New class being possibly revealed “very soon”

22 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Something closer to Voyager class would be better

That seems to be the prevailing indication from Captain Q&As

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't it be nice if, for this next class, the rumors of smaller were actually true?     And that they would go back to  taking more of a dignified approach ?

Like ..  no roller coasters or waterslides hanging off the sides?   And no giant cartoon characters and balls and shapes and bumper cars and ropes courses all over the upper decks?  No gimmicky silliness like observation capsules that rise to the heavens.     Just more aesthetically pleasing ..  and maybe even (gasp!) more  'traditional/classic' cruise ship looking design .. unlike the shapes of the behemoths that have been coming out with all the cruise lines this past few years?  Maybe back to a more traditional bow design again, as opposed to that ugly Icon-style/Celebrity Edge/Norwegian Prima barge-like bow.  (Yes, I know, i know .. more efficient, but still .. ugly).

And a smaller more manageable size .. and not as heavily family oriented as these last classes have been?

Just wishful thinking on my part, but i'm hoping for a little of this! 

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

Big enough to still offer some wow factor (remember that old RC slogan) while small enough to visit a wider variety of ports would be the sweet spot

Voyager class may be "small" for RC's fleet, yet still larger than all but 3 Carnival ships.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just my two cents opinion, and probably not worth that much, but I think the majority of RCI cruisers won’t get excited about a new, smaller class ship (if/when it happens). 

As much as I love Oasis class, I'm really excited about the possibility of a smaller class of ship that has some of the newer amenities and venues and can go to more interesting ports. I'm tired of the standard eastern and western Caribbean itineraries.

• Like 3

Just my two cents opinion, and probably not worth that much, but I think the majority of RCI cruisers won’t get excited about a new, smaller class ship (if/when it happens). 

Those old, smaller ships are sailing full just like the newer bigger ships.  Lots of cruisers will be excited.

• Like 4

Possibly, but you still have the 7th Oasis class ship coming plus Star and the 3rd Icon class ship. Just my two cents opinion, and probably not worth that much, but I think the majority of RCI cruisers won’t get excited about a new, smaller class ship (if/when it happens). 

I’m currently board the Navigator. My favorite ship in the RCI fleet. This is cruise #13 on this ship with three more planned over the next few months before we board the Odyssey for the TA. No longer interested in the Oasis class and no interest at all in Icon. Some of us enjoy the smaller ships and RCI knows this. While we also like X, RCI has its advantages as well. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruising89143 said:

I’m currently board the Navigator. My favorite ship in the RCI fleet. This is cruise #13 on this ship with three more planned over the next few months before we board the Odyssey for the TA. No longer interested in the Oasis class and no interest at all in Icon. Some of us enjoy the smaller ships and RCI knows this. While we also like X, RCI has its advantages as well. 

I agree with you about Celebrity. On Apex right now, which is probably my favorite ship. I like Oasis class ships and enjoyed Icon, but Apex is the perfect size ship in my world. Also helps that you rarely see kids on most Celebrity cruises. No doubt there will be lots of people happy if RCI announces a new smaller class ship, but I still believe the majority of RCI cruisers, which by definition only has to be 51% (using whole numbers), will not care too much about a new smaller class ship. If/when they officially announce Project Discovery, I will be curious to see how many “features” they can fit on a smaller ship and what the price point will be with cruise fares. 

Just an FYI, l like all classes of RCI ships. Over the next few months I have cruises booked on Freedom, Independence twice, Radiance, Grandeur and Enchantment. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 2

Talks about a 3-4k class has been going around a lot. We heard the same. But, IMHO, the ships it’s most announced on are 2k ships with pretty specific height limits. Which this new class won’t likely meet. So I don’t really understand why it’s made such a big deal on the ships from Baltimore and Tampa. 

The new class of ships is going to be discovery. The smaller class of ships will retire and a new discovery class will be introduced.  Smaller newer ships it’s been out for a while.

1 hour ago, renza said:

The new class of ships is going to be discovery. The smaller class of ships will retire and a new discovery class will be introduced.  Smaller newer ships it’s been out for a while.

Unless you know something I don’t know, there has been no official announcement from RCI about the long rumored Project Discovery. A few months ago I thought RCI’s “big” announcement was going to be about Project Discovery, only to find out the news was RCI is building a 7th Oasis class ship.  

The only reason I see Royal building smaller ships is to not lose their footprints in ports that can't accommodate larger ships, but would expect them to design them to focus on amenities that are seen on the megaships.  However, they may be content having their sister brands represent those ports.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Unless you know something I don’t know, there has been no official announcement from RCI about the long rumored Project Discovery. A few months ago I thought RCI’s “big” announcement was going to be about Project Discovery, only to find out the news was RCI is building a 7th Oasis class ship.  

All correct statements. I also thought the "big" announcement would be Project Discovery since Michael Bayley has said they hope to announce it this year. It does seem like it's being mentioned more frequently at the Captain Q&A's (and maybe just because more people are asking), so I'm hoping that is a good sign.

But correct. No official announcements have been made up to this point.

Will be interesting to see rhe new class and ship designs.

Will it be adults only?

Will it be for families too but without the ampd equipment. 

Finally what itineraries will the ships sail. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Will it be adults only?

Absolutely zero chance that it would be adults only.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Will it be adults only?

Making a class of ships adult only would cause so many headaches on top of the amount of marketing required to explain.  Would be like Virgin Voyages having a kids friendly ship, and watching how many adults go on the ship confused as to why kids are on it.

Just a guess which is all we can do until/if RCG reveals more is that this new ship will be based off the Edge class design and will come in somewhere between the Voyager and Freedom in size. I just don’t see RCG building something smaller to match the Radiance/Vision class. NCL “tried” to build smaller with their Leonardo/Prima class and now they’re slowly being upsized 2x2.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:28 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Possibly, but you still have the 7th Oasis class ship coming plus Star and the 3rd Icon class ship. Just my two cents opinion, and probably not worth that much, but I think the majority of RCI cruisers won’t get excited about a new, smaller class ship (if/when it happens). 

As popular as they are, I don't see anybody getting too excited by yet another Oasis-class ship unless its going to have some new & revolutionary features that the other O-class do not have yet.  Same can be said about Icon #3

Once the details of Project Discovery are slowly leaked, there will be plenty of interest.  It seems people have been begging Royal to make a new & improved smaller ship for years.

13 hours ago, SUgwoz said:

Making a class of ships adult only would cause so many headaches on top of the amount of marketing required to explain.  Would be like Virgin Voyages having a kids friendly ship, and watching how many adults go on the ship confused as to why kids are on it.

P@O has two adult only ships in their fleet (Arcadia and Aurora).  They also have large family friendly ships like Iona.  So it is possible,  though I agree unlikely, for RC to have adult only ships

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 9:11 PM, RobInMN said:

So... everyone's been lying?

No, you've been making assumptions. The vast majority of reports are the class is "smaller." You assume that to mean what your subjective opinion classifies as "small" when in fact it simply means not as big as Oasis/Icon.

The ship could designed for anywhere from 500 to 5000 passengers, and it would still be "smaller."

Edited by Tolkmit

On 4/30/2024 at 8:28 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe there won’t be as much excitement because some  - like us - that love the smaller ships will have moved on to other lines and realized they didn’t know what they were missing. 

13 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with this comment 100 percent. Even Celebrity doesn’t have adults only ships. 

Plenty of cruise companies do have adult only ships, Virgin, P&O, Seaborne, Viking, Fred Olsen etc. They are very popular and go to some very good destinations. 

I wouldnt want an adult only ship as i have a young child. But gives more options to Royal lovers who complain about children on their cruises.