Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We rarely order steaks as I fell I can cook a better steak than any restaurant.     I use to work the grills in a steak house when in University. 

I would gladly listen if you were willing to share any tips, my wife and I love steak.

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

My first visit was in May-August 1960, I was 10 years old and had lost my father the previous November.  My mom and I went and spent the summer with my youngest sister and her husband, who was stationed at Kaneohe. That was back when they were trucking loads of sand from windward beaches to Waikiki over the old Pali Highway. 

Wow, those were the good old days! Sorry you lost your dad so long ago. We moved to Hilo in 1961 for 6 years and then to Oahu for 20 years before I got hired with American Airlines and based at DFW. My first time to ever live somewhere besides Hawaii and it was such a shock to my system! We retired to Kihei 2008 and love living here. Airplanes and cruise ships keep us from getting Rock Fever lol.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Maui4us said:

I am so glad you got to see Lahaina and have fond memories. Maui is very open to Malihini (visitors) and only ask for respect, patience and reverence when here. Many residents are still very much in mourning and suffering. I was raised on Oahu and am a Kailua High '78 grad.

-Kelley

I can definitely understand and they don't want to visit to be voyeurs but to help support some of the local restaurants that are struggling to   survive.

The one that Reggi Aqui on KGO was recommending is Mala Ocean Tavern which is one of the first to reopen. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Technically not broccoli  --- it is broccoli rabbe ---    Similar but in my opinion sweeter and much more tender

image.thumb.png.91d429c97ae1cf462c098d94b042a349.png

just bought that today.. Sal will make beans, broccoli rabbe, and sausage..one of our fav peasant dishes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

.. We  cruised 15 days round trip  on Summit..yrs ago...one of our best trips..   Old memories fade so pls forgive me if I do not have this sharp in my mind. Just hit a big birthday this year!

.  We were in  port in Honolulu  overnight..  walked alot & saw Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach   the big pink hotel,  Dukes, the surfer monument. & .great jewelry  shopping .

Also took a tour that stopped at the big cemetery,  memorials to King (?)

Kameahmea( sic)..and other historic  places

Most moving to us was the  visit to the ARIZONA and museum...so well done but possibly not in great shape.

Wish all Americans could visit to honor those who gave their lives for our country!  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Most moving to us was the  visit to the ARIZONA and museum...so well done but possibly not in great shape.

What struck me when visiting the War Cemetery was the enormous size....so many lives lost and along with the Arizona Memorial it was a very sad visit.  DH lost his father in Italy WWII when he was a baby.  Made us think of how many young men were buried there who had also never seen their baby.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Definitely not the best view of Honolulu but awoke to a beautiful morning.  There is something magical about Hawaii.  I'm not sure whether it is the ever present fragrance of the flowers, the mild temperatures, the trade winds.

Honolulu also brings back so many memories -   Good, Bad, Happy, Sad that it makes me emotional with feelings.   I met my first boyfriend here in Waikiki when on vacation with my 3 year old son.  It was a tumultuous relationship and was never meant to be.   I use to commute back and forth every couple weeks.   As all good things (in this case bad) must come to an end I spent 4-5 hours sitting on the edge of the War Memorial Natatorium in tears (both the most beautiful and ugly spot in Waikiki) I finally had the strength to go home and drop the bomb that I was leaving forever.    I was on a flight back to the Mainland within hour.   I had tried numerous times but failed.   I'm sure some that have been in a abusive relationship can understand.

The War Memorial Natatorium was a memorial to Hawaii participation in WWI as a swimming area with bleachers.   It was permanently closed in 1979 and is now slowly be reclaimed by nature.   I've never been back and I may just drop by and say mahalo a aloha!

Spoiler:  this is  personal to Jim..others can skip if they want!

Perhaps you and Ian can exchange gifts or tokens  on the beach,to mark a renewal  of your life bond...and  let the tide take away bad memories. 

I worked with abuse cases for many yrs.. the scars remain but the courage to break away is a cause for Celebration.  All victims deserve to heal!

good thoughts!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to admit I was never a fan of SPAM. 

Have to agree with you re: Spam, uck🤐.

Hope you have a wonderful visit in Hawaii, as always it has been great fun following you and Iain’s trip.  Katie

Edited by Oville

46 minutes ago, hcat said:

just bought that today.. Sal will make beans, broccoli rabbe, and sausage..one of our fav peasant dishes!

I had the Turkey Club also and mine had broccolini as shown in the picture - sort of like Chinese broccoli - sweet taste. Broccoli Rabe (Rapini) is a very leafy somewhat bitter vegetable that is used in Italian cooking. The bitter taste is a key component to the flavor when combined with other ingredients - yet some recipes recommend boiling first to remove the bitterness and IMO removes the unique flavor. Simply sauté with garlic, sausage, and beans with a splash of broth and red pepper flakes. Typically served with orecchiette pasta.

