Captain James McDonald from Harmony

Yes, I just saw this posted on the Harmony FB page.  We never sailed with him but I know plenty have and really liked him.

He was my favorite captain. I loved his southern accent and friendly to all. I am so sorry. I knew the ship diverted to ft Lauderdale to take him to the hospital but didnt see he passed. I really am sad. 

We were on Harmony (first time) in January and he was onboard then. We didn't have any interactions with him other than listening to his announcements. Condolences to his family, friends and crew. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

He was my favorite captain. I loved his southern accent and friendly to all. I am so sorry. I knew the ship diverted to ft Lauderdale to take him to the hospital but didnt see he passed. I really am sad. 

Actually, they diverted to Cozumel and from what I understand he was medivaced to the US from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Not that it really matters, but the ship (Harmony) diverted to Cozumel. I was there on Apex when Harmony came into port. I knew Harmony wasn’t scheduled to be there that day, so I was curious why it was there. Checking FB later that day let us know what unfortunately had happened on the ship. 

We met Captain James in 2004 on jewel of the seas, cruising the Baltics. We were quite surprised, as it turns out our two sons knew each other from our hometown of St. Petersburg Florida. We quickly became friends. Our deep condolences go to his wife, Jill, and son Jagger and the entire family. we did many cruises together and of course he was the master. But when he was home, I would try to reciprocate and he became my buddy, going to TampaBay Lightning games. Originally from Canada, he played hockey and was quite a fan. We have done many cruises, and I can honestly say he is one of the finest captains we have ever had. Always visible among passengers and crew. He will surely be missed by many.
Joe & Theresa 

st. Petersburg, Florida

• Like 8

Sailed with Capt James twice on the Grandeur many years ago. Chated with him many times in the smoking area on the promenade deck before and after diner. Super nice fella. Sad to hear of this. Prayers for his family.

On 5/16/2024 at 5:15 PM, firefly333 said:

The Harmony was diverted to Cozumel where he was taken to the hospital there.  Obviously at some point shortly thereafter they flew him to the States.

We were on the Mariner that day and our Captain announced that we volunteered to swap and dock at the downtown pier because the Harmony needed a bigger berth to come in for a medical emergency.  

We later found out it was for Captain James…..😢😢

8 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

The Harmony was diverted to Cozumel where he was taken to the hospital there.  Obviously at some point shortly thereafter they flew him to the States.

We were on the Mariner that day and our Captain announced that we volunteered to swap and dock at the downtown pier because the Harmony needed a bigger berth to come in for a medical emergency.  

We later found out it was for Captain James…..😢😢

Any update?

Sad....we sailed with Captain James on Liberty back in 2019 or 2020 (can't remember which sailing it was for sure).  Sat at a table right next to where he was in the Windjammer.  Nice guy.  Condolences to the family.

2 hours ago, Barley928 said:

Any update?

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

He passed away today…..😢😢😢

1 hour ago, Barley928 said:

Omg.  How awful.  Thank you for the update

His passing was posted yesterday.  See the first post of this thread.

God Bless & give his family strength. 

Liked him even after he almost threw me off a cruise(misunderstanding). On a later cruise we joked about it.

22 hours ago, Im4rays said:

We met Captain James in 2004 on jewel of the seas, cruising the Baltics. We were quite surprised, as it turns out our two sons knew each other from our hometown of St. Petersburg Florida. We quickly became friends. Our deep condolences go to his wife, Jill, and son Jagger and the entire family. we did many cruises together and of course he was the master. But when he was home, I would try to reciprocate and he became my buddy, going to TampaBay Lightning games. Originally from Canada, he played hockey and was quite a fan. We have done many cruises, and I can honestly say he is one of the finest captains we have ever had. Always visible among passengers and crew. He will surely be missed by many.
Joe & Theresa 

st. Petersburg, Florida

So sad you lost a friend.😥

How old was Captain James?

• Thanks 1

We sailed with Captain MacDonald on several cruises over the years from the Jewel, Liberty, and Harmony of the Seas. Always enjoyed seeing him and his warm friendly smile. A legend within the RCCL family who will be surely missed. Our deepest sympathy to his family.  

• Like 1