Park 19 on the Sun Princess

1 hour ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

Who knows, it could be true, it just doesn't feel true to me. But then I live in a country that is lied to by the press every damn day about the EU so 🤷

All the press pushes their agenda, no matter where. 

On 5/14/2024 at 3:17 PM, 555 said:

Yep, and they'll make them sing "America the Beautiful" as you eat dinner. 

Please do. I find it hard to believe they're charging for soft serve. 

Could there possible be regular sort serve and gelato sort serve at a different location?

Yes there is free regular soft serve on deck 9 I think. And then there is pay soft serve gelato on the lido. Unless you have plus or premium package.

• Like 1

I would be furious if  I booked a ship that had this new kids area for my kids or grandkids only to find out that even a couple of months after it's inaugural sailing, the kids area is still not open. Seems like false advertising to me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I would be furious if  I booked a ship that had this new kids area for my kids or grandkids only to find out that even a couple of months after it's inaugural sailing, the kids area is still not open. Seems like false advertising to me.

Agree 100%.

If it's still closed when we sail over Thanksgiving I will not be happy, but I'm hopeful that's far enough out that it will be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary Kelly said:

We are still hopeful it will be open for our June 1st cruise. 

It doesn't look promising and that's shameful.

They should be giving cabin credit if it's not ready. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cafabi said:

Sailing June 1st. Chose this ship for Park 19 and paid for this amenity. 

The exact same for us. See you on board! Sailing with kids and grandsons. 

Christine and Mark 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cruiser66666 said:

I am going on Sun Princess on June 7 and I am really hoping to try out the ropes course it's the only reason why I chose Sun Princess

CFAR Insurance?

I'll be gutted if I can't get on the roller ride this August. 

It will be the only way I'll get a birds eye view of the Sanctuary and see how lucky the suite guests are!

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, 555 said:

It doesn't look promising and that's shameful.

They should be giving cabin credit if it's not ready. 

yeah but do you know what cabin credit means to my 4 yr old who can SEE the slides and splash pad but can't play on them? 

the whole thing is infuriating. even week 1 or 2 i could understand but its sailed for 2 months and nothing still. i'll be at guest services in onboard in about 15 days if its not open with her they can explain it to the kid.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, pirategirltlr said:

yeah but do you know what cabin credit means to my 4 yr old who can SEE the slides and splash pad but can't play on them? 

the whole thing is infuriating. even week 1 or 2 i could understand but its sailed for 2 months and nothing still. i'll be at guest services in onboard in about 15 days if its not open with her they can explain it to the kid.

Clearly Princess has put their bottom line above customer satisfaction. 

It's even more frustrating that they won't make any public statements about what's going on or a timeline. 

I've been very unimpressed with them so far as we prepare for our first Princess cruise. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pirategirltlr said:

And still the ship is practically sold out. 😒

It teaches me that to NEVER book a ship in it's first few months until they work out all the bugs no matter how great a deal. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 555 said:

It teaches me that to NEVER book a ship in it's first few months until they work out all the bugs no matter how great a deal. 

We learned that the hard way in 2013 when we booked a Royal Princess cruise for about 7 months after launch.  We splurged big time and got an owners suite with the largest balcony on the ship. We were sailing with a group of 10 (extended family) and planned to use our balcony for entertaining a lot.  We couldn't use it at all due to the now infamous problem of soot covering the aft balconies.  There were even permanent soot foot prints on the carpeting in the suite (it looked like a crime scene by the balcony doors).  We did get a sizeable refund after appealing directly to corporate customer service at the recommendation of guest services on board but I've never even been tempted to reserve an aft suite again on the Royal Princess or any in that class.

We have a booking for the Sun Princess in early January because I though a year would be plenty of time to work out bugs.  Now I'm not so sure given all the changes from Signature Collection suites (we have an S9 reserved) to the Sanctuary Collection and that Park 19 is not yet available (not to mention 'smaller' things like the Love by Britto).

