Living on the Edge..

TinyG

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

Indoors due to rain...or it's just cold?

I'm assuming that I will still be spending time on deck if it's not raining when we embark at the end of the month.  But it's my first cold weather cruise so I'm really not sure what to expect.

On a previous Alaskan cruise in early August it was chilly and rainy sometimes and warm other times.  The views on deck were worth going out for.  We have an IV which I think (despite not being popular) might work out well in Alaska.  I did, and will again, pack more than normal so I have weather options.  

17 hours ago, TinyG said:

Our first night was the cosmopolitan restaurant seated at seat 380.  I could not really understand the sommelier. I wanted a Merlot or Pinot noir. Not really sure what we got.  Corn soup for me. Onion soup for the Mr man. The internet is not behaving and the 
wifi is not that good hanging on the coast and back on my own internet, so if you don’t see me. I will be back. Off the coast of Victoria dropping off the pilot. Pictures will not load for now. Silent disco tonight!

How is the temp in the MDR?  Do you need covered arms? 

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 11:21 AM, TinyG said:

You are allowed to bring bottled water with you. Got in line at 9:45 made it thru security 10;15. On the ship at 10:35, but our room was not ready and no keys.

Most of the hallways busy with laundry, ice, and things to be removed. 

Only chairs on the balcony. No loungers. We did not stay in the room till

it has been cleaned, left our items in the closet. 

You are able to get refreshments from the bars by showing your check-in tab on your phone. 

IMG_8817.jpeg

Wow…You were quick and early getting on the ship at 10:35am! We only left our AquaClass stateroom on the Edge with all our luggage just before 8am. I’m impressed that new passengers could get on less than 3 hours later as the cabin attendant will need 3-4 hours to clean and have the rooms ready on turn around day.  We waited 5 mins for the elevator to take us from our room on deck 9 to deck 5 for disembarkation. There was no line leaving the ship on deck 5 or the custom line leaving the cruise terminal. We were at the sky train less than 15 mins after leaving the ship. It was so fast!

We had an amazing cruise on the Edge crossing from Hawaii to Vancouver. The ship is still new and beautiful. We ate all our meals in Blu and Oceanview Cafe! Have a wonderful cruise!!!

Edited by Winter2010
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Indoors due to rain...or it's just cold?

I'm assuming that I will still be spending time on deck if it's not raining when we embark at the end of the month.  But it's my first cold weather cruise so I'm really not sure what to expect.

Decks are wet, no rain just misty. Cloudy, foggy. We’re going 21 kts so definitely windy.

Im sure if the sun was out people would be outside.

We’ve been to Alaska several times, I think this week will be the coldest we’ve experienced.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will also be following.  We spent 40 nights on the Edge last fall boarding in Civitavecchia, transiting the Suez Canal and leaving the ship in Sydney.  The ship has some interesting features, and I will be interested in opinions as to how suitable this ship is for Alaska.  While the naturalists present their Beyond the Podium lectures in the theater, on M- and S-class ships they often are set up in the Sky Lounge with spotting scopes and so forth interacting with passengers.  I wonder where they will be on the Edge.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I will also be following.  We spent 40 nights on the Edge last fall boarding in Civitavecchia, transiting the Suez Canal and leaving the ship in Sydney.  The ship has some interesting features, and I will be interested in opinions as to how suitable this ship is for Alaska.  While the naturalists present their Beyond the Podium lectures in the theater, on M- and S-class ships they often are set up in the Sky Lounge with spotting scopes and so forth interacting with passengers.  I wonder where they will be on the Edge.

Hi! We cruised a few times in the past on Eclipse together.

Celia Garland is the naturalist for this cruise, I imagine she will be onboard all season. Her presentations have been in the Theatre.

I know Milos sets up in the sky lounge, doesn’t seem like Edge has a spot for that. 

3 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Hi! We cruised a few times in the past on Eclipse together.

Celia Garland is the naturalist for this cruise, I imagine she will be onboard all season. Her presentations have been in the Theatre.

I know Milos sets up in the sky lounge, doesn’t seem like Edge has a spot for that. 

Dana -- Indeed -- I remember you.

The first time we encountered Celia was on the Eclipse while on a B2B2B in South America in 2019.    I thought she was great, and she told us that both Milos and Brent Nixon had encouraged her to apply for the naturalist position.

Milos seemed to live in the Sky Lounge.  And Brent is often there too, or roving through the Ocean View during non peak dining times.  Since there isn't an equivalent spot on the Edge I am really curious as to how the naturalists will handle this.  Somehow that aft view from Eden just doesn't have the sense of discovery as the ship approaches whales or a glacier.

In any event I will be curious to follow passenger opinions as to how suitable this ship is for Alaska.

Gerry

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 2:57 PM, TinyG said:

No cards/envelope , all the bedding on the floor and left over sharp’s container on the counter. 
 Little disappointing to have a dirty room on arrival. Why let us on at the time to be dissatisfied. If the Elites can come sooner, only to leave your room. I am glad to be on the ship and not in a line. I know turn around day all the crew members dread. We left be and went on our way. 

Would you have rather be waiting in the terminal?   I would gladly be able to get on board and be able to drop off my carry on in the cabin and then explore and enjoy the ship and my drink package. 

