MERGED:Does anyone else have the NCL ad pop up from the right on every page?

Posted (edited)

I can access the X but to have it pop up on every single page...ridiculous!  I have never cruised with NCL but this cements my decision to never cruise with them no matter what!

I just tried the "In Private" window and that did nothing and the pop up was still there.

Edited by alibabacruisers
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

We need to keep this thread active to get it to stop for those who don't have VPN.   And ithe thread has gone from the Aussie pages now.   

Its extremely concerning that Cruise Critic has allowed NCL to spam users in this way. Every single click. 

This is not a user issue. It shouldn't be in this place that gets hidden. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 5

Well, we know now it's only targeting Australians. Try rotating the screen @Sparky74 if using an iPad. Or use a VPN to switch overseas.  I've now cancelled an NCL cruise. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I tried rotating the screen but it didn’t help. I don’t have a VPN and I don’t want to get one just to use CC. 

The moderators are obviously aware of the issue as they’ve now moved my thread off the Australian board even though it’s obviously an Australian problem. 😡

21 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I can’t access the X. It’s off the screen. 😖

Can you reduce the size of the screen? ie: zoom out.

Its a bloody annoying add, all it does is irritate me, not make me interested in seeing what there offering.

Maybe CC have been paid a bonza for the ad, but think most probably, so smart arse hijack of the site.

Hello everyone!

Please note the following from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Therefore, all threads about a possible problem with the software belong here on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. I am tagging @CC Help Michell so they will be aware of this thread. You can also contact help@cruisecritic.com from your Cruise Critic email address of record to find out if it is a Cruise Critic software glitch. Be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply will be sent to your Cruise Critic email address of record. If your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, please click the following: How To: Update your Cruise Critic Email Address

Happy sails to all,

Host Kat

2 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

Hello everyone!

Please note the following from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Therefore, all threads about a possible problem with the software belongs here on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. I am tagging @CC Help Michell so they will be aware of this thread. You can also contact help@cruisecritic.com from your Cruise Critic email address of record to find out if it is a Cruise Critic software glitch. Be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply will be sent to your Cruise Critic email address of record. If your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, please click the following: How To: Update your Cruise Critic Email Address

Happy sails to all,

Host Kat

Thanks, Kat. 

Unfortunately some of us feel that this issue is being hidden on this board. It is relevant to NCL and appears to be an Australian specific problem so I feel it belongs on those boards. I understand the desire to consolidate the discussion in one place but it’s giving the impression that CC just wants to push the complainants and frustrations off to the side. This may not be the intention but this is the impression it’s giving. 

Moderating a forum is a thankless task and I realise that you’re probably powerless to resolve this issue but could you PLEASE pass it up the food chain and let those who make these decisions know that the natives are restless. 

The constant barrage isn’t recalling doing NCL or CC any favours. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I watched it, it disappeared 

Define "watched". 
I tried clicking on "learn more" in the forlorn hope of making it disembark but the link didn’t work. 🤦‍♂️
Someone at NCL and someone at CC have dropped the ball on this one. 
Hopefully the ad gets pulled. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Can you reduce the size of the screen? ie: zoom out.

Its a bloody annoying add, all it does is irritate me, not make me interested in seeing what there offering.

Maybe CC have been paid a bonza for the ad, but think most probably, so smart arse hijack of the site.

If I reduce the screen size my arms won’t be long enough to see it. 🤓🔎

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Thanks, Kat. 

Unfortunately some of us feel that this issue is being hidden on this board. It is relevant to NCL and appears to be an Australian specific problem so I feel it belongs on those boards. I understand the desire to consolidate the discussion in one place but it’s giving the impression that CC just wants to push the complainants and frustrations off to the side. This may not be the intention but this is the impression it’s giving. 

Moderating a forum is a thankless task and I realise that you’re probably powerless to resolve this issue but could you PLEASE pass it up the food chain and let those who make these decisions know that the natives are restless. 

