Georgia Peaches heads to The Last Frontier…Seeking Answers…Will She Love Alaska? Live-May 31-June 7th…Teetering on The Edge

Georgia - can’t wait to follow your review.  We also have been conflicted about Alaska for years.  Hope you have an amassing cruise!

Hope your weather is better than my June cruise.  Was mostly chilly and rainy.  Two sunny days out of seven, one was in “rainy” Ketchikan.  My seaplane/lodge and helicopter-to-glacier tours were cancelled.  The helicopter tour was on a beautiful, sunny day in Skagway.  Took a bus to town and had a pleasant day walking around.  The seaplane tour was replaced with small boat whale watching led by a scientist.  I loved it!  The small boat Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier tour had rain and sleet but the scenery was worth it. 

Despite the miserable weather I’m willing to give Alaska another try some day. 🌲🦅🦀

• Like 2

We have often managed with just puffers and sweatshirts.    My only recommendation is that if you want to spend outside on deck at the Glacier make sure you bring Ear Muffs, Scarf and Gloves.   It really gets quite nippy outside during the stay at the Glacier.

My sister from Oklahoma (who never listens) didn't bring any of the above and I had to give up some of mine... should have just let her freeze. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Have a great trip.  I'll follow.  

We've been to Alaska 8 times, in a combination of Princess and Celebrity.  I think I'm going to book it in 2026 next (as the 22 day RT San Francisco 2025 on Princess is sold out in minisuites).  

If you're round trip Seattle, Victoria will always be the evening visit.  Personally, every Canadian I know has told me to skip tea at the Empress, since Fairmount took over it's overpriced for what you get.  Last time we were there we walked to the harbor area, looked at the houseboats and got ice cream.

And for the glacier viewing, as @Jim_Iain just said, it can get very cold.  As far as weather I've been in April, May, July, August and September.  Weather varied from nicely in the high 50s every day, to wet and rainly every day.  YMMV.

Have a blast.

Edited by abbydancer2003
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

My sister from Oklahoma (who never listens) didn't bring any of the above and I had to give up some of mine... should have just let her freeze. 

You're too much of a gentleman for that!  Thank you.  I had not packed something to cover my ears.  So glad I purged my sleeping mask!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You're too much of a gentleman for that!  Thank you.  I had not packed something to cover my ears.  So glad I purged my sleeping mask!

LOL--- With my sister all bets are off.    They sell ear muffs in many of your early ports.  

• Haha 1

As mentioned earlier, we will be getting an exceptionally early start in the morning!  I am looking forward to trying Alaska Airlines as they are apparently known for the fantastic in-flight meals.  Ordering opened 2 weeks prior to departure and included a pretty nice menu.  

Our plane is a Boeing 737-900.  Unlike Delta, our go-to airline, Alaska is a BYOD airline which meant I had to round up an extra tablet for DH...fortunately, our millennials had one to spare.  I made the flight reservations through Flights by Celebrity and took advantage of not having to pay until final payment was due.  The fare for first class was cheaper than Delta, by a lot...but was the same price as what was listed in FBC...so no savings on fare...just a later payment date.  Once booked, Alaska Air allowed me to log into their site and immediately pick our seats.  I picked the first row, left side..as per usual.  Finally, another nice perk with Alaska Air is they have a lounge in Seattle and first class ticket holders traveling over 2000 miles on a domestic flight, gain complementary access.  As it happens, ATL is 2120 miles from Seattle!  This will be nice because we have a late flight back home.

We are staying at The Arctic Club Hotel.  A historic, boutique hotel not far from all the tourist attractions like the Space Needle and the fish market.  We were able to reserve using Capital One points and have secured a King room for the cost of the resort fee.  Not bad!  As we arrive in Seattle at 9:30 in the morning, I am hopeful they will have a place for us to store our luggage while we explore the city.

One of my points of interest that I am hoping to see is Whidbey Island...there are several ways to get there, including car rental, but I'm not sure how feasible the trip will be.  Although I am a southern gal, I was born on Whidbey Island (Oak Harbor) where my dad was stationed all those years ago.  It may be that I will just have to wave as we pass the island on Friday afternoon.  I am open to suggestions on places to visit!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Are you sure about purging that sleeping mask? There are going to be some very early sunrises!

If you aren't able to get up to Butchart Gardens, I'd suggest a cocktail at the Empress (have a drink with their special Empress gin), and a nice stroll around the waterfront.

• Thanks 1

It seems like I'm always following along on a @Georgia_Peaches cruise. This time though, I'm hoping there is no repeat of the San Pedro debacle! That one made me feel like I was watching a remake of 'The Great Race'...lol....

Bon Voyage and smoooooth sailing!

