Repricing 3 Times Already

gcornell

At a time where it seems like everything is getting more expensive and companies are figuring out new and creative ways to get more money from our pockets for the same or less product/service I curious it’s common that my July 25 Japan cruise has dropped 3 times?  I booked 2 Aqua Prime cabins in December 2023 and have now repriced them 3 times for a total savings of over $3,000. 

• Like 5

I had a CS booked for Sept 2024 Alaska 7 night sailing. In my eyes the price was to high. I ask our TA to see what she could do. One conference call with X. We got no where. I got a call the next day from our TA. I dont know who she talked too. In the end we now have our 1st RS booked and saved $3000.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I got a call the next day from our TA. I dont know who she talked too. In the end we now have our 1st RS booked and saved $3000.

First of all if you booked through a TA they are the only ones who can "touch" your booking.  Celebrity reps directly cannot make any changes on your behalf to a TA booking, even if there is a price decrease, which is likely why you got nowhere with your call to them.

That being said, your TA was likely able to reprice it through a lower group pricing, which is not published by the cruise lines to the general public but would be visible to a TA (one of the benefits of using a TA), or there was a price decrease in the 24 hours since you originally called, or a combination of both.  And they either went on line with the Celebrity TA booking site, or talked to a rep on the phone to confirm the new price.  But the ultimate price was available and the TA did not negotiate a price that otherwise did not exist.

Either way, congrats on the reduced price - that's very nice!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

22 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I had a CS booked for Sept 2024 Alaska 7 night sailing. In my eyes the price was to high. I ask our TA to see what she could do. One conference call with X. We got no where. I got a call the next day from our TA. I dont know who she talked too. In the end we now have our 1st RS booked and saved $3000.

Suite prices across the board for Sept '24 Alaska have fallen considerably since December. As of today for 9/1/24 Solstice a Sky Suite is priced the same as a Celebrity Suite. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, agape01 said:

Could this possibly mean prices are generally going back to 2018/2019 levels?

Perhaps wishful thinking, but I highly doubt it as cruising demand overall is very strong. And even if it were softening somewhat the cruise lines are still recovering the billions of dollars they lost during the shutdown.  It more likely is an instance where supply and demand is driving some sort of change within their pricing algorithms on that given itinerary. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had been looking at Jan 2025 7 day Caribbean cruises for the last few months. Most were at $4800/pax for a Sky Suite so I didn't purchase. 

I waited a month, looked again and it was $3500 and I bought.  2 weeks later it was $3100 and had it repriced. 

It pays to look as for whatever reason, prices are dropping. 

A while ago I booked an Iceland to Boston cruise. It was pretty pricy at over $6K for a mid range veranda but it was a trip we really wanted to do .  3 months ago the volcanic activity in Iceland started up again and the price of the cruise started dropping.  AQ is now $2K less than what I had booked my V2.  The V2 is now about $3.5K less than what I booked orginally.  I did take avantage of the drops and have re-priced twice for the V2. AQ was tempting but I opted to spend some extra days in Iceland pre-cruise.  Final payment is coming up in a few weeks so I will be watching closely...My TA has been great about the re-pricing. The only downside is as his commission goes down my OBC from his company goes down. 

What goes around comes around. 

Is Celebrity seeing lower demand? Will prices decrease and passenger return? Will some Celebrity fans who tried other cruise line - and enjoyed them - return to Celebrity? Will Celebrity resume offering OBC with booking similar to a year ago now that Spa and speciality dining bookings are down? 

Time will tell...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gcornell said:

At a time where it seems like everything is getting more expensive and companies are figuring out new and creative ways to get more money from our pockets for the same or less product/service I curious it’s common that my July 25 Japan cruise has dropped 3 times?  I booked 2 Aqua Prime cabins in December 2023 and have now repriced them 3 times for a total savings of over $3,000. 

July isn’t the best time to visit Japan. Can be quite hot and humid.

3 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

July isn’t the best time to visit Japan. Can be quite hot and humid.

lol. Okay.  That took a turn.  Same as when we travel every summer. We manage just like the millions do every single day. Anyway I travel with my family so the kids school schedule is not flexible. 

