Pier Runners on Icon of the seas.

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 8:52 PM, soremekun said:

Only part of the account I don't believe:

"On the way there, a worker comes up to me and says "are you Klfhngr?""

How do you even pronounce that.  Nope, didn't happen, lol.

@klfhngr

Gotcha.  That was a joke.  "Klfhngr" is unpronounceable, in English.

Edited by soremekun
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

He needs to buy some vowels.😀

Bringing this back to the cruise world, Vanna would make $45 in gratuity every time someone purchased a vowel.  That's pocket change for her.

Hmmm.  Maybe less than $45.  She would have to split it with Pat and the behind the scenes staff.  I digress.

Edited by soremekun

15 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Bringing this back to the cruise world, Vanna would make $45 in gratuity every time someone purchased a vowel.  That's pocket change for her.

Hmmm.  Maybe less than $45.  She would have to split it with Pat and the behind the scenes staff.  I digress.

Are you including the gratuity in that number or is it an add-on?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, soremekun said:

That's awesome. I need to cut some vowels out of "soremekun" so I can fit it on a license plate.

I had a sore mekun once. It's no joke. Hope it improves soon.😉

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Most ports charge per docking or to be price per berth usage.

Every port has a limited number of berths. No. of berths x 365 days = max. amount they can have as income.

Thats why they usually charge per day.(midnight to midnight) It doesn`t matter whether a ship is docked from 7 am till 5 pm or from 5 am till 11 pm. Only when the ship e.g. is docking from 8 am till 8 am next day then there is an additional charge.Some ports do charge supplements for arrival/departure during night times(e.g. between 10 pm and 6 am) but this depends on the port fee tariff of each port.

I do know it because i studied a lot of port fee tariffs(because i was curious on how much a average day in port costs) and because of many Q&A`s with captain and other nautical officers.(german market cruise line AIDA does Q&A`s with the captain on almost every cruise)

That's cool for a start. Is the berth for the cruise line or the specific ship? (I'm thinking about things like days at some ports when more ships are due than there are piers.)

Of course this has very little bearing on pier runners, since departure times are generally driven by the need to get to the next port on time...but I think that was your point.

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've seen the Harbor Pilot come /go from the ship.  That's something only a young, healthy person can do....

this group was far from young and healthy.  What did the article say?  Four elderly, one quadrapalegic, one pregnant woman?  

Not saying anyone else should or could do this, but seemed fitting to reference this video here. Captain Kate (Celebrity Beyond) has a video where the harbor pilot in Port Everglades climbs the ladder pregnant. (3 hours after her baby shower).

5 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

That's cool for a start. Is the berth for the cruise line or the specific ship? (I'm thinking about things like days at some ports when more ships are due than there are piers.)

Most ports handle it based on first come first serve. The first cruise who books a berth on a specific day gets the "best" berth (e.g. closest to the city or whatever). In case there are more ship calls than available berths then usually the cruise line that has booked a berth for that day the latest has to tender their guests in.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I guess I am too, it was obvious a mistake but I didn’t edit.😂

I was assuming you meant "dock", but also thought "if that's an actual nautical word, it's REALLY funny".  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Most ports handle it based on first come first serve. The first cruise who books a berth on a specific day gets the "best" berth (e.g. closest to the city or whatever). In case there are more ship calls than available berths then usually the cruise line that has booked a berth for that day the latest has to tender their guests in.

On our last 2 Alaska cruises, on Radiance and Brilliance, in Juneau we always dock at the furthest dock from town.  Holland America, Princess, Celebrity get the berths closest to town.   So if Royal always books a berth last, that’s why they get the furthest dock from town?  I thought Princess pays more to get the dock right in town.

16 minutes ago, TeamCan said:

On our last 2 Alaska cruises, on Radiance and Brilliance, in Juneau we always dock at the furthest dock from town.  Holland America, Princess, Celebrity get the berths closest to town.   So if Royal always books a berth last, that’s why they get the furthest dock from town?  I thought Princess pays more to get the dock right in town.

I'm thinking the same thing. Royal never seems to get the closer dock at Cozumel. It seems unlikely that it is because they didn't book first every single time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm thinking the same thing. Royal never seems to get the closer dock at Cozumel. It seems unlikely that it is because they didn't book first every single time.

I have found the same thing in Cozumel. I suspect RCI gets some sort of deal to do that just like they do at Crown Bay on St. Thomas. It doesn't seem to matter that it is much more inconvenient for many of their customers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have found the same thing in Cozumel. I suspect RCI gets some sort of deal to do that just like they do at Crown Bay on St. Thomas. It doesn't seem to matter that it is much more inconvenient for many of their customers.

Years ago, Royal used to give "Ship Shape" dollars for engaging in physical activities onboard. I can't believe how hard we worked for those yellow paper Monopoly style money dollars to exchange for shirts, water bottles, and visors. So much fun and so many memories.

The competition was brutal and some people tried to pull the "New York Marathon via the subway" run. We might have to do ten laps around the promenade deck to get a "Buck".

They would do slow laps, disappear for a while and mysteriously appear during the "last" lap.

I still laugh when I think about it.

"Money for nothing and your chicks for free." (Dire Straits, 1985)

Now , Royal is helping us to get additional steps in as they are consistently ported at the furthest dock.

Now, at Nassau, I think I walk more steps from the gangplank to the exit of the port area than ten times around the promenade on the Nordic Prince.

Where are my "Ship Shape dollars" for doing my exercise?

Come on Royal, "Throw me a bone."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've seen the Harbor Pilot come /go from the ship.  That's something only a young, healthy person can do, and -- if the article is truthful, which is never a sure thing -- this group was far from young and healthy.  What did the article say?  Four elderly, one quadrapalegic, one pregnant woman?  Seems like an unlikely number of medical issues for a group of nine.  

Nor have I.  With the media being what is is, we don't know much for sure.  

If this is true , why would any coast guard captain ever consider it a viable option ?

On 3/28/2024 at 7:37 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

it’s sad that people get enjoyment from others suffering. And it’s not just on this site. 

There is a BIG difference between no sympathy and enjoyment.

Get real

12 hours ago, SRF said:

There is a BIG difference between no sympathy and enjoyment.

Get real

Yeah, when a high school students fails my class, I have little sympathy.  By the time that failing grade is written in permanent marker, I've warned the student, offered help, warned about absences, called parents, contacted guidance counselors and administrators.  I don't really feel sorry for them.  They're in a bad place, but they've made multiple bad choices to get themselves into that situation.  

I don't dance around singing, "Whoo-hoo, Johnny's going to summer school!"  

• Like 2