Labadee no longer a port of call?

4 hours ago, Ready to go said:

My January on the Ascent is now going to Falmouth,Jamaica

Which isnt all that much better in all honesty. I was in Labadee last May and it was fine. Feel bad for the people of Haiti that rely on the port to survive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swordfish1949 said:

Sad situation.

Kenya cops are finally on the way supported by US financially and troops from a few other Caribbean countries. 

I was hoping that we weren't going there. With things as they are in Haiti, a couple of chain link fences aren't really going to stop anyone who is determined to get onto that private property. I am good with the change.

I am very happy that we received notice yesterday that our Feb. 8 Labadee stop will go to Turks and Caicos instead. Have seen pics of that area and have wanted to go there for some time. I know it is very rare that an X ship goes  there. 

14 hours ago, garyl62 said:

On our March 23, 2024 Ascent sailing Labadee was changed to Falmouth, Jamaica.  We've never been there so will look into options on land, although the port times are 7:00 - 3:00 and it's a tender port.  This is already a "stay on board" trip as we have 3 sea days, Grand Cayman and Nassau as the other ports.  

Trust me, don't get your hopes up too high!  It's Jamaica after all.   I will say we did a nice snorkel trip there years ago.  It was my first time snorkeling at the age of 60 and I was a nervous wreck - the people were very patient and nice to me.  But the port overall -nothing to write home about

Falmouth is NOT a tender port. It is a "fake" port built by RCI several years ago. Been there many times. Not unpleasant, but unless on a tour, it is not recommended to leave the gates  of the port for local area. 

• Like 2

We just got notified yesterday that our March 2025 Summit cruise just changed from Labadee to St. Maarten. So they are now changing through at least the first part of 2025. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 39august said:

I am very happy that we received notice yesterday that our Feb. 8 Labadee stop will go to Turks and Caicos instead. Have seen pics of that area and have wanted to go there for some time. I know it is very rare that an X ship goes  there. 

that's a win... better than Nassau!

• Thanks 1

Our April 10, 2025 Eastern Caribbean Cruise has replaced Labadee with Turks & Caicos.  The cruise planner is still showing Labadee excursions with just the port name changed.  Guess that’s a work in progress. 😎

Glad we’re not going to Nassau or Falmouth.  Last time I was in Falmouth (years and years ago) just stayed in the safety of the fenced-in, guarded tourist area.  The Margaritaville bar was just steps away from a swimming pool.  Remember wondering how many drunks fall in daily.  Brought back a six pack and a “It’s my own damn fault” baseball cap for DH.  (Security let the beer through.)

22 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I just got the email for my November cruise--we're going to Turks & Caicos instead.  Not fond of that, but it is what it is.  I'm sorry for the poor locals who were able to earn some income at Labadee.  I wonder if Haiti will ever manage to rid itself of all the crooks and charlatans who have been running it into the ground forever.

i was there with my parents on a cruise in the 6o's...We loved the warm and wonderful people, but Papa Doc was in charge.   Our guide carried a weapon!  I was a bit nervous but we not disturbed.

Hope things improve but the  near term outlook is grim! Gangs, dictators, hard to get aid in there!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

We just got notified yesterday that our March 2025 Summit cruise just changed from Labadee to St. Maarten. So they are now changing through at least the first part of 2025. 

St Maarten is lovely! Why didn’t they change ours to there instead of Nassau. Ugh. 

On 5/23/2024 at 1:50 PM, CruisinRoxy said:

I just got an email from Celebrity advising us that they are switching out Labadee Haiti for Nassau. On our Apex sailing next February. Not thrilled about Nassau and we have been there many times.  But that’s not the point, we can always make it a ship day.  But does anyone know any further information about Labadee?  Given the unrest in Haiti, which I have not been following.  It’s more than 6 months from now, so it must not be good. 

If you have been following the news, it does not seem like things will be safe again in 6 months to who knows how long.  My second cruise was in 1994 on RCCL and we were only given 1 month noticed Hatti would be skipped all together, but the did not do an alternate port...it was an extra day at sea.  That decision came very quickly after things collapsed so I am sure they did not have time to secure a different port in time.

We were at Labadee on the Symphony of the Seas in December, and also in Falmouth.  We're on the Ascent in January, and Labadee was just changed to Falmouth.  

Last time we were there we left the port area, because DH forgot to bring his ties.  We found a nice little store selling them so he got one.  We also went to a local grocery store, looking for JBM coffee.  

This time we'll probably just hang out in the port area.