Flight change

Posted (edited)

We are embarking on Liberty of the seas on Sept 26 for the 9 day Canada/NE.  I just had notice from the airline that they have changed the flight that we return home with.  Originally the flight was scheduled for 11:15 out of EWR... they have now moved it to 9:35. That seems way too early for my comfort level.  The only other option with that airline is around 8 pm. That is way too late.  I can move to LGA or JFK at no charge.  Which airport would you recommend? This is my first time flying into New York.

Edited by Tree_skier

If you’ll be at Cape Liberty port (I don’t know where you'll dock), I would try to change airlines and stay at Newark. Is that possible? No matter what time of day, theres always so much traffic to get in or out of NY. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Both are far/expensive, but I would opt for LGA.

Yah. Either's going to be nearly a 2-hour ride and going to cost about $75 per person once you're all paid up. 

Yes, I think it's too early. I usually get off the ship at Cape Liberty between 7:30-8am. Security/bag drop at EWR has been crowded and chaotic in the early morning hours.

It is more expensive and takes more time to go out of JFK or LGA but on a Saturday morning, it should not be as bad as during the weekday rush hour. So I would either change to another flight out of EWR (very short trip from the port) or choose JFK or LGA.  

If you could get another airline out of EWR I would do that.

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We are embarking on Liberty of the seas on Sept 26 for the 9 day Canada/NE.  I just had notice from the airline that they have changed the flight that we return home with.  Originally the flight was scheduled for 11:15 out of EWR... they have now moved it to 9:35. That seems way too early for my comfort level.  The only other option with that airline is around 8 pm. That is way too late.  I can move to LGA or JFK at no charge.  Which airport would you recommend? This is my first time flying into New York.

It hardly matters whether you choose LGA or JFK. Pick the one that has the flight schedule that best meets your needs.

• Like 2

I have three flights going to/from LGA in the upcoming months.  I had some JetBlue credit to use/lose.  Unfortunately, JetBlue recently ended Boston to EWR.  My cousin is supposedly going to pick me up at LGA and the cruise port for a fee of $80 each segment.  If he doesn't come through, I'm not sure what my backup plan will be.  Public transportation?  The Blade helicopter is too rich for my pockets to get from LGA to EWR.

I did see a "Purchase Park 2 Fly" (pp2f.com) shuttle when I was at Cape Liberty last year but I have not been able to find out if they provide shuttle service from Cape Liberty to LGA.

Thanks all... the flight was with Jet Blue and was with points so I really didn't want to change airline if I didn't have to.  I've decided to go with JFK because of flight times.  The price to prebook an Uber is just over $100 as of this afternoon so it's not terrible.  It would be $36 to EWR so I'm only losing a bit.  It's still lots cheaper than paying full price for two new plane tix.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soremekun said:

I have three flights going to/from LGA in the upcoming months.  I had some JetBlue credit to use/lose.  Unfortunately, JetBlue recently ended Boston to EWR.  My cousin is supposedly going to pick me up at LGA and the cruise port for a fee of $80 each segment.  If he doesn't come through, I'm not sure what my backup plan will be.  Public transportation?  The Blade helicopter is too rich for my pockets to get from LGA to EWR.

I did see a "Purchase Park 2 Fly" (pp2f.com) shuttle when I was at Cape Liberty last year but I have not been able to find out if they provide shuttle service from Cape Liberty to LGA.

Your only reasonable options from transportation between LGA and Cape Liberty are rideshare (Uber or Lyft) or a car service.

Public transit between the two is impractical, requiring 5 or 5 different transportation mechanisms combining bus, multiple trains, and a taxi or uber ride at the end.

It seems fairly obvious from reading the pp2f website that they only provide local shuttle service to and from their parking facilities in the immediate vicinity of each of the three airports, not service between airports.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks all... the flight was with Jet Blue and was with points so I really didn't want to change airline if I didn't have to.  I've decided to go with JFK because of flight times.  The price to prebook an Uber is just over $100 as of this afternoon so it's not terrible.  It would be $36 to EWR so I'm only losing a bit.  It's still lots cheaper than paying full price for two new plane tix.

Just over $100 isn't bad.  I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.  I have read that some drivers don't like to make the trip but prebooking should help with that.

16 hours ago, soremekun said:

Boston to NJ is an easy Amtrak, and cheaper.

13 hours ago, soremekun said:

Just over $100 isn't bad.  I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.  I have read that some drivers don't like to make the trip but prebooking should help with that.

Uber drivers are fine, taxi drivers don’t make the trip because they are legally prohibited from getting fares back to the city.

3 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Uber drivers are fine, taxi drivers don’t make the trip because they are legally prohibited from getting fares back to the city.

Ah gotcha. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Boston to NJ is an easy Amtrak, and cheaper.

Very true.  However, I didn't want to lose $700+ travel credit with JetBlue.  Also, the 5 hour train ride is not something I wanted to endure, unless circumstances call for it.  I've done it once for the ride back.  However, I'm starting to wonder if the planning headache and the cost from LGA to Cape Liberty is worth it.

5 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Very true.  However, I didn't want to lose $700+ travel credit with JetBlue.  Also, the 5 hour train ride is not something I wanted to endure, unless circumstances call for it.  I've done it once for the ride back.  However, I'm starting to wonder if the planning headache and the cost from LGA to Cape Liberty is worth it.

