How fancy in Europe?

Carol28

Posted (edited)

I just got off the Explorer of the Seas from a Caribbean cruise.  I dressed up but very few women were dressy. Many wore nice pants and tops.  Some were very UNdressy.  I'm wondering if guests on European cruises are dressier than Caribbean? I'm thinking of only wearing nice pants and tops instead of glitzy dresses.  It's a matter of having to fly with smaller suitcases also and packing less.

We are sailing on the Silhouette in June around Great Britain.  Andd, eventually, I'll have the same questions about the Edge in Australia/New Zealand.

What say you?  I do know what the cruise line indicates, but that has nothing to do with reality!

Edited by Carol28
more info

I find that European cruises tend to be dressier due to so many Europeans being onboard. That said, nice pants and dressy tops are perfectly acceptable on all Celebrity cruises. Australia was very casual.

We have two cruises coming up in 2025.  The first is a TA from Florida to Barcelona.  I plan on bringing pants, dressy tops, and a couple of nice dresses (not gowns).  I like to dress up.

For the return trip two months later we will be on the QM2 where I understand they DO still dress up.  So I am having Luggage forward pick up another bag from the house sitter a couple of weeks ahead of that sailing and that bag will have something even dressier (haven't found the perfect dress yet, but I figure something long and with some twinkle to it).  My husband plans to have a sports jacket for Celebrity and will wear a dark suit for the QM2 sailing.

9 hours ago, Poconolady said:

I find that European cruises tend to be dressier due to so many Europeans being onboard. That said, nice pants and dressy tops are perfectly acceptable on all Celebrity cruises. Australia was very casual.

Agree, however our last cruise at the end of 2023 was out of Sydney and it was one of the dressiest cruises we have been on! 

Many from the UK!

I say wear what you are comfortable in & sparkly jewellery is always good to have 😉

Posted (edited)

On our last cruise from England to Spain and Portugal, even the teenagers wore tuxedos. There were tons of kids since it was summer. My teen American son felt under dressed compared to his new British friends. He wore dark colored slacks and a button down shirt. 

I wore dresses and husband a suit. 

Edited by Florida_cruisers

Have been on many Royal Caribbean and Celebrity in Europe.  Find no dressier than Caribbean.  Will always have those who prefer to dress formally on chic night.  

I realize you're asking about evening wear, but be prepared during the daytime to see lots of thongs at the pool, even on the men. Unlike their North American counterparts, European men don't believe in wearing board shorts.

I’ve never seen a man in a thong on a cruise ship! However, European men often wear fitted bathing suits, like underpants? Speedos? In fact, in France, long swimming shorts used to be banned in public pools , as deemed unhygienic. I don’t know if this is still the case?

Another thing you may notice on port calls in European cities, is that many residents will be dressed for work, and will be very smartly dressed indeed. Obviously more relaxed at weekends, but cruise passengers dressed as if they are attending an archeological dig might feel as if they stand out a bit.

I think your main difference is the two lines.  We usually prefer Celebrity but because my travel agent got a good deal and we had always wanted to go we decided to go on a 18 day transpacific cruise on Royal Caribbean.  I just got back home and didn't wear HALF of the things I brought because to be honest people on Royal dress like slobs.  Shorts and flip flops in the main dining room.  I have always found that Celebrity cruises, particularly those out of Europe tends to have people who are better dressed.  In fact I have never seen Celebrity allow shorts in the dining room for dinner.  That said you don't have to even bring any dresses unless you want to.  I ditched the formal wear and heels long ago but still enjoy dressing up like I would if I was going out to a nice dinner at home.  You can even wear jeans but I usually dress them up as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ergates The Ant said:

I’ve never seen a man in a thong on a cruise ship! However, European men often wear fitted bathing suits, like underpants? Speedos? In fact, in France, long swimming shorts used to be banned in public pools , as deemed unhygienic. I don’t know if this is still the case?

Speedos, thongs, all the same to me, as little is left to the imagination and something that's difficult to unsee.

39 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Speedos, thongs, all the same to me, as little is left to the imagination and something that's difficult to unsee.

But historically common on the Continent. Not so much in the UK...

When we were stationed in Bavaria in the 90's, we'd see the same guy on Volksmarches, sometimes more than once a month. Probably in his early 60's, skin was permanently burned, no shirt, and a Speedo. Hiking the countryside...

Back to the OP's question: I will suggest there is no real answer to your question. Dress is different. Sometimes we would perceive it as dressier, but they might not. South of the Alps, a flowy sundress with either flats or heels can be as casual as shorts to us. The UK has centuries of tailoring and textiles and depending somewhat on age a sport coat and trousers is casual, not dressy. Jeans were historically (and I think still?) outrageously expensive in Europe, so wool and cotton trousers are still worn a lot instead of jeans for men (although jeans are certainly common!). And frequently in what would be considered outrageous or even gaudy colors in the US. You may perceive them as dressier, but they're actually their versions of jeans. Dress in France or Italy or Spain will be different from Germany, the Netherlands, or the Czech Republic. Etc.

Cruise ships are an artificial environment for dress. Don't sweat it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

European men often wear fitted bathing suits, like underpants? Speedos?

Known here as 'budgie smugglers', for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 5:17 AM, Carol28 said:

Andd, eventually, I'll have the same questions about the Edge in Australia/New Zealand.

I think you'll find that we're pretty casual down here.  A pair of black pants and a blouse is fine for evenings even on formal nights - if in doubt chuck a string of pearls round your neck and a pair of pearl drop earrings on and you'll be fine.  Some people really frock up for a formal night and they like to do that, so good luck to them.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Florida_cruisers said:

On our last cruise from England to Spain and Portugal, even the teenagers wore tuxedos. There were tons of kids since it was summer. My teen American son felt under dressed compared to his new British friends. 

That must have been a special event or group because I can tell you that most British teens wouldn’t even know what a tuxedo is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Oh no, you mean I will have to experience this on next year’s Australia/New Zealand cruise too? I thought it was only European cruises where I need to keep my gaze at eye level at all times 😁

Posted (edited)

Yes, cruises with more European and British on board do have a better dress code. 
People in Europe wear on a cruise what they would wear to a good restaurant at home. And that’s more dressy than in the US. I lived on both sides for over 40 years and certainly dress differently in Europe vs US myself.

Edited by Miaminice

One difference you may notice if that a lot more women will wear skirts and dresses, especially in warmer weather. I visited a big airshow in California in temperatures in the 90s F, and I think I was the only female in a dress despite the heat. Everyone else was wearing either knee length shorts, or even jeans. 
The current fashion in the UK is to wear dresses, often below knee length, with white trainers with those no show socks. Very practical in warmer weather, cool around the waist and comfortable for walking. And you can wear them into the evening with pretty sandals and a nice necklace. 
‘Capri’ trousers tend to be only popular with older ladies, and short shorts for the very much younger. You will see a lot of women in leggings in the UK, despite them only really looking good in smaller sizes. 

19 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:
23 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Oh no, you mean I will have to experience this on next year’s Australia/New Zealand cruise too?

If you're lucky.  😉

Wear loose fitting comfortable clothes.  Dress for the weather.   Don’t violate the clothing police 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🌅🇺🇸

IMG_0996.jpeg

mime-attachment.jpeg

• Haha 4