Anyone had a real muster expierence?

I've never had a true muster call, but I had the opposite happen a few months ago - passengers and crew were sent to our cabins and told to stay there for a couple of hours.  Here's that thread:

3 hours ago, Canuker said:

If anyone has experienced a genuine muster call (not a check-in or drill), how did pan out?

Yes .. on a merchant ship .. we sank🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I've never had a true muster call, but I had the opposite happen a few months ago - passengers and crew were sent to our cabins and told to stay there for a couple of hours.  

We have as well...twice. Both in the middle of the night, both for small fires. Both situations were very short lived...less than 20 minutes.

How did it go? Well, in one case, I looked out the door of our cabin, to see pax running down the hall, some with life jackets on, some carrying their life jacket, even though no order to report to muster stations had been given. So, while in the big picture, we followed the directions, at least some people did not.

Having worked in emergency services for almost 40 years, this didn't surprise us. People don't behave logically nor follow directions in emergencies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I've never had a true muster call, but I had the opposite happen a few months ago - passengers and crew were sent to our cabins and told to stay there for a couple of hours.  

43 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We have as well...twice. Both in the middle of the night, both for small fires. Both situations were very short lived...less than 20 minutes.

How did it go? Well, in one case, I looked out the door of our cabin, to see pax running down the hall, some with life jackets on, some carrying their life jacket, even though no order to report to muster stations had been given. So, while in the big picture, we followed the directions, at least some people did not.

Having worked in emergency services for almost 40 years, this didn't surprise us. People don't behave logically nor follow directions in emergencies.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  I can't say that I've ever had a fire situation on a cruise that involved me as a passenger.  I've heard drills for fires and announcements that may have involved fires, but none of those involved any action from me.

Panic is the result of poor preparation and not paying attention. I've been on two flights during which the oxygen masks dropped. A few of us put them on immediately but most people just stared at them wondering what to do next. How many flight safety demonstrations had they been through? Every single one tells you what to do when the mask falls. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Canuker said:

If anyone has experienced a genuine muster call (not a check-in or drill), how did pan out?

Sort of.  4am in the morning we were awakened by the "7 short, 1 long" blast on the the ship's horn (in the middle of the Pacific).  Announcement in room said "get up, get dressed, and wait in your room for further instructions".  About 30 minutes later, announcement that there was a small "fire incident" in the engine room and "all is well now."

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 1

Nobody panicked on our incident. Many were annoyed as the incident started just before lunch so that was cancelled, and within two hours we had zero power and no galley so no hot food.

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

What type of answer are you looking for here? No two scenarios are going to be the same. People panic in a true emergency, some panic for no reason. 

Seems clear to me.  If you experienced a real muster call then share your experience.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

About 30 minutes later, announcement that there was a small "fire incident" in the engine room and "all is well now."

Must have been fun trying to go back to sleep. 

We did experience an on board ship emergency but did not have a Muster Call.

But we were informed of the emergency and updates. This was in the early 80's on the QE2.