Cruising Solo

I’m about to go on my first solo cruise:  a 7 night Alaska trip.  My usual & favorite travel companion is unable to go due to health issues (we are both 76 yo so not surprising I guess) and nobody else I know is interested.   I’m going on Celebrity Edge & have splurged on a Retreat level Sky Suite so I’ll have access to the Retreat Lounge, Pool Deck & my own balcony so I’ll only have to deal with 300ish cruisers opposed to 3000

which makes me feel more comfortable.  I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with solo on a cruise ship they’d be willing to share.  I’ll have access to Luminae specialty restaurant for meals and I can use room service w/o paying the ridiculous fee for that with Retreat. I’m used to doing many things comfortably on my own and love to read and play games on my IPad which will help & I’ve booked several small group excursions.  Please share any tips or experiences with me.  

• Like 1

As an aside, we too, are going on an Alaskan cruise on the Edge.  It leaves the 24th out of Seattle.  

one idea is to find and join your roll call for the specific cruise you are on.  It’s a good way to “pre-meet” some people.  Often times there are meet ups once onboard.  

and by the way, welcome to the board! 😊

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Safari-Wom said:

I’m about to go on my first solo cruise:  a 7 night Alaska trip.  My usual & favorite travel companion is unable to go due to health issues (we are both 76 yo so not surprising I guess) and nobody else I know is interested.   I’m going on Celebrity Edge & have splurged on a Retreat level Sky Suite so I’ll have access to the Retreat Lounge, Pool Deck & my own balcony so I’ll only have to deal with 300ish cruisers opposed to 3000

which makes me feel more comfortable.  I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with solo on a cruise ship they’d be willing to share.  I’ll have access to Luminae specialty restaurant for meals and I can use room service w/o paying the ridiculous fee for that with Retreat. I’m used to doing many things comfortably on my own and love to read and play games on my IPad which will help & I’ve booked several small group excursions.  Please share any tips or experiences with me.  

I am traveling solo next week to Alaska on Celebrity.  I have always been comfortable doing my own thing so I simply travel the way that makes me happy.  I have a couple of friends I sometimes cruise with but we are such different people travel wise we don't share a state room.  We book solo rooms and do our own thing during the day and then meet for cocktails, dinner, and a show then bedtime.  We are very happy traveling this way and have been doing it for almost 20 years.  Just do what you want to and enjoy and you will have a great time.  There is no agenda and being solo means you can go at your own pace without the stress and worry about either holding others up in your group or them holding you back.  Enjoy the cruise.

• Like 7

I cruise several times a year and sail solo about half the time.  I enjoy my solo cruises as much as I do the cruises where a friend or relative joins me.  I am fine dining solo, but if it makes you uncomfortable, you can ask to be seated at a shared table.  I do carry a book or tablet with me as I like reading if I’m eating at the OceanView.  People on cruises are usually very friendly, so you can be as social as you like.  Best part of being solo is that you make your own schedule and only do events and excursions that appeal to you.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Cruise solo all the time - and not in the retreat. No issues. I do my thing and don't worry about if other people are talking about me. 99% of the time they're too wrapped up in their own vacation.

Read, relax, see shows multiple times if you want. Eat in the dining room and/or specialty restaurants. It's really no big deal.

I love sitting alone - no awkward conversation, and no possibility of having to wait and wait and wait for a table until you find someone who wants to share. Take a book if it's that awkward. I've never had issues with other cruisers (every once in a while they might ask if I'm solo and 9 times out of 10 they are inspired by it), and the servers are always awesome! Best part...you eat at your pace and not that of other people.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 10

I took my first solo cruise - a 7 night Alaska trip on Celebrity - in August 2022 and have done many more solo cruises on Celebrity since then. I find solo cruising to be a highly enjoyable way to see new places (and revisit some old favourites) for many of the same reasons listed above. There is lots of flexibility to do your own thing but there are also many activities and entertainment options at your disposal - production shows, musicians, trivia and other games, "Beyond the Podium" talks, presentations by the cruise director and ship crew, movies, etc. Lots of places to relax on Celebrity ships although I find the E-class ships to be a bit busier and noisier (not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation). I've enjoyed relaxing/reading in Eden, Cafe al Bacio, the shaded outdoor area near the Pool Bar, to name a few preferred places. Outside of meal times I've also seen people using the Oceanview Cafe buffet space for reading and playing cards and board games. I've only stayed in the Retreat once but I liked the Retreat Lounge and weather permitting there's a nice outdoor area there. The Retreat pool deck and bar area are also nice but seemed quite busy especially in the mornings and mid-day on my cruise. You should also enjoy the extra space and real balcony in a Sky Suite. There are often solo cruiser meet-and-greets organized by Celebrity - not really my thing but I know some people like those as a way to meet others onboard. Hope you have a great time!

• Like 3

I spent 28 days February/March on the Edge in Australia/NZ. Beautiful ship. I was in a solo cabin and took mostly ship tours. They did have daily solo meet ups if you’re interested in meeting other solo travelers. I only managed to attend one. Enjoy Alaska. 

• Like 2

I have been cruising solo for over 20 years....it is the only way I sail. Will be going on Eclipse in 2 weeks and looking forward to it🙂I agree with the other posters......you can do what you want, whenever you want, or don't want....no worries about what someone else wants to do.