61eR1HdWZPL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.jpg.22c314ca3311bbd6c3076da221a55a5c.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Perhaps you and Ian can exchange gifts or tokens  on the beach,to mark a renewal  of your life bond...and  let the tide take away bad memories. 

I worked with abuse cases for many yrs.. the scars remain but the courage to break away is a cause for Celebration.  All victims deserve to heal!

good thoughts!

@hcat LOVE THIS❤️

-Kelley

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Oville said:

Have to agree with you re: Spam, uck🤐.

Sacrilegious I say.  

SPAM is delicious.  Fried and served with eggs, made into a sandwich, cut into little cubs and used in fried rice, and who cannot like spam musubi.  My wife makes the latter with fried egg. 

As they would say in Hawaii -- broke da mouth. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We haven't been back since our last TP in 2012.   Yikes --can't believe it has been a decade.   The biggest disappointment and probably gotten worse is all the small mom and pop restaurants we once frequented have been bulldozed and replaced with Rodeo Drive type shops and expensive restaurants. 

I'm sure we will find all of the local foods in Downtown Honolulu and the Ala Moana Mall area.

I have to admit I was never a fan of SPAM. 

Lovely view at the Monkeypod for lunch in Waikiki 🌴🌞🌴

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Sacrilegious I say.  

SPAM is delicious.  Fried and served with eggs, made into a sandwich, cut into little cubs and used in fried rice, and who cannot like spam musubi.  My wife makes the latter with fried egg. 

Not at all, something I just don’t care for and would never eat.  So if it upset you sorry, I’m guessing I’m not the only non-Spam lover for example Jim.

Jim and Iain, enjoy Hawaii and the next leg of your cruise to Vancouver.

6 hours ago, hcat said:

.. We  cruised 15 days round trip  on Summit..yrs ago...one of our best trips..   Old memories fade so pls forgive me if I do not have this sharp in my mind. Just hit a big birthday this year!

.  We were in  port in Honolulu  overnight..  walked alot & saw Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach   the big pink hotel,  Dukes, the surfer monument. & .great jewelry  shopping .

Also took a tour that stopped at the big cemetery,  memorials to King (?)

Kameahmea( sic)..and other historic  places

Wish all Americans could visit to honor those who gave their lives for our country!  

There is so much to do in Honolulu.   Today is picture perfect.  We won't be doing much as we have been to Honolulu many times.     I would agree that the Visit to USS Arizona is very moving and will always stay with me.  

It makes us so grateful to those who have served our country.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, hcat said:

good thoughts!

Thanks for the warm words.   I have a feeling that this is a a journey I will have to travel alone.  I decided to take the day to myself as Iain wanted to stay on the ship and get things packed up.   Can you tell who the organized one is. 

While I didn't make it into Waikik I walked down to Ala Moana Park and spent the day just releasing the energy of the past.    I'm not sure if any of you have been to this lovely mostly neglected spot of beauty.   I ended up walking 10 miles and finished my day by taking a plug in the beautiful azule waters. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hope everyone is ready to go with a wandering with destination in mine.  After breakfast we had to clear immigration.    The retreat crew made it totally painless and actully saw very small lines by the time we went around 9:30.

We are docked at Cruise Pier 2 which is the closest to Waikiki.   Last time we were here was about 10 years ago and not sure if it even existed back then.   We previously sailed out of Pier 11 which is at the base of the Aloha Tower.

It is a very modern terminal and one can tell how much went into planning it for both comfort ease of checkin.     Passengers joining tomorrow will really enjoy it.

IMG_4447.thumb.jpeg.2105c7a0186916eba3d4a8bbc150a1cf.jpeg

Beautiful checkinnarea

IMG_4450.thumb.jpeg.b0271c6461ff5b4f5d7215d7b7050b6e.jpeg

IMG_4451.thumb.jpeg.657adb526989db442eecaafcebaf3e43.jpeg

IMG_4452.thumb.jpeg.87f90f42a3705dac55610fbb1015e127.jpeg

IMG_4453.thumb.jpeg.5b5d2fb6933c4ef5b1c51cfe9eb4e1c6.jpeg

With plenty of seating if required. 

IMG_4454.thumb.jpeg.789c970b50946a1d53bda4580e682469.jpeg

For the comfort of passengers excursion meeting places are inside. 

IMG_4455.thumb.jpeg.8c6b21a3e40cc9ee7b389eaa22946580.jpeg

IMG_4456.thumb.jpeg.4fdae7592454cad66c6981263dc8b880.jpeg

Lots of cabs available just outside the door. 

IMG_4457.thumb.jpeg.52d582ebd4b1d6ccf78902060a5a712d.jpeg

And off I go

IMG_4458.thumb.jpeg.e5423d2516e52d60a863bda08b6df0f6.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 10

Posted (edited)

When I reached Ala Moana Blvd I turned right and off to explore. 