The constant barrage isn’t recalling doing NCL or CC any favours. 

Thank you for your kind words!

I am sorry you feel "this issue is being hidden on this board". However, this IS the correct place for the issue. Please note the following appearing on the first page of this forum:

Note:  This area is intended only for questions and answers relating to technical assistance in using these message boards.  Please do not post general cruise-related questions or Roll Calls here.

This IS a technical issue regarding the message boards. The correct party has been notified with the tag. 

Also, please remember discussion of the management of this Community is not allowed on any of the boards. Please note the following from the Guidelines:

"... Discussion of the management of this community is not allowed on the forums..."

"... However, we would be happy to address any concerns you have via email.   Please write to the Community Manager at:  community@cruisecritic.com..."

"... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS
Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com ..."

Again, please feel free send your email with your questions/comments/feedback to LauraS, Senior Manager, Community at community@cruisecritic.com. Again, please send the email from your Cruise Critic email address of record and be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. Please remember the Hosts are non-paid volunteers and work the boards when their real life permits. Most Administrators work regular weekday business hours.

Host Kat

Edited to add:

Note an oldie but goodie thread from 2023 on this forum regarding a previous pop up problem: What is with the annoying pop up?

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Define "watched". 
I tried clicking on "learn more" in the forlorn hope of making it disembark but the link didn’t work. 🤦‍♂️
Someone at NCL and someone at CC have dropped the ball on this one. 
Hopefully the ad gets pulled. 

Clicking the video.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Not sure if it's happening elsewhere but in Australia we are getting this annoying pop up every single time we click. Just happened in the last hour. Anyone else? Amd yes the thread is on the tech forum as well. 

IMG_1409.png

I am getting these pop-up ads also. It has started this morning. It is very annoying.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

…Again, please feel free send your email with your questions/comments/feedback to LauraS, Senior Manager, Community at community@cruisecritic.com. Again, please send the email from your Cruise Critic email address of record and be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. Please remember the Hosts are non-paid volunteers and work the boards when their real life permits. Most Administrators work regular weekday business hours.

Host Kat

Thanks, Kat. 

I have now emailed Laura. 
I realise that Cruise Critic is international and wonder what "regular weekday business hours" means. It’s currently about 9:20am on Friday here in NSW, Australia. 

3 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

... I realise that Cruise Critic is international and wonder what "regular weekday business hours" means...

I'm in Texas located in Central Daylight Time zone. It is Thursday, May 2, 2024, 6:37 PM here. The office is in New Jersey in the Eastern Daylight Time zone. As I type this it is Thursday, May 2, 2024, 7:37 PM there. To me, regular weekday business hours are Monday thru Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

• Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Has anyone else suddenly been receiving adverts on Cruise Critic? Only today, every time I click on a topic on the forum, an ad for NCL slides in from the side of the iPad. It is very annoying!
Any  ideas on how to stop this happening?

Thanks  and best wishes to all.

27 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

Good morning everyone. Has anyone else suddenly been receiving adverts on Cruise Critic? Only today, every time I click on a topic on the forum, an ad for NCL slides in from the side of the iPad. It is very annoying!
Any  ideas on how to stop this happening?

Thanks  and best wishes to all.

I'm getting nothing.  But, I have an adblocker.

• Like 2

I’m also having this problem. The add is blocking half my page and the x button and part of the video is hidden (outside the margins of my screen) so I cannot close it. Nothing I have done so far has helped. It is very frustrating.

• Like 2

I'm getting the pop-ups on my laptop. NCL has taken pop-ups to a whole new level. I've never had them coming to me on every single page before. At least I can see the X and can close it. It doesn't seem to happening on my phone where I am logged out atm.

• Like 2

No ads on my iPad, using Safari, no 3rd party ad blockers although the Safari settings shows the pop-up blocker is on (Settings - Safari - Block Pop-ups). You could try deleting cookies by going to Settings - Safari - Clear History and Website Data. If you’re using a different browser, the process is similar.