• Like 1

Looking forward to your thoughts and observations. We will be on the Edge 8/16 for our second trip to Alaska -- but the first was 18 years ago! No suite for us this time , just a lowly sunset veranda...... I'll miss my Bourbon and Peaches in Luminae 😔.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

I also will be following.  We spent 40 nights on the Edge last fall, and I am curious as to what folks think about this particular ship in Alaska.

Another evening option in Victoria is a meal at the Bard and Banker Scottish Pub located on Government Street.  Located in a heritage building with great ambiance.  Great food and adult beverages.  Easy walk from the cruise terminal (about 25 minutes at an easy pace).  

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Finally, another nice perk with Alaska Air is they have a lounge in Seattle and first class ticket holders traveling over 2000 miles on a domestic flight, gain complementary access.  As it happens, ATL is 2120 miles from Seattle!  This will be nice because we have a late flight back home.

We are staying at The Arctic Club Hotel.  A historic, boutique hotel not far from all the tourist attractions like the Space Needle and the fish market. 

Well played.  I love historic boutique hotels.  Maybe you would be interested in checking out the Chihuly museum?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Alaska is a BYOD airline which meant I had to round up an extra tablet for DH.

Don't forget headphones. Alaska does not have them to sell/give to you.

• Thanks 1

What day are you porting in Victoria? Starting June 1, Butchart Gardens is open till 10 pm Wed - Sun. We've done both day and evening tours on different trips there and loved it in the rain and sun. At night, the fountains are lit with colored lights which give it a magical look.

Just caught up on all the pre trip prep!  I am sure you will have a great time.  We went in 2006 on Holland America.  It was end of July and rained most of the time!  We did take a helicopter to Mendenhal glacier and a sea plane to the fiords.  Beautiful and majestic!  It was about 50° outside.  The nicest day was seeing the Buckhart Gardens.  I’m glad I saw Alaska but I have no desire to go back.  I am a warm weather, palm trees type of person!  

safe travels!

Bonnie

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have often managed with just puffers and sweatshirts.    My only recommendation is that if you want to spend outside on deck at the Glacier make sure you bring Ear Muffs, Scarf and Gloves.   It really gets quite nippy outside during the stay at the Glacier.

I always pack Hot Hands (hand warmers) too. I keep one in each of my jacket pockets so I can pop my hands in to warm up. 

18 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Awe, dang it!  I'm too proud of my bargain not to find an opportunity to wear it!  Glad to know you've had pretty decent weather otherwise.  I'm expecting a bit of rain but I'll survive!  Temps look to be in the low 50's most of the time with morning lows in the high 40's.  I can live with this for sure!

You'll enjoy it if you're going to Hubbard Glacier.  I just thought it was too much to drag along with me.  And you did get a bargain!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

One of my points of interest that I am hoping to see is Whidbey Island...there are several ways to get there, including car rental, but I'm not sure how feasible the trip will be.  Although I am a southern gal, I was born on Whidbey Island (Oak Harbor) where my dad was stationed all those years ago.  It may be that I will just have to wave as we pass the island on Friday afternoon.  I am open to suggestions on places to visit!

If you're unable to figure out an easy way to get to Whidbey Island, I highly recommend the Chihuly Museum.  I understand the desire to visit a place where you lived previously.  My dad was stationed in San Juan for three years, and the housing where we lived is no longer--it is part of San Cristobal National Historic Site.  It was great fun living right on the ocean and playing in the moats as kids!

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

If you're unable to figure out an easy way to get to Whidbey Island, I highly recommend the Chihuly Museum.  I understand the desire to visit a place where you lived previously.  My dad was stationed in San Juan for three years, and the housing where we lived is no longer--it is part of San Cristobal National Historic Site.  It was great fun living right on the ocean and playing in the moats as kids!

Both you and @Stem to Stern have recommended Chihuly. We just put it on our list for today. Whidbey island is out. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Happy to report that we made it to Seattle without incident. Breakfast of banana bread French toast with eggs and bacon was pretty good and although my Tile tag indicated that my suitcase was in the Rocky Mountains, it actually arrived in Seattle as well. Life is good! 😊 

More to follow…

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Happy to report that we made it to Seattle without incident. Breakfast of banana bread French toast with eggs and bacon was pretty good and although my Tile tag indicated that my suitcase was in the Rocky Mountains, it actually arrived in Seattle as well. Life is good! 😊 

More to follow…

Getting closer by the moment.    Those tags can be fun.   I was flying cross country and my bag must have been close to a person with an iPhone.   I could see it flying with me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Getting closer by the moment.    Those tags can be fun.   I was flying cross country and my bag must have been close to a person with an iPhone.   I could see it flying with me.

When you said “those tags can be fun,” I immediately thought about my first time using one.  It kept popping up on my phone and sharing all kinds of information whether my bag was with me or not.  Once I arrived home, I still received messages and had to call Apple for a fix.  It seems I was one of those people where the tag went wack-a-doodle.  Finally, the issue was fixed by the next trip.

• Haha 1