For those who prefer S Class to E or M, tell me why.

7 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I prefer S class, then M class.  Which have real balconies.  M class has fewer specialty restaurants, but I