Celebrity also gives boarding times but many don’t honor it.  They show up and board when they want.  Just be happy that they let you on board ASAP.  

Maybe I didn’t understand what  your post was about but I don’t see any reason to be disappointed.   In the past you couldn’t get to your cabin to drop off your carry on.  It is now a big improvement.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We spent 40 nights on the Edge last fall boarding in Civitavecchia, transiting the Suez Canal and leaving the ship in Sydney.

Yikes!  If I spent 40 nights on a cruise ship I’d have to borrow a potato sack from the kitchen to wear on debarkation day because none of my clothes would fit 😳. Sounds like quite the adventure, though!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yikes!  If I spent 40 nights on a cruise ship I’d have to borrow a potato sack from the kitchen to wear on debarkation day because none of my clothes would fit 😳. Sounds like quite the adventure, though!

Hey Peaches : The longest length we have done on a single ship was 52 nights.  It was a series of cruises, and if I remember correctly, was a B2B2B2B.  And I will have to admit that it was a rather long time -- I quilt, we have hobbies (not just sitting on a cruise ship) and volunteer activities.  Sometimes you just need to return to real life.

But then again -- no one has to vacuum the stateroom, we have Zenith unlimited laundry, we don't do the dishes, and so forth.  And the novelty unlimited food was lost for us around 2009.  Neither the hubby nor I rarely gain any weight on a cruise.  

G.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

How is the temp in the MDR?  Do you need covered arms? 

No it’s roasting. Everyplace so far is warm and not that cold outside. Looking forward to some cool air!

• Thanks 1

Hello, sorry for the delay. As I will probably upgrade my internet as I can’t seem to be able to do much. 

Tonight is chic night! Just back at Eden we are just watching the wake, now we have the same view, but this is warmer and it’s Elite happy hour. Okay both works for us. 

All ready and decked out and we ate back at the Cosmopolitan restaurant again and they sat us at the same table. Dinner was onion soup, chicken breast and no dessert.  The seas were very rough. 

Captain Matt told us that since we had left late from Vancouver that this also would make for a late arrival in Juneau. We have booked our own Salmon bake but it’s not till 5PM. 

After dinner we headed to Cafe El Bacio for a tea for our dessert. 

We watched on tv the nature talk about whales. Very interesting. We were rocked to sleep. 

Monday 13th

Had the Captains club breakfast in Normandie. 

The weather is crisp and am happy it’s not raining.  Sitting back at Eden. 

I need to go back a read the comments as I could not see them. 

For the early embark, yes I was happy to get on early and spoke with many crew, thanking them for all their hard work. I don’t want to come off as ungrateful. As I was happy to be on the ship early. We’ve never been on this early before I guess. 

Oceanview is a bustle today. Took a while to find seating. 

IMG_8911.jpeg

IMG_8912.jpeg

IMG_8914.jpeg

IMG_8915.jpeg

IMG_8916.jpeg

IMG_8917.jpeg

IMG_8918.jpeg

IMG_8919.jpeg

IMG_8920.jpeg

IMG_8921.jpeg

IMG_8922.jpeg

IMG_8923.jpeg

• Like 1

5 ships in port today, and we are parked about a mile out of town. This is a first for me, having been here a few times and being right downtown.  They have shuttle busses taking passengers into town. Nothing planned, and I’m staying onboard today. My temp app says 41F and it’s raining.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, TinyG said:

No it’s roasting. Everyplace so far is warm

Oh no.  I hate being hot and I'm already struggling with my packing...so I guess I need to throw in some short sleeves??  How about your stateroom?  Cooler there?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Oh no.  I hate being hot and I'm already struggling with my packing...so I guess I need to throw in some short sleeves??  How about your stateroom?  Cooler there?

Last time I sailed in Alaska (Disney) the MDR was so cold the servers brought our kids tablecloths to wrap up in. I’m going to ask everyone until I go…lol…I don’t want to overpack but I either have sleeveless/short sleeves or sweaters…not really an in between person I guess.

• Like 1

Last year when I was trying to post a review I had a really hard time posting photos or even being able to log on to CC on some days.  It was very frustrating   I finally had to upgrade my internet to Premium in order to do it. 

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Uggh, me too!  I am the hot flash queen around here.  I’m really looking forward to a nice, cool, cruise.  I sure hope they don’t have all the indoor areas sweltering hot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Octavias said:

I sure hope they don’t have all the indoor areas sweltering hot. 

That's my fear as well!  They don't need to fire up the heat on my account...this coming from a fellow hot flash queen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

That's my fear as well!  They don't need to fire up the heat on my account...this coming from a fellow hot flash queen!

Too funny!  I’m just waiting to become one…I’m on the delayed heat plan. 🙂

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Which port?  Sorry If I missed it.

Juneau, 3 Holland America and Princess Discovery in front of us.

We I’ll be getting off around 3PM letting those who need to be places have more room. 

I’m not in the heated section quite yet, but felt more heat because of the location. I guess I would think like post Covid era that you could feel more of a fresh air feeling, than a stuffy and warm. It’s nice to be on Eden and be able to go outside, but that’s smoking side. You have to go more forward to go outside, but that stops where the magic carpet is. 

I wonder how this does in warm climates. Oddly no blankets outside with the towels. We did have that for the Iceland cruise on the Silly.