28-day Westerdam Arctic Summer Solstice Live from the ship June 9-July 7

I'm starting this new thread so folks can add their experiences for the benefit of others on the trip with us as well as those who moved to the 2025 cruise.  Anyone is free to add information, make comments etc....  I found a review someone did this spring very interesting and helpful.  It was unbiased - gave information factually, and enthusiastically.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

@TableGirl Thanks for starting this!  DH and I have been to some of these ports before and have decided to do this trip without any tours -- we'll just get out and explore the towns. I'll briefly post our adventures here to hopefully help those who want to do the same or who find the tours full. We're also traveling without Have-it-all and with Anytime dining so I'll comment on those experiences too. Hopefully some will find it helpful. I look forward to seeing the different viewpoints!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

@jljcruise What a great idea just exploring the ports.  I wish I traveled to Alaska more so I could do that also.  I have never done anytime dining and would be interested to know how one books the dining times and also how you found the wait times.

Thanks for participating.

Donna

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TableGirl said:

I'm starting this new thread so folks can add their experiences for the benefit of others on the trip with us as well as those who moved to the 2025 cruise.  Anyone is free to add information, make comments etc....  I found a review someone did this spring very interesting and helpful.  It was unbiased - gave information factually, and enthusiastically.  

Thanks so much for doing this!   We are on the 2025 cruise and have learned a lot from your 2024 CC roll call.  The live posts will be much appreciated as we get excited about this cruise next year!

• Like 1

@TableGirl Thanks so much for doing a Live From on this wonder 28 day voyage on the Westerdam. This one really interests me and there has not been anyLove From or reviews of Westerdam since she started her Alaska sailings. 🌞

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TableGirl said:

Hi, we are on the 2025 roll call and would like to see what comments present passengers have about this cruise and ship.  Who do I contact to be on the 2025 roll call?

28 minutes ago, seaseer49 said:

Hi, we are on the 2025 roll call and would like to see what comments present passengers have about this cruise and ship.  Who do I contact to be on the 2025 roll call?

Go to the HAL Roll Call forum linked below and just post on it!  Have a great trip!

• Thanks 1

We've had a very active roll call for this new legendary cruise on which we are about to embark!

I booked this cruise going on 2 years ago and can't believe we are now just a little over 2 days away from boarding!

• Like 3

We were booked on this sailing (and I briefly participated in the lovely roll call) before changing our minds about it. Wishing you all a fantastic trip and I look forward to following along!

1 hour ago, seaseer49 said:

@seaseer49  That would be me, Donna

Westerdam.june.2025@gmail.com

12 hours ago, DonnyD-JJ said:

@jljcruise What a great idea just exploring the ports.  I wish I traveled to Alaska more so I could do that also.  I have never done anytime dining and would be interested to know how one books the dining times and also how you found the wait times.

Thanks for participating.

Donna

Anytime dining is just that, you go to the main dining room anytime want.  You check-in at the desk, give them your cabin number and how many in your group.  Then they will ask if you want to share with others.  (Great way to meet people.)  I found that sometimes the line was long and sometimes not.  7 PM seemed to be the most crowded time, you really have to play it by ear and see what works best for you.

5 minutes ago, Traveling Dot said:

I have never done anytime dining and would be interested to know how one books the dining times

On embarkation day, go to one of the Specialty Dining podiums. One is near the Pinnacle Grill and the other between the Lido Pool and Spa. Only 50% of the anytime dining table are available for reservations. Depending on the ship, you may be able to reserve all nights, just the next 3 nights or just that night. You can also talk to the maître d' or call Dining Services from your room.

On 6/6/2024 at 1:14 PM, seaseer49 said:

You can set up a roll call for 2025 but check to see if someone has set it up first.  

So 2 friends and I arrived in Seattle tonight.  There is no way to avoid the trek to get to ground transportation.  From baggage claim you go up a floor cross over to the parking garage and go down a floor.  It’s a ‘schlep’!  We were all tired from traveling so we didn’t bother to get the shuttle.

This is why Seattle offers Port Valet I’m guessing.  It’s a pretty airport but what a hot mess.  

We are staying at the DoubleTree that had the special rate.  The $99 per night is about what this place is worth but we are all paying more than double that for the night we added (tonight which, oddly enough does NOT include breakfast).  Our flight was delayed leaving Minneapolis so we were glad we came in 2 nights early.

If I had it to do all over again, I’d send both suitcases ahead and bring a barebones carry on for one night and stay at a nicer hotel closer to the port or downtown.  But I wanted to see Seattle on this stay.  (Last time I came in a couple days early and we visited the Cascades National Park which was also totally worth it but we stayed at a nice Marriott Courtyard that overlooked the lake where the sea planes take off and land from.)

• Like 4