I hope you enjoy Alaska. I have been there multiple times over the years. The scenery can be be magnificent. 😃

• Like 5

I sail solo all the time.  Celebrity usually has a solo meetup the first night around 5 or 5:30 if you are interested in meeting other solos.  Check the Daily which will be in your cabin when you board.  The other place you may meet solos is in the Retreat Lounge.  I'm just off the Reflection.  I met a woman in the Retreat Lounge and we had dinner together one night in Luminae and one night in Blu.

• Like 2

How do you Solos feel about the relatively new Celebrity policy that charges Solo cruisers not only for 2 people per cabin (which I understand), but also charges an extra large fee for the fact that you aren't now a revenue opp for 2 drink packages, 2 wifi packages, etc, etc.    I had a cruise specced out on the Celebrity site, and the single price was $825.  I assumed my price as a Solo would be $1650 (plus all the fees).   The minute I shared that I was a single, the price jumped to $2450.   An $800 penalty for traveling solo.   This sucks for solos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Damager said:

How do you Solos feel about the relatively new Celebrity policy that charges Solo cruisers not only for 2 people per cabin (which I understand), but also charges an extra large fee for the fact that you aren't now a revenue opp for 2 drink packages, 2 wifi packages, etc, etc.    I had a cruise specced out on the Celebrity site, and the single price was $825.  I assumed my price as a Solo would be $1650 (plus all the fees).   The minute I shared that I was a single, the price jumped to $2450.   An $800 penalty for traveling solo.   This sucks for solos.

I do E-Class with the solo stateroom. And no drink package.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’m on my first Celebrity cruise right now on the Edge. I came over with Elite status from RCI. I got a solo infinite veranda, which was cheaper than an interior. I do my own thing and bring my crochet along to keep me busy. I don’t eat in the main restaurants, mainly because I’m a snack portion eater throughout the day, rather than big meals. I always seem to find something I like in Oceanview Cafe, and I can eat and go. I have cruise solo since 2010, and for me, it’s the only way to go. I look at price per day and if it’s in my wheelhouse. I have earned a solo discount on RCI now, which is nice.

Have a great time.

Edited by crzndeb

1 hour ago, Damager said:

Would it be possible to have a friend book the second slot and then conveniently cancel the week before? 

According to multiple sources at Celebrity, this no longer works.   They will revert you to the higher solo price if you end up traveling solo.   The whole approach is ridiculous to me.

How do I feel about this new policy?  It sucks.  Money grubbing, pure and simple.  I will not book with those rates.  Now when I am checking out a cruise, I check both the fare for two people and the fare for a solo.  If the solo fare is more than 2X the other fare, I won't book that cruise.  Am looking at other cruiselines with more rational booking policies.

• Like 6

As far as I can tell Norwegian and MSC are the only mss market cruise lines that don't automatically charge 2X or more for solo cruisers, barring some sort of special promotions.

I am stunned at what solo passengers are charged.   I had thought maybe a few hundred extra like some all inclusive resorts do, but not double +.    One of our DD wanted to go on a cruise with us but wanted her own cabin.  Dont think she ll take up cruising

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 6:41 PM, Safari-Wom said:

Just watch the pricing.  They sometimes nail it to you with unreasonable surcharges.

Some lines actually have solo cabins but I have seen reports of some cruise lines charging as much as double occupancy or more for those as well.

Research research research.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

How do I feel about this new policy?  It sucks.  Money grubbing, pure and simple.  I will not book with those rates.  Now when I am checking out a cruise, I check both the fare for two people and the fare for a solo.  If the solo fare is more than 2X the other fare, I won't book that cruise.  Am looking at other cruiselines with more rational booking policies.

Sadly I think my cruise on the Ascent may be my last on Celebrity. I priced out Bermuda and it was ridiculous how much they wanted. Now taking NCL Joy for 1/3 the price with better perks. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I’m on my first Celebrity cruise right now on the Edge. I came over with Elite status from RCI. I got a solo infinite veranda, which was cheaper than an interior. I do my own thing and bring my crochet along to keep me busy. I don’t eat in the main restaurants, mainly because I’m a snack portion eater throughout the day, rather than big meals. I always seem to find something I like in Oceanview Cafe, and I can eat and go. I have cruise solo since 2010, and for me, it’s the only way to go. I look at price per day and if it’s in my wheelhouse. I have earned a solo discount on RCI now, which is nice.

Have a great time.

That's what I found recently at itineraries I've looked at, as long as its a solo room. Once I start looking at non solo rooms the prices sky rocket for me, which rules out going on M or S class ships.

Edited by Lena11033

I am no longer planning to cruise on Celebrity.  Have a cruise booked on HAL and Oceania. Oceania doubled my OBC for excursions since I was paying for two people being a solo. No penalty there. I just think it’s so outrageous what Celebrity is doing to solo cruisers.  I have loved the line for years but I guess a divorce is in order. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ncgolferette said:

I am no longer planning to cruise on Celebrity.  Have a cruise booked on HAL and Oceania. Oceania doubled my OBC for excursions since I was paying for two people being a solo. No penalty there. I just think it’s so outrageous what Celebrity is doing to solo cruisers.  I have loved the line for years but I guess a divorce is in order. 

Feel the same way… our 3 Celebrity sailings were booked before the money grabbers started working their magic on solo prices.  Have now booked 4 others on HAL and RC… so much for sailing Celebrity to get great status… very sad.

• Like 1