Amount to tip the concierge per request.

Does anyone have recommendations or history tipping the concierge on a per request bases and how much per request?  We are sailing next month on Enchanted and will most likely use them quite a bit given we are having a hard time getting dinner reservation, the spa times we want,  and we are going to ask them if they can get us a cabana which i know is a tall order but if they are successful, how much would you tip for that kind of request?

I read online that the recommendation for a regular concierge at a hotel is $5-20 depending on complexity of the request so would that apply here?

And before we go down a rabbit hole, i know some people dont use or tip the concierge, we are going to and would like to try per request this time vs. the end of the cruise tip like we usually do.

thanks

Unless you are trying to make specialty dinner reservations (which they can help you with - especially the first night free dinner) you do not need reservations as you have reserved dining which is walk in anytime with little or no wait 

• Like 3

I do not travel in a suite- so I will ask a stupid question:

isn't the conceirge part of the service of the suite occupants ??

why are you going to tip each time you go and ask for their help with something.  You paid for that service when you booked the suite and overpaid for the cabin

Sorry, but it is beginning to feel that you should walk on board the ship - hand over your wallet, credit cards and first born child and sail away.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

I don't tip them anything per request. That is their job. If they do a great job throughout the cruise I may tip at the end of the cruise but most of the time they just do what I would expect of them so no tip required IMO.

Guest Snaxmuppet
16 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

I do not travel in a suite- so I will ask a stupid question:

isn't the conceirge part of the service of the suite occupants ??

why are you going to tip each time you go and ask for their help with something.  You paid for that service when you booked the suite and overpaid for the cabin

Sorry, but it is beginning to feel that you should walk on board the ship - hand over your wallet, credit cards and first born child and sail away.  

I do travel in a suite and I totally agree. I really don't understand why so many people want to throw money at the crew.

Concierge is an included service in a suite. We don't need to pay extra for it unless they go out of their way to do something beyond the norm.

The problem is that if so many people do it then it comes to be expected and it shouldn't IMO.

1 hour ago, MJU said:

Unless you are trying to make specialty dinner reservations (which they can help you with - especially the first night free dinner) you do not need reservations as you have reserved dining which is walk in anytime with little or no wait 

Thats interesting, we didnt know that.  So there is a separate queue for suite guests?

thx

1 hour ago, 20165 said:

Does anyone have recommendations or history tipping the concierge on a per request bases and how much per request?  We are sailing next month on Enchanted and will most likely use them quite a bit given we are having a hard time getting dinner reservation, the spa times we want,  and we are going to ask them if they can get us a cabana which i know is a tall order but if they are successful, how much would you tip for that kind of request?

I read online that the recommendation for a regular concierge at a hotel is $5-20 depending on complexity of the request so would that apply here?

And before we go down a rabbit hole, i know some people dont use or tip the concierge, we are going to and would like to try per request this time vs. the end of the cruise tip like we usually do.

thanks

We don't normally travel in full suites but I would tip $20 an the end of the cruise depending on what they actually did for me.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Thats interesting, we didnt know that.  So there is a separate queue for suite guests?

thx

Yes, a separate queue for Suites.  The best part of the Suite life, is not waiting in line. 

Edited by mrmarklin
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

with a brief conversation you can get an idea of what the staff member is interested in. Since they are very busy and usually don't get a chance to go ashore while in port. The information gathered can be used to purchase a physical gift to show your appreciation.  Perhaps a nice bottle of wine, candy or a tee shirt .... He/she will be pleasantly surprised and grateful. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2

We tip a lot of people on a cruise but the concierge is not one of them. On Royal class ships they are part of the suite perks so no tip needed. We really only use them for specialty dinner reservations. On non Royal class ships we get help from the Sabatini’s breakfast manager

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 20165 said:

thx

No separate queue. There is a separate area of the MDR with a separate entrance 

• Like 3

If we use them a lot and they work hard to take care of our needs, we tip them at the end of the cruise. The amount is up to your discretion. If we don’t use their services much or not at all, we don’t tip. 

47 minutes ago, c-boy said:

with a brief conversation you can get an idea of what the staff member is interested in. Since they are very busy and usually don't get a chance to go ashore while in port. The information gathered can be used to purchase a physical gift to show your appreciation.  Perhaps a nice bottle of wine, candy or a tee shirt .... He/she will be pleasantly surprised and grateful. 

I'm amazed anyone would think this is a good idea.  I sense that doing something like this would just come across as completely patronising and inappropriate.  This is the 21st century and these are adult individuals working for a salary.  They are not confined to the ship and do not need anyone else to buy them clothes or candy as if they are a 5-year old child.  They may be surprised if someone does this, but I'm pretty certain they won't be grateful.  More likely, they will feel de-humanised and demeaned.  It's not the 19th century and they are not domestic servants.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I always give a small tip at the very beginning of the cruise and then tip again at the end of the cruise.  Amount depends on the level of service I receive during the week.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 20165 said:

thx

No real queue. Just walk up to the Reserve Class DR entrance anytime the DR is open and you will be seated promptly, basically no wait. No reservations required. I believe the Reserve Class DR on the Enchanted Princess is the Capri DR, deck 6, mid ship. The DR is open every day for breakfast and dinner and for lunch on sea days. But, also remember the great option, one of the best benefits for those in full suites, that full suite guests are provided the full suite, basically made to order, breakfast each morning in Sabatini's.

You will only require dining reservations for specialty dining. The included full suite specialty restaurant dining on boarding night is easy to get. It's not crowded on boarding day. 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 20165 said:

thanks

No tip per request.
It is what you pay for when booking a suite with concierge.

Tipping them after every request is just ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 hours ago, memoak said:

No separate queue. There is a separate area of the MDR with a separate entrance 

Yes, there is a separate queue on Sky... to the left. The queue to the right is the normal MDR queue.

7 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I'm amazed anyone would think this is a good idea.  I sense that doing something like this would just come across as completely patronising and inappropriate.  This is the 21st century and these are adult individuals working for a salary.  They are not confined to the ship and do not need anyone else to buy them clothes or candy as if they are a 5-year old child.  They may be surprised if someone does this, but I'm pretty certain they won't be grateful.  More likely, they will feel de-humanised and demeaned.  It's not the 19th century and they are not domestic servants.  

I don’t know about Princess, but on some cruise lines the monetary tips are all pooled, and the only way to ensure a tip gets to the person you want to give it to, is to do it in the form of a gift.  

Also, I seriously doubt that a person, when given a bottle of wine as a thank you, will say to themselves, boy do I feel de-humanised and demeaned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Also, I seriously doubt that a person, when given a bottle of wine as a thank you, will say to themselves, boy do I feel de-humanised and demeaned.

What about the candy or teeshirts they also mentioned. Is that ok not to demean them also?? 

'Perhaps a nice bottle of wine, candy or a tee shirt .... He/she will be pleasantly surprised and grateful.'

I do this for my room steward and a few others.  Many times, they are unable to get off at a port.  It may be too short, they may be working, They.....Often times, they will decline my offer.

I once had an Assistant Manager ask me to track down some razor blades and vitamins.  I had a room steward ask me to bring him back a magnet from a particular port.  One asked me for chocolate bars.

When I visit a port, I most often just meander around town.  So not a huge task for me.  

7 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

• Like 3