Ala Moana is a major street with lots to see and hear. 

IMG_4459.thumb.jpeg.2f3ee35ac9579cd96d66ff58a5f2f7a9.jpeg

Behind high shrubs is the Na Kupuna Malala’s Center -  It is an hidden secret-

Na Kupuna Makamae Center provides innovative, quality services and programs dedicated to our seniors, their families, and community that will empower, educate, enlighten, and entertain.

IMG_4462.thumb.jpeg.98b0a0112f20f036d16d14a1fc46aa9a.jpeg

IMG_4465.thumb.jpeg.9f40d2aaefbcfe15130703e226eeed18.jpeg

IMG_4463.thumb.jpeg.98a62170f5ee9e9c5e96d05114e53960.jpeg

IMG_4466.thumb.jpeg.2b79cc5773833779b341bd1699bdbbe7.jpeg

At the entrance to Kewalo Basin Harbor they have a Farmers Market on weekend and it a beautiful place to just relax and grab a snack at the many food trucks.

IMG_4467.thumb.jpeg.7da9282243b9eb797298e852a47177ae.jpeg

IMG_4468.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2024 at 5:51 PM, mahdnc said:

Ruth (and @MamaFej),

Yes!  The first photo is of the inner corona and you can see the pink solar prominences.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2a335f9baaf6bde8cb71ff718527d51.jpeg

This photo shows the middle to outer corona:

image.thumb.jpeg.6dbf621fb992da157b23fccef7973c02.jpeg

We watched the eclipse from Vienna, IL which is near the Ohio River off of I-24.  We had 3.7 minutes of totality.  The April weather made viewing conditions touch and go for many parts of America that were in the path of totality.  

I hope you are doing well, Ruth.

I presume you had very clear skies from your Princess cruise ship, MamaFej.

David

How kind of you to remember, David. 

This is my first time back to CC since before my 12 week trip that started in early January. I apologize for the late acknowledgement. 

Yes, watching the TSE from the ship was amazing! Princess did an absolutely remarkable job of making the experience as fantastic as possilbe, and they succeeded! From the scientists onboard giving fantastic talks (available later on-demand for the rest of the cruise), the Captain answering 68 unique written questions in.a recorded on-demand program, the captain recording another program the night before, showing the weather forecast, and how he planned to get us into a spot with 4% cloud cover, as opposed to the 30% forecasted in surrounding areas, telling us 5 days in advance that the Starboard side would face the sun, so people could choose to stay in their cabins* and view from their balconies, reducing on-deck crowds, having crew walk around with sunscreen for folks to use, having radio silence during the entire experience, to having another Princess ship come within a couple of miles of us, to the ship's photographers capturing the other ship during totality, so the 360 degree sunset effect was in the background. They truly excelled.

Outside of the eclipse, the 360 dinner was phenomenal! It's a 6 course meal with paired cocktails and wine in a dining room that's sort of like interactive La Petite Chef on steroids combined with the Cirlcevision 360 attraction that used to be at Disneyland, plus smell-o-vision, and live music. Really amazing!

Apparently Steve Wozniak is a umbraphile, too. He was onboard and gave a talk the final day of the cruise. 

As for the rest of the cruise... it was too big of a (beautiful) ship, too crowded, too LOUD, with largely indifferent service (with a few fabulous exceptions) and totally worth it for the eclipse at sea experience. 

*We were on the starboard side, but chose to be on the very top deck, so we could experience the 360 degree sunset effect. PapaFej staked out the best spot on the ship at 5:15 am, nearly 6 hours before totality, because he is awesome. We took turns holding down the fort until the eclipse started around 9. 

We now return you to your regularly schduled Jim & Iain are awesome thread. 

• Like 8

Even thought Ala Moana Park begins here --- I diverted to the Shopping Center.    Incredible shopping with a Rack, Macy, Walmart, Target, Nordstrom, Marshall as well as lots of food places and a beautiful mall.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Sacrilegious I say.  

I am sure it is delicious but memories of times past and income lacking - Baloney and Spam were a regular part of my life.    College life was both a joy and a struggle....

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Bill - I was also watching the beautiful Rainbows.  

We must have captured at the same time.  Moana Valley sure put on a treat for us tonight. 

IMG_4542.thumb.jpeg.0d0697393f2c00b3f53f5c779eb022ce.jpeg

IMG_4543.thumb.jpeg.3ffd4710493e52faf4b95da5eb35c11a.jpeg

IMG_4544.thumb.jpeg.85284ef2b0a2adf2ec272ae52b0b4efe.jpeg

IMG_4545.thumb.jpeg.3ac7872654452e219dd394a48f26164b.jpeg

IMG_4546.thumb.jpeg.45d850f4aa529c92b890b5c15a9d70b3.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 31