Posted (edited)

Well, I have tried to reprice three times, yet Celebrity always has a unique reason.  this never used to be the case, but so far it is not working.  The first time was the day after I booked my cruise onboard, so when it dropped a few hundred the next day, I stood in line for a reprice.  Since my representative was off that day, I was told she was the only one who could do it.  Yep, even making a small fuss did not help.  The next time it dropped, I could not get the price because I had 100 discount for a b2b.  Really?  Since when is that an issue.  The most recent time, yesterday, I would lose my OBC and my discount for a b2b.  This has become rediculous for me, so feel very good about your price drops.  Celebrity still owes me 200, but has only excuses to share about the reason.  My TA cannot believe the individuals she has to speak with on the phone, as they know so little about their jobs.  

One of the reasons that I booked another cruise line was the way I have been treated by Celebrity on land.  When my DH had. a bad skiing accident, Celebrity did not want to refund my money because it was paid before the 90 days. My TA requires that.   The excuses were phenomenal, not to mention different no matter who answered the phone for my TA and myself.  IMHO, customer service needs to improve greatly.  Yes, I had to get involved and create some waves...no pun intended!  I was booking suites.

I have shared names with Celebrity, not to mention details of conversations.  Of course I have received the  “I’m so sorry,” but that’s about it.  So good for those of you who feel that Celebrity listens to you!  I canceled one of my suites citing the fact that I could and it was refundable.  My rationale was that Celebrity did not want my business, nor cared about keeping me as a customer.  I cited the name of one employee that basically asked if he could cancel that cruise for me because I was unhappy.  Really, an employee of Celebrity offering to cancel?  I do have 2 cruises booked, but not until fall of 2025.  My experiences onboard have always been top notch.  

Edited by Lastdance

2 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Well, I have tried to reprice three times, yet Celebrity always has a unique reason.  this never used to be the case, but so far it is not working.  The first time was the day after I booked my cruise onboard, so when it dropped a few hundred the next day, I stood in line for a reprice.  Since my representative was off that day, I was told she was the only one who could do it.  Yep, even making a small fuss did not help.  The next time it dropped, I could not get the price because I had 100 discount for a b2b.  Really?  Since when is that an issue.  The most recent time, yesterday, I would lose my OBC and my discount for a b2b.  This has become rediculous for me, so feel very good about your price drops.  Celebrity still owes me 200, but has only excuses to share about the reason.  My TA cannot believe the individuals she has to speak with on the phone, as they know so little about their jobs.  

One of the reasons that I booked another cruise line was the way I have been treated by Celebrity on land.  When my DH had. a bad skiing accident, Celebrity did not want to refund my money because it was paid before the 90 days. My TA requires that.   The excuses were phenomenal, not to mention different no matter who answered the phone for my TA and myself.  IMHO, customer service needs to improve greatly.  Yes, I had to get involved and create some waves...no pun intended!  I was booking suites.

Sorry to hear that. Frustrating.  I booked through an outside TA.  I’ve emailed him 3 times and got a repricing within an hour or so.  I think he does it online without any calls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lastdance  It seems each time you were given BS information which should have been challenged.  I've never meet a shipboard employee that had a "day off", maybe part of a day.  In any event everyone has a boss.

B2B discount never keeps one from repricing and you never lose a B2B discount when repricing.  It may drop off and have to be re-applied but not lost.

A good TA should handle all these issues without causing you stress.  Of course not the onboard one but that should have never been an issue.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

@Lastdance  It seems each time you were given BS information which should have been challenged.  I've never meet a shipboard employee that had a "day off", maybe part of a day.  In any event everyone has a boss.

B2B discount never keeps one from repricing and you never lose a B2B discount when repricing.  It may drop off and have to be re-applied but not lost.

A good TA should handle all these issues without causing you stress.  Of course not the onboard one but that should have never been an issue.

Yes, I have had things “drop-off” in the past, so well aware of that.  This was a first for the b2b discount too.  I don’t understand why that is a factor, as I still have two cruises.  My onboard booking experience was pathetic this time and I did share the name of that individual.  The discount was only a few hundred dollars, but my experience was very frustrating nonetheless.  I have been cruising with Celebrity for a long time, but this BS, as you so eloquently say  just got too much for me.  At least I have choices with cruising, not to mention to cruise or not to cruise, but also believe that Celebrity needs to retrain or eliminate employees that behave erratically.  

Edited by Lastdance

If prices are dropping, it doesn't happen on my cruises.   I booked my solo balcony cabin a year ago for a cruise in January.   I got an 11day and b2b 12 day for approx $2500 each cruise (same room).   I checked the prices today and an interior for one person is nearly $5000 for only 11 days.   I don't think I would have paid $5000 for an interior room on that cruise (certainly not after seeing the air prices!).  I ended up getting an award ticket for the airline ticket going and I'll buy the ticket for the return.

I think that $4000-5000 for one person on a 12 day in a well located balcony could be reasonable (assuming it's not a repositioning/transatlantic/transpacific).   But not an interior!

30 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

If prices are dropping, it doesn't happen on my cruises.   I booked my solo balcony cabin a year ago for a cruise in January.   I got an 11day and b2b 12 day for approx $2500 each cruise (same room).   I checked the prices today and an interior for one person is nearly $5000 for only 11 days.   I don't think I would have paid $5000 for an interior room on that cruise (certainly not after seeing the air prices!).  I ended up getting an award ticket for the airline ticket going and I'll buy the ticket for the return.

I think that $4000-5000 for one person on a 12 day in a well located balcony could be reasonable (assuming it's not a repositioning/transatlantic/transpacific).   But not an interior!

single rooms are never going to be a "good deal". Probably have to look at other lines like Crystal for still expensive but better value rooms. 

5 hours ago, gcornell said:

There really is no rhyme or reason to the pricing, not just Celebrity either, but that is who I sail with.  I looked at a 6 night March 2025 Eclipse cruise FLL to Labadee (not happening) Bimini and a few sea days, RS 2 pax, $11k.  I also priced it as a solo because my husband may not be able to take this one, solo price $15k!  For reference we are already booked on the March 22 TA following this cruise, which is why I was considering it, and the cost for both of us on the TA in RS is $13.2K.  Needless to say, we will not be going on the earlier cruise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gcornell said:

lol. Okay.  That took a turn.  Same as when we travel every summer. We manage just like the millions do every single day. Anyway I travel with my family so the kids school schedule is not flexible. 

My point was that summer cruises in Japan may be harder to sell, hence the constant reductions in price

Posted (edited)

We booked Alaska for the end of May this year last October.  It was a good price for a Sky suite with $600 OBC.

In February, I looked at pricing again and our cabin Price Fell significantly.  I called my TA to reprice, we had to give back the OBC and rebook our excursions paying for them. 

Even with the out-of-pocket expenses for our excursions, we still saved almost $3000 off our original payment and we received $250 in OBC. 

I don't think pricing will decrease any time soon, I think we will still pay a lot, and get less for it. (Shrink-flation)  So if you are an early booker, just keep checking prices and hopefully, you will get a better rate.

Edited by screwsmcernst
  • Like 2

There are so many factors for the pricing of cruises, couple that with the ship, itinerary, cabin/suite etc.  There is no real way to compare unless apples to apples.  If you feel like you are getting a great deal, most likely you are, not to mention sometimes it is just not good to keep looking at pricing.  My itineraries are on newer ships going to or from Europe, so pricing is higher.  Then there is the air factor, coupled with cabin class.  Just a lot to consider nowadays.  However, if it is what you want and can easily afford, just go for it!  Life is way too short as it is..., but do not forget insurance!  I am just in a holding pattern for now...also, the stock is high, so don’t purchase now, but a good way for extra OBC.  I actually sold my stock and it almost paid for a suite.  It was a result from my post above, but not a knee-jerk reaction.  

~Safe travels wherever you go...