Hotels in Galveston

Thanks to all of you, we are starting to get a grip on our cruise out of Galveston.  GREAT information for flight times & transportation.  Now that I have the ball rolling......can you recommend a hotel in Galveston?  We are coming in early to see the town.  Would you recommend the pier? or sea wall?  Thanks again

Posted (edited)

We always stay at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort - there are some pics in my most recent review if you want a gander. What I love about it is that it's around 10 minutes from the cruise port, and right across the street from the ocean. There is a CVS or Walgreens (can't remember which!) right next door within walking distance, along with a Landry's next door as well, and other restaurants as you head down toward the pier. Really can't beat the views and the convenience, plus, it was recently renovated and rooms are just lovely. 

Edited by GetToLivin
  • Like 4

@3red7s The above sounds like a good hotel, but if you want to look for others, sign into something like Expedia and put in Galveston.  Just keep in mind RCCL has it’s new terminal, but the old one is still in use so if being close to the terminal is important to you, make sure pick a hotel close to the RCCL Terminal.  
Galveston has a variety of hotels and none of them are real far from the terminal, but you would need to Uber to the port in many cases, depending on your capabilities and how far away you are, but I usually stay with my nephew in Houston so I get to visit with him when I get down there.

I love cruising out of Galveston.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Really not a lot of great hotel options there.

Wondering what you would consider a great hotel option as Galveston is a tourist area and there's a little of everything. 

• Like 2

We like the higher end hotels 

Moody Gardens huge , with a couple of restaurants including a good steak 

San Luis another large resort with great steak restaurant and a piano bar

Hilton 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 2:26 PM, George C said:

We like the higher end hotels 

Moody Gardens huge , with a couple of restaurants including a good steak 

San Luis another large resort with great steak restaurant and a piano bar

Hilton 

We'd also stayed at Moody Gardens a couple times, they did a "park for your cruise" promotion.  Only downside there was getting a room very, very far off into the hinterlands.  

Stayed at Springhill Suites last time.  Good enough, big room with a good rate but access a little difficult.  The Target is a short drive, but coming back not as easy.  

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 6:24 PM, GetToLivin said:

We always stay at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort - there are some pics in my most recent review if you want a gander. What I love about it is that it's around 10 minutes from the cruise port, and right across the street from the ocean. There is a CVS or Walgreens (can't remember which!) right next door within walking distance, along with a Landry's next door as well, and other restaurants as you head down toward the pier. Really can't beat the views and the convenience, plus, it was recently renovated and rooms are just lovely. 

We are looking at the Hilton as well for April '25. Do you know if they have a port shuttle service? If so, how much per guest? 

3 hours ago, NC State said:

We are looking at the Hilton as well for April '25. Do you know if they have a port shuttle service? If so, how much per guest? 

Hello! Yes, they do have a port shuttle - we haven't used it in a while because we drive down and park at the port, but I want to say it was around $10-20/pp roundtrip, I do remember it being nominal.

• Like 1

We like the Tremont.  It’s on the higher end but is a lovely historic hotel on the Strand.  We have stayed at mid range too like the Hampton ( getting run down) and 2 other newer Hilton brand properties closer to the water.  Use trip advisor and read some reviews to get what’s right for you.

• Like 3

Y'all I got sticker shock with the Hilton.  I'm taking my mom and her sister, both in their late 70s and they will not be able to pay that price.  I need to look at another option. Looking for a nice clean hotel with breakfast and shuttle to port.  More suggestions? 

• Like 1

If you want a hotel under $200 on a weekend in Galveston you need to stay north of the island near NASA in Webster or near Hobby Airport ( which isn’t in the best neighborhood.) Galveston is crazy high on weekends. It’s less than an hour drive from either of those locations.  

For actual Galveston I book as early as possible.  I got the Tremont for $300 months ago and it’s now over $600 for our night. The Tremont is nice but I wouldn’t pay that. So glad I booked early.  

• Like 3

I like to stay near the port so I usually book The Tremont or the Harbor House and can then walk to the pier.  Harbor House is more reasonable price wise but fills up quickly.  We did stay at the holiday inn express on the seawall and I think the price was lower it was nice and I believe they had a shuttle to the pier and restaurants within walking distance.  This was a couples of years ago.

• Like 2

We like the Tremont which is on the Strand.  Close to great restaurants, shops, and every thing. We also like Hotel Galvez on the seawall. Close to many restaurants and across from the water. We like Moody Gardens if we don't plan on doing much since it is a drive to anything. If looking for a B&B; the 1890 Freeman house or the Mansion on 17th are great.  About 2 blocks from the Strand and 3 blocks to some great restaurants that the locals go to. 

• Like 2