Remembering the Ryndam and reliving time on a terrific ship!

Holland America friends:  We sailed the Ryndam twice, and both experiences were terrific.  We love the size of the ship.  When Celestyal cruises bought the former Ryndam and put 20MM Euros into freshening her up, we thought we would check it out while waiting on our next HAL cruise in May.  If any are interested, I am doing a "Somewhat Live" on the Celestyal board.  Here is a link:

I will comment more on this in the live thread, but there are many pieces of the old Ryndam still present.  Most of the signs, including the "Mix" bar.  The artwork in the hallways on cabins remain from the Ryndam.  Things I thought would have been changed but I'm happy to have a windmill portrait in our cabin!  All the best!

• Like 6

Some of the old R-class and S-class ships were themed.  Ryndam was the "nautical" ship. Being a sailor myself (racing and crewing on boats with actual sails), I loved her! The atrium centerpiece was a bowsprit figurehead from an old sailing vessel.  The featured artifacts (the stuff in the glass cases throughout the R-class and S-class ships) were all nautical -- old sextants, compasses, AWESOME ship models, etc!

Please tell me if some (or any) of this remains.

TIA

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha!!

Wow this brings back such wonderful memories for us!!!

She was our first to have sailed on her and 4 more after that!!

We so loved the R Class and S Class ships!! 
That was the first time I had my first WANG-WANG and had 2!!! Was young need I say more! 😂 LOL. I learned my lesson quick!!! 24 cruises with HAL and still going strong 💪!!

Thanks for memory lane!

🌺Mahalo, Denise🤗

• Like 1

The Ryndam sailed out of Tampa many times. Along with the Veendam, she was well liked by Tampa cruisers.  I did a 28 day cruise on the Ryndam in 2013; 14 days out of Dover to the top of Norway and 14 days to the Baltic including St Petersburg.

It was one of my favorites!

I loved that ship, as I loved all the S- and R-class ships. Those were large cabins, even in the cheap seats, comfortable ships, and so easy to get around. 

But from what I read on your 'live from' thread, I think I wouldn't be happy sailing her as she is now. It is clearly not the Ryndam I had such good times on. 

Thank you for your posts! 

The R class (and maybe S class) also had that informal bridge-wing viewing area that was always enjoyable to visit when docking.  I recall when a family member worked for HAL and invited us onboard a brand new Maasdam in Seattle for lunch.  We later sailed on her and then later the Ryndam.  Do any of you remember that the Statendam and Maasdam (and maybe Ryndam and Veendam) had an escalator from deck 2 to deck 3 (I think?).  I think they were removed during drydocks, but I recall hearing it was to speed up getting folks to and from the common gangway deck.  Funny how that "speed" was needed on a ship holding 1200.

2 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

The R class (and maybe S class) also had that informal bridge-wing viewing area that was always enjoyable to visit when docking.  I recall when a family member worked for HAL and invited us onboard a brand new Maasdam in Seattle for lunch.  We later sailed on her and then later the Ryndam.  Do any of you remember that the Statendam and Maasdam (and maybe Ryndam and Veendam) had an escalator from deck 2 to deck 3 (I think?).  I think they were removed during drydocks, but I recall hearing it was to speed up getting folks to and from the common gangway deck.  Funny how that "speed" was needed on a ship holding 1200.

11 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Some of the old R-class and S-class ships were themed.  Ryndam was the "nautical" ship. Being a sailor myself (racing and crewing on boats with actual sails), I loved her! The atrium centerpiece was a bowsprit figurehead from an old sailing vessel.  The featured artifacts (the stuff in the glass cases throughout the R-class and S-class ships) were all nautical -- old sextants, compasses, AWESOME ship models, etc!

Please tell me if some (or any) of this remains.

TIA

That centerpiece is sadly gone.  In its place is a large table with a 'fake' library of books in the middle.  That is however a good spot to play games.  I believe most of the glass cases are removed.  The showroom is very comfortable however!  You don't find legroom like that on the newer ships!

2 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I remember the escalator in 2009.  I was surprised to find that on a ship.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We sailed on Statendam class ships 7 times and on the little larger Volendam 3 times, at the time they were classy wonderful ships and we always had great cruises. As things evolved the Eurodam is now our favorite ship as she is a classy ship with a bit more room and amenities and has the classic wrap-around promenade decks which is something we are not seeing anymore on the new ships.

Edited by MISTER 67

15 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Do any of you remember that the Statendam and Maasdam (and maybe Ryndam and Veendam) had an escalator from deck 2 to deck 3 (I think?).  I think they were removed during drydocks, but I recall hearing it was to speed up getting folks to and from the common gangway deck.  Funny how that "speed" was needed on a ship holding 1200.

I remember the escalators well, and you are right they went from Main Deck to Lower Promenade. One in each direction. They came in quite handy, and were always ready for 'boarding'. Loved the 'no waiting' part!