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

We learned that the hard way in 2013 when we booked a Royal Princess cruise for about 7 months after launch.  We splurged big time and got an owners suite with the largest balcony on the ship. We were sailing with a group of 10 (extended family) and planned to use our balcony for entertaining a lot.  We couldn't use it at all due to the now infamous problem of soot covering the aft balconies.  There were even permanent soot foot prints on the carpeting in the suite (it looked like a crime scene by the balcony doors).  We did get a sizeable refund after appealing directly to corporate customer service at the recommendation of guest services on board but I've never even been tempted to reserve an aft suite again on the Royal Princess or any in that class.

We have a booking for the Sun Princess in early January because I though a year would be plenty of time to work out bugs.  Now I'm not so sure given all the changes from Signature Collection suites (we have an S9 reserved) to the Sanctuary Collection and that Park 19 is not yet available (not to mention 'smaller' things like the Love by Britto).

For some reason this ship is taking much longer to get ready. 

Possibly because of a different design?

1 minute ago, 555 said:

For some reason this ship is taking much longer to get ready. 

Possibly because of a different design?

That would be my guess since it is a radical departure in both layout and offerings from the Royal class which was a departure, but not nearly as radical, from its predecessor classes.  But you would think that would be accounted for in the timeline planning stage. 

It also seems like they did no focus groups or sent 'mystery' cruisers to check out how other lines do the 'ship within a ship' concept.  So now they are making radical changes to that.  Granted my ship within a ship experience is limited to 2 cruises in the Yacht Club on MSC ships but I could have told them that they already missed the mark just based on the plans and then the changes made last month to the experience. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

That would be my guess since it is a radical departure in both layout and offerings from the Royal class which was a departure, but not nearly as radical, from its predecessor classes.  But you would think that would be accounted for in the timeline planning stage. 

It also seems like they did no focus groups or sent 'mystery' cruisers to check out how other lines do the 'ship within a ship' concept.  So now they are making radical changes to that.  Granted my ship within a ship experience is limited to 2 cruises in the Yacht Club on MSC ships but I could have told them that they already missed the mark just based on the plans and then the changes made last month to the experience. 

I've sailed in YC several times (and truly enjoy it), but I don't know the history of them.

How long has the ship-in-a-ship concept been a thing? Is that something that wasn't really on the radar when Princess started building the Sun and then tried to awkwardly adjust for in a half-brained sort of way while it was already set in motion?

1 minute ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I've sailed in YC several times (and truly enjoy it), but I don't know the history of them.

How long has the ship-in-a-ship concept been a thing? Is that something that wasn't really on the radar when Princess started building the Sun and then tried to awkwardly adjust for in a half-brained sort of way while it was already set in motion?

I knew MSC was first more than a decade ago but I looked up the details for it and the other lines. Thanks to https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2021/05/ship-within-a-ship/

• MSC Yacht Club - 2008
  • NCL Haven - 2011
  • Celebrity Retreat - 2018
  • RCI Suite Class - Oasis and Wonder class (doesn't look like the traditional ship in a ship setup)
  • Dream Cruises The Palace - no date given

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I knew MSC was first more than a decade ago but I looked up the details for it and the other lines. Thanks to https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2021/05/ship-within-a-ship/

• MSC Yacht Club - 2008
  • NCL Haven - 2011
  • Celebrity Retreat - 2018
  • RCI Suite Class - Oasis and Wonder class (doesn't look like the traditional ship in a ship setup)
  • Dream Cruises The Palace - no date given

Interesting - thanks for tracking that down! I didn't realize it had been around for so long.

Royal Caribbean is definitely not a ship-in-a-ship concept, but they at least have exclusive access areas (their suites are just not all self-contained).

I've never even heard of Dream Cruises...looking forward to learning more about that.

Sounds to me like some of you need to be karening to Princess for selling you a ship you do not have access to for your kids and grandkids. 

Pretty inexcusable to me since they are selling it as a family friendly feature, yet it's not available.

52 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Anyone have any information on WHY Park 19 is still unavailable?  

All reports are it's still awaiting safety inspections and certifications.  

• Thanks 1

We cruise frequently, but our upcoming sailing is a special once-in-a-lifetime celebration. They have changed two ports on us and canceled our most anticipated shore excursion without even notifying us. Counting on them redeeming themselves by having this advertised amenity open.