More Changes

Established 1853...

What's the difference between ketchup and fancy ketchup?

Fancy is a qualification from the USDA that certifies it as high-quality ketchup (Heinz is also considered Fancy ketchup). Fancy ketchup is a U.S. grade A ketchup that has good color, good consistency, good flavor, and is free from defects, according to the USDA.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Established 1853...

Fancy is a qualification from the USDA that certifies it as high-quality ketchup (Heinz is also considered Fancy ketchup). Fancy ketchup is a U.S. grade A ketchup that has good color, good consistency, good flavor, and is free from defects, according to the USDA.

Now what about catsup?

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Tnlynch81 said:

Now what about catsup?

Catsup and katchup are acceptable spellings used interchangeably with ketchup, however, ketchup is the way it is popularly used today. "Catsup", which dates to the same time, may well be a different Romanization of the same word, trying to come closer to a sound that doesn't really exist in English.

• Haha 2

I've never paid attention to the brand of ketchup restaurants offer. Are there strong opinions about ketchup brands? I know people will come to blows over their preferred brand of soda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tnlynch81 said:

This may be the last straw(joking)... at least the mustard is still Heinz... for now

20240608_071247.jpg

I just assumed, probably mistakenly, that the Heinz ketchup bottles were filled up when they become empty by a huge bulk tank of catsup that may or may not exceed the allowable quotient of insects...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Roscoe13 said:

I just assumed, probably mistakenly, that the Heinz ketchup bottles were filled up when they become empty by a huge bulk tank of catsup that may or may not exceed the allowable quotient of insects...

I doubt it. If you've ever tried to remove the lid off a recent Heinz bottle of ketchup (probably since they moved to the "no drip store upside down" design), you'll realize it doesn't just screw off.

I tried to reuse an old ketchup bottle to dispense oil and learned that fact.

Edited by mz-s

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I've never paid attention to the brand of ketchup restaurants offer. Are there strong opinions about ketchup brands? I know people will come to blows over their preferred brand of soda.

I’ll be honest, I rarely eat ketchup, but when I do, it’s Heinz or none. Don’t bring me “mystery” ketchup in a ramekin, I won’t touch it. DH thought he could pull one over on me once and refilled the Heinz bottle with Hunt’s…yeah, he learned really quick that my taste buds are picky about ketchup. Other things i really don’t care about, but that is one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Ketchup? Most don't care.

The difference is you don't mix ketchup with your good bourbon. I will always plant my flag on the hill of "bourbon and Coke" over bourbon and Pepsi. (One of the smaller reasons we mostly sail NCL now.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Actually, there is! I will not consume any other ketchup than Heinz. Everyone has their preferences and when I am on vacation I want what I want. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roscoe13 said:

I don't know if it is still true, but when I was a waitress back in the stone age, we were told that Heinz forbid the refilling of its ketchup bottles from big cans,  A restaurant (or a restaurant chain) was only supposed to buy the individual bottles.  One of my jobs at closing was to "marry" the ketchup bottles, which was to fill the half-empty ketchup bottles with other half-empty ketchup bottles.  If you got caught filling the bottles from a can, they would threaten to stop selling to you.

PYA Monarch is a brand of US Foodservice.  It is a brand that is often substituted for Heinz when it is not available.

I can think of at least two ketchups that I like better than Heinz - Reg Gold and Hunts.  The quality of many Heinz products has greatly deteriorated since their acquisition by Berkshire Hathaway.

26 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Actually, there is! I will not consume any other ketchup than Heinz. Everyone has their preferences and when I am on vacation I want what I want. 

I suppose you could steal some some packets from the last fast food place you eat at before you board the ship.  😀

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight.  In my family, we don't eat much ketchup.  I only have it on hand for recipes and guests.  I recently had to throw out my partial bottle because it had expired - and I think the expiration date is a year or two after it is manufactured.

9 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Established 1853...

Fancy is served only on Elegant Night, though

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I don't know if it is still true, but when I was a waitress back in the stone age, we were told that Heinz forbid the refilling of its ketchup bottles from big cans,  A restaurant (or a restaurant chain) was only supposed to buy the individual bottles.  One of my jobs at closing was to "marry" the ketchup bottles, which was to fill the half-empty ketchup bottles with other half-empty ketchup bottles.  If you got caught filling the bottles from a can, they would threaten to stop selling to you.

Me too!  Keeping that bottle balanced was a skill😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I suppose you could steal some some packets from the last fast food place you eat at before you board the ship.  😀

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight.  In my family, we don't eat much ketchup.  I only have it on hand for recipes and guests.  I recently had to throw out my partial bottle because it had expired - and I think the expiration date is a year or two after it is manufactured.

you worry too much. lol

• Haha 1