Dogs

37 minutes ago, Kay S said:

...However, I wonder how widespread this supposed "fraud" is on cruise ships since I have never seen more than the occasional service dog, and most voyages, seen none. 

I say you're lucky and fortunate you've not encountered a non-service dog on a cruise. Just because you haven't, does not mean it's not happening. This thread is an indication this is not a unique one time incident - it's a real issue. A simple search here on CC will result in multiple threads of multiple incidents. 

The holiday K'dam cruise as well as the one after are 2 recent examples. Unfortunate reality of cruising today.

Just simply not service animals.

20240103_210149.thumb.jpg.594069fd8f38db7aa7def4ebb8b84be6.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cccole said:

You give me encouragement to lie about why he could be with us on a cruise.  You're awesome. Cherie 

Sound like plan!

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I say you're lucky and fortunate you've not encountered a non-service dog on a cruise.

Luck is in the eye of the beholder.  Those two little dogs here are mighty adorable.  Of course I do not have the gift of second sight where I can tell just by looking at someone if he or she needs a service animal.  

Edited by Kay S

16 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Luck is in the eye of the beholder.  Those two little dogs here are mighty adorable.  Of course I do not have the gift of second sight where I can tell just by looking at someone if he or she needs a service animal.  

So mighty adorable, those dogs.  Is there a need for multiple service animals?  And usually service animals are not permitted to have close encounters with others.  The response when someone asks if they can pet them is normally, "No, they're working."  Happy travels and thanks for giving the heads up to those who want to lie.  Our 16 year old dog is "mighty adorable" and you give me hope for bringing him on a cruise.  Cherie 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Do you think that chicken made an appearance in the dining room?

Probably only later during the dessert serving otherwise it could have become an entree!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Is the ADA the controlling authority on cruise ships?

Didn't someone just answer this question earlier in the thread?

• Thanks 1

Not cruise related, but we recently (2 weeks ago) flew home on AA connecting in Charlotte, NC.  While waiting at our gate, a passenger approached the gate agent to ask a question with a dog on it's leash, the dog lifted it's leg and relieved itself at the base of the counter.  We were horrified, notified the agent of what was going on, who said they would clean it later, which never happened while we waited.  Shortly thereafter, a toddler came along and crept dangerously close to the mess.  Be reminded that there may be more imbedded in the carpet of your cabin than you expect.

• Like 3

Just now, Kay S said:

Didn't someone just answer this question earlier in the thread?

I don't know.  But thanks for such a helpful reply.  And so generous of you to spend 10 words not answering the question when a one word answer would have sufficed.  I'm now going to send myself to stand in the corner for ten minutes.  You have a nice day!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think if you have the resources/money/entitlement/loyalty/the expectations/know the right people/connections the cruise lines will let take your "sketchy no so sure service dog/s" on the cruise ship. This image says it all. Just saying. I luv dogs & Cats I have both. 💖 Screenshot2024-04-09191350.png.e36069cae14a79c4a7b108615b3e581a.png

Edited by shandryl

1 minute ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I don't know.  But thanks for such a helpful reply.  And so generous of you to spend 10 words not answering the question when a one word answer would have sufficed.  I'm now going to send myself to stand in the corner for ten minutes.  You have a nice day!

Alternatively, you could spend that time gong back through this thread to find the answer which was, as I recall, not a simple yes or no.  I guess if you want a one word answer it is "depends."

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While I agree that there is abuse of the system in allowing dogs that are not true service animals to pose as such, 

And it is really unfortunate that those that abuse the rules cause legitimate service animals to come into (unfair) question.  Particularly the less obvious one such as diabetes dogs.  And I think I read that a dog can be trained to tell when an epileptic is about to go into a seizure.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Can a 'concerned passenger' make that enquiry of Guest Services?  i.e. "I have seen a passenger with a dog.  Can you tell me what service the dog provides to the passenger?"  Or will 'privacy concerns' be quoted?

I honestly I hope they wouldn’t tell you. It’s really none of your business and not your place to know. You can def report it if you see something wrong. But you’re not entitled to someone else’s personal info. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Alternatively, you could spend that time gong back through this thread to find the answer which was, as I recall, not a simple yes or no.  I guess if you want a one word answer it is "depends."

It really is a simple yes or no.  If you have a service animal it is o.k.  "Depends" on what...lying?  Non legitimate service animals should not be onboard.  If you lie and bring your family pet on board, well...unless HAL cares there is not a problem.  I think our dog would be a great cruiser.  Cherie  

17 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I marvel at your facility at giving unhelpful responses.  Thanks!

Back to the corner for another ten minutes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, cccole said:

The above photo is of a comfort dog not a service dog?   Is there no official paperwork that is required?  The woman has a brace on her knee but the dog does not seem to be helping with that.  I would love to bring our dog on a cruise but I just don't think I can put a fake "service dog" halter on him.  The other problem is taking your dog in an area where there may be someone who is allergic to dogs.  Post #11 does make me think twice about judging.  Maybe the woman in Post #14 has problems that we are not aware of.  So sad if someone is abusing a program meant to help those with special needs.  Cherie

That type of "Service Dog" harness is easily purchased on line!!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

That type of "Service Dog" harness is easily purchased on line!!

I don't think I could do this.  We would never take our 16 year old into a dining venue or walking with other cruisers.  It's crazy to think that if you lie it is o.k. to bring your family dog on a cruise.  I was thinking of chartering a flight to Hawaii where he can be in the cabin, but lying and bringing him on a cruise seems so much easier.  I am disgusted at those who think that a non service animal has the right to be in the same space as a trained service dog.  JMO. Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

Here's an interesting video about the dogs(and chickens!)that stayed onboard the historic Queen Mary in the past...

https://youtu.be/iEswhQWmuu4?si=KsVauK5ziAdXBHQq

Screenshot2024-04-09191350.png.e36069cae14a79c4a7b108615b3e581a.png

The current Queen Mary 2 still allows both pet dogs and pet cats onboard for transatlantic crossings but they have a designated kennel area and cannot roam the ship freely.  

• Like 1