Sad news today on our Miracle cruise

This happened today as we were debarking off the ship in Honolulu, of all the reports of ship happenings over the years this is by far the worst in my knowledge. The ship Captain announced and confirmed the facts respectfully at dinner time, the mood is somber.

Otherwise, it’s been a very nice cruise so far, lots of heavy hearts.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/04/12/12-people-injured-including-one-critically-after-shuttle-bus-loses-control-near-honolulu-pier/?outputType=amp&fbclid=IwAR3Hv4mPoUmMg1McGZsfIlFIIb1nQVV6op3en91rGnfgKzOotIb1LLICy38_aem_AYo-2LNFwAsqXgIK8vRJOCb2YXKzUAaysU6V6NG67_-BEDqy5DNK17YA6rGuLgYVlTU-TFH4ZoIkHrFtirF37ATj

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

What a horrible thing!  I hope none of the injured were from your ship.

All of them injured today were from our ship. We had just arrived at port and this happened right at the cruise terminal exit as we were all getting our rides to wherever we were going. 

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, tree.critter said:

All of them injured today were from our ship. We had just arrived at port and this happened right at the cruise terminal exit as we were all getting our rides to wherever we were going. 

So sad. Our thoughts and prayers are with all who were involved. 🙏

• Like 2

Prayers out to the injured, and condolences to the family who lost a loved one.  We should be thankful for every minute we are here, as you never know what may happen.

• Like 8

Sad news indeed. I encourage all who travel to consider an annual travel insurance policy. Several companies offer trip cancellation and medical coverage. I have an annual policy we used when the wife busted her hip walking the dog a day before a cruise. Cancelled cruise cost recovered.

An accident out of your home country requiring medical treatment can be devastatingly expensive. Bon Voyage!

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

Sad news indeed. I encourage all who travel to consider an annual travel insurance policy. Several companies offer trip cancellation and medical coverage. I have an annual policy we used when the wife busted her hip walking the dog a day before a cruise. Cancelled cruise cost recovered.

An accident out of your home country requiring medical treatment can be devastatingly expensive. Bon Voyage!

What company do you use?

2 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

What company do you use?

I have an annual policy with Allianz. I've found that if you bought the cruise line cancellation, it's good but only covers you for that trip and may not cover medical emergencies in foreign countries. If you book two or more cruises a year the Allianz annual cost is about the same as the cruise lines cost for two individual cruise booking policies. 

Also some of the more high end credit cards offer travel benefits as far as cancellation/medical. There is a sub category on Cruise Critic that discusses travel insurance.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Bon Voyage.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

I have an annual policy with Allianz. I've found that if you bought the cruise line cancellation, it's good but only covers you for that trip and may not cover medical emergencies in foreign countries. If you book two or more cruises a year the Allianz annual cost is about the same as the cruise lines cost for two individual cruise booking policies. 

Also some of the more high end credit cards offer travel benefits as far as cancellation/medical. There is a sub category on Cruise Critic that discusses travel insurance.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Bon Voyage.

Thank you.😊

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Not an instance in which insurance will help.

They were literally mowed down by a Hilo Hattie's shuttle bus.  Hilo Hattie's and/ or the operator of the shuttle bus (if it's outsourced to an independent contractor) almost questionably be responsible for all medical bills and costs incurred from the incident.  There will be additional settlements and/ or judgements as well.

• Like 2

We noticed that the Miracle was next to us as we cruise to Kauai. It was supposed to dock around pier 2, while we docked at pier 3.  We were later told that after approaching Kauai the Miracle left and did not make port, but no one on shore seemed to know why.

We should all realize how lucky we are.  When people complain about a missed port or late return home, one person is not coming home at all from this incident and others are badly hurt.  Every day is a blessing, especially when we frequently are enjoying ourselves doing something we love.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TRLD said:

We noticed that the Miracle was next to us as we cruise to Kauai. It was supposed to dock around pier 2, while we docked at pier 3.  We were later told that after approaching Kauai the Miracle left and did not make port, but no one on shore seemed to know why.

There was heavy rains that caused a lot of debris in the port, the pilot boarded the ship, we bounced off a shoal during approach and it was deemed unsafe to navigate into the harbor after waiting a bit trying to see if it would clear. Totally unrelated to the accident the day before. https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/other/drenching-rains-batter-kauai-prompting-rescues-and-road-closures/ar-BB1lwkWq

13 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Not an instance in which insurance will help.

It may help a little in that immediate out of pocket costs might be quickly covered and victims might not need to instantly come out of pocket. But in the long term you are 100% correct. Attorneys and courts will be resolving the damages down the line. They'll be significant.

Of course none of this really matters in the grand scheme and nothing brings the deceased person back. Prayers for the families. I even feel sad for the remaining passengers to whom these folks were complete strangers as I know I would feel guilty for simply trying to enjoy the rest of my cruise. Good reminder that kindness and graceful living are the only way as today might be our last.

• Like 5