I’ve driven, flown, and trained to Boston from the nyc area, train is my favorite, all take about the same amount of time (including the 2 hours early for airport security). My daughter is in grad school there are she takes the train a lot more than flying (we are 20 minutes from EWR).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, soremekun said:

Anytime I've prebooked a longer trip in the NYC area I always find that it can be a bit more expensive than if I just hit the button when I was ready to go. 

Drivers don't say a word about a JFK or LGA trip with Uber or Lyft to Cape Liberty. The only ones that get grumpy going to New Jersey are NYC taxis that cant get a paying ride back to New York. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

Very true.  However, I didn't want to lose $700+ travel credit with JetBlue. 

But could be better used on a longer, more expensive trip. 

Also, the 5 hour train ride is not something I wanted to endure, unless circumstances call for it.  I've done it once for the ride back.  However, I'm starting to wonder if the planning headache and the cost from LGA to Cape Liberty is worth it.

Boston to NYC on Amtrak is 3h 50m on the Acela and a little over 4 hours on the Regional-- not anywhere close to 5 hours. If you took it to Newark Penn (a short Uber ride to Cape Liberty) it would be a little over 4 hours on the Acela and 4.5 on the Regional. 

Typically, when you weigh the trip time going to Logan, being there at least an hour and a half early for security, the hour long flight, then getting from LGA or JFK to Cape Liberty the train will most likely be faster than flying and thats not considering that flights get delayed and cancelled from Logan far more frequently than the train gets delayed. 

I'm up in Boston once a month and I typically only take the train (from Philly which is 5 hours) because flying isn't any faster and it's a lot more of a hassle. Far more time to relax on the train. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

But could be better used on a longer, more expensive trip. 

Boston to NYC on Amtrak is 3h 50m on the Acela and a little over 4 hours on the Regional-- not anywhere close to 5 hours. If you took it to Newark Penn (a short Uber ride to Cape Liberty) it would be a little over 4 hours on the Acela and 4.5 on the Regional. 

Typically, when you weigh the trip time going to Logan, being there at least an hour and a half early for security, the hour long flight, then getting from LGA or JFK to Cape Liberty the train will most likely be faster than flying and thats not considering that flights get delayed and cancelled from Logan far more frequently than the train gets delayed. 

I'm up in Boston once a month and I typically only take the train (from Philly which is 5 hours) because flying isn't any faster and it's a lot more of a hassle. Far more time to relax on the train. 

Yes, could've been used for a different trip.  However, I only fly for cruises and didn't have time to apply it to a Florida flight before expiration.

Here is my receipt from my Amtrak trip:

Screenshot_20240513-1328202.png.270d47e36b520199de6e43fc593a572f.png

Here is my receipt from my Amtrak trip:

Keep in mind it's faster to get to/from Cape Liberty Cruise Port to Newark Penn Station downtown (vs Newark Airport Station where you went) and when you get to the station you don't have to waste time taking the airport monorail to the station itself. There are far more options of trains at Newark Penn including the much faster Acela that takes 4 hours to Boston. Newark Airport has a limited number of trains that stop there. 

We're all going to do what makes us happy and comfortable, but if you and I both left the ship at 8am at Cape Liberty with you flying from LGA/JFK (or even EWR for that matter) to Boston Logan and I took the next available train I could make from Newark Penn to Boston Back Bay I would beat you into downtown Boston handily. 

11 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Keep in mind it's faster to get to/from Cape Liberty Cruise Port to Newark Penn Station downtown (vs Newark Airport Station where you went) and when you get to the station you don't have to waste time taking the airport monorail to the station itself. There are far more options of trains at Newark Penn including the much faster Acela that takes 4 hours to Boston. Newark Airport has a limited number of trains that stop there. 

We're all going to do what makes us happy and comfortable, but if you and I both left the ship at 8am at Cape Liberty with you flying from LGA/JFK (or even EWR for that matter) to Boston Logan and I took the next available train I could make from Newark Penn to Boston Back Bay I would beat you into downtown Boston handily. 

Understood.  I was at the airport and my flight was delayed by several hours.  My wife wanted to get moving ASAP so I purchased a couple of seats on Amtrak and that was that experience.  It was a first for both of us and I wanted to try it.

I do like your travel idea.  Question, would you risk traveling Amtrak the morning of your cruise (Boston to Newark Penn)?

47 minutes ago, soremekun said:

I do like your travel idea.  Question, would you risk traveling Amtrak the morning of your cruise (Boston to Newark Penn)?

I believe I would prefer my chances on Amtrak than with an airline on day of cruise.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I believe I would prefer my chances on Amtrak than with an airline on day of cruise.

All day long. Especially if that flight was from Boston Logan. 

Early in my career I lived in Boston and worked right next to South Station. My company's HQ was in Midtown Manhattan so a decent part of my Boston coworkers and I would frequently be back and forth to NYC. I would book the Acela every time. They would always book the shuttle to LGA. Every time the fog would roll in and the flights would cancel there would be a mad dash by everyone in Boston to book what remaining trains were left. 

I beat my coworkers to NYC nearly every time over a several year period on the train.