Premium desserts?

winhus

This will be our first time on Princess and we got the premier package, one of the benefits is premium desserts, can someone tell me what this is? I’ve cruised Celebrity, Royal and NCL and haven’t seen this before.

Posted (edited)

IMG_0127.png.17ec124789f9781a8a14fddcc5337d2b.png

Here is what they look like. Available in the gelateria,coffee and cones, or swirls depending on what ship you are on.Cakes at International cafe.

IMG_0104.thumb.jpeg.3d8e0a0c43da80ae1ed034bf1592c66c.jpeg

IMG_0105.jpeg.4a77fb50facd555ca59500b9da77186b.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg.ad9145da0191c5c8010a38a575cd3021.jpeg

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Can anyone tell me if it's either or ? We will have the Plus Package which allows two Premium desserts per day so I presume you could have two gelato's, two pieces of cake or one of each. Is that correct ? any more then there will be a charge, but looking at them I'm pretty sure I couldn't manage more than two per day and probably not two consecutive day's.

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Can anyone tell me if it's either or ? We will have the Plus Package which allows two Premium desserts per day so I presume you could have two gelato's, two pieces of cake or one of each. Is that correct ? any more then there will be a charge, but looking at them I'm pretty sure I couldn't manage more than two per day and probably not two consecutive day's.

2 in total per package holder, per day.

On the Regal they were happy to "amend" the gelato giant desserts and you could just have a few scoops and some sprinkels etc, and they classed it as a premium (which worked better for us). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, insidecabin said:

My last experience with the package was you could have any chargeable item upto the value of the premium desert.

depends on the ship.

On one I was told any gelato item so I would get the banana split or frangelico sundae.

Next cruise I ordered the sundae & they said they would have to charge me. Only the desserts on the advertisement were covered AND vanilla gelato used only, no substitutions.

After I checked at the guest services & they agreed...advertised only.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, winhus said:

This will be our first time on Princess and we got the premier package, one of the benefits is premium desserts, can someone tell me what this is? I’ve cruised Celebrity, Royal and NCL and haven’t seen this before.

These are what I think of as the "big, silly sundaes." We don't buy packages, but on our last cruise we still had OBC late in the cruise. So, we bought a big, silly sundae. This one is the Godfather. It's basically a brownie sundae, and it was fine. I wouldn't ever buy one of those unless I was trying to burn through OBC.

PXL_20240411_191728153~2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

2 in total per package holder, per day.

On the Regal they were happy to "amend" the gelato giant desserts and you could just have a few scoops and some sprinkels etc, and they classed it as a premium (which worked better for us). 

That was not my experience on the Enchanted May 4 sailing. The first time I went to the gelateria, I did get one of the giant sundaes, but the ladies in front of me in line asked if they could just have a scoop instead and were told they would be charged the $1.50. My second trip to the Gelateria on a different day, I could not handle one of the giant sundaes and wanted chocolate gelato instead of vanilla (all the sundaes are made with vanilla), so I just ordered a scoop of chocolate with some chocolate sauce and I was charged $1.50.

• Thanks 1

I hate all the waste.  It is impossible to eat the chocolate & candies on the outside of the glass. I asked for my sundae to be put in a plain glass. They said they are all decorated ahead of time & put in the freezer until used. Such a waste !

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

That was not my experience on the Enchanted May 4 sailing. The first time I went to the gelateria, I did get one of the giant sundaes, but the ladies in front of me in line asked if they could just have a scoop instead and were told they would be charged the $1.50. My second trip to the Gelateria on a different day, I could not handle one of the giant sundaes and wanted chocolate gelato instead of vanilla (all the sundaes are made with vanilla), so I just ordered a scoop of chocolate with some chocolate sauce and I was charged $1.50.

Here are the terms and conditions for Premium Desserts in Plus/Premier packages.

*Premium Desserts is limited to 2 desserts per guest per day during the voyage. Excludes SMiZE premium ice creams. Gratuities included; not valid using OceanNow feature within the Princess® App. Only available during open hours of the venue at which dessert is available.

There is no exclusion for a scoop of chocolate gelato with some chocolate sauce. The only restrictions are SMiZE ice cream and ordering through OceanNow. The $1.50 scoop of ice cream should be included in plus/premier based on the terms and conditions.

Just now, CDNCruiser55 said:

Here are the terms and conditions for Premium Desserts in Plus/Premier packages.

*Premium Desserts is limited to 2 desserts per guest per day during the voyage. Excludes SMiZE premium ice creams. Gratuities included; not valid using OceanNow feature within the Princess® App. Only available during open hours of the venue at which dessert is available.

There is no exclusion for a scoop of chocolate gelato with some chocolate sauce. The only restrictions are SMiZE ice cream and ordering through OceanNow. The $1.50 scoop of ice cream should be included in plus/premier based on the terms and conditions.

Well, it wasn't according to the guy working at the Gelateria on Enchanted in May.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I had no problem just getting a scoop of ice cream with chocolate sauce on the Island (November) and the Sky (February) instead of the Premier Dessert.  I guess it is who is behind the counter.

Edited by phabric
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

That's a shame as they were very good on the Regal: we didn't even have to ask for amendments, they offered as soon as they overheard us saying that we didn't want the fancy ones.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

On the Regal they were happy to "amend" the gelato giant desserts and you could just have a few scoops and some sprinkles etc, and they classed it as a premium (which worked better for us). 

same on Enchanted last week (1st week of June). We didn't even try the gelato based premium desserts and simply asked for 2-3 scoops of gelato instead to count towards the Premier package.

The Nutella gelato with or without whole roasted hazelnuts as a topping was fantastic. Apparently, chocolate gelato was just as great.

We also tried the Black Forest Cake once. It was good, but not like "OMG!" 

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

That was not my experience on the Enchanted May 4 sailing. The first time I went to the gelateria, I did get one of the giant sundaes, but the ladies in front of me in line asked if they could just have a scoop instead and were told they would be charged the $1.50.

our sailing last week was different. We went every day and got 1-3 scoops each and didn't get charged even once.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

same on Enchanted last week (1st week of June). We didn't even try the gelato based premium desserts and simply asked for 2-3 scoops of gelato instead to count towards the Premier package.

The Nutella gelato with or without whole roasted hazelnuts as a topping was fantastic. Apparently, chocolate gelato was just as great.

We also tried the Black Forest Cake once. It was good, but not like "OMG!" 

our sailing last week was different. We went every day and got 1-3 scoops each and didn't get charged even once.

That's good to hear! I am back on the Enchanted in August and hope this stays the same, as I much preferred my single scoop of chocolate to the giant abomination of a sundae I had earlier in the cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Enchanted in April (Premier package) and Discovery last April (Plus package) - No interest in the giant premium desserts advertised so on both cruises I ordered regular 2 scoop gelatos a couple times throughout the week and was not charged for them.  Never added any sauces or toppings.

The experience with  this does seem to vary a little bit from ship to ship based on everyone's different experiences but that was mine, and from what I've read it does seem to be the most common.  Most accounts of people believing they had to get the advertised desserts or be charged were based on asking crew members / guest services.  Seems the crew is very often inclined to play it safe and tell you you have to get the advertised desserts if you ask directly.

Having observed this I just don't bother asking.  In both cases I was half expecting to be charged and my intention was to watch my account and if I was charged, to roll my eyes and then immediately move on with life.

Despite what they say, in practice, just going up and ordering a couple scoops of gelato seems to almost never actually result in a charge to the account.  The person's story in this thread saying it happened to them is one of the few if not the first I've actually seen of its kind.  Part of why i threw in the fact that I didn't add any sauce or toppings to my gelato....perhaps that's a line of distinction....but it's way more likely that it's just typical inconsistency.  They may eventually crack down on this as well, so may be a sign of the times. Both my experiences were earlier.

Edited by PMGS247
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Well, it wasn't according to the guy working at the Gelateria on Enchanted in May.

Hi @JamieLogical, I was on the May sailing with you and the first time I visited the Gelateria, I asked if I could get any flavor gelato by itself instead of a premium dessert and was told I would be charged. When I was on Discovery earlier this year, they had no problem allowing me any flavor gelato by itself as a substitute, which is why I asked.

Later, I happen to sit with the HGM at the MTG(most traveled guest) luncheon and mentioned this to him. He said, I am allowed ‘any’ gelato by itself with the Premier package and to mention his name if I had any problems. So, it seems to be a matter of training on the Enchanted, but the policy does seem to vary on different ships.

I am back on the Enchanted next week, so I will see if I have any issues getting just gelato. I only went back one time last May and the crew member gave me just gelato without charge.

FYI, getting a little off topic, O’Malley’s towards the end of my B2B started serving ‘real’ onion rings instead of what seemed like the frozen reconstituted powered onion rings from a supermarket. You only get 6 now, but they were a great improvement. Was my first time on a ship with O’Malleys so I do not know what has been previously served. Looking forward to next week to find out if the swap to real onion rings is permanent. I am feeling this is a ‘new’ change since the holder for the ‘tower’ is designed to hold a lot more than just 6 rings and previously the tower of rings was filled to the top with the smaller ones.

11 hours ago, insidecabin said:

My last experience with the package was you could have any chargeable item upto the value of the premium desert.

At Christmas on Emerald there was no substitutions.  Premium or nothing.

My wife and I are going on a diet before our December cruise on Crown Princess..... looking at these premium deserts it is clear that we will probably put on weight on the cruise LOL! 😁

47 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

My wife and I are going on a diet before our December cruise on Crown Princess..... looking at these premium deserts it is clear that we will probably put on weight on the cruise LOL! 😁

I am a glutton with a very sweet tooth, and I wasn't tempted by them at all. They all had vanilla gelato in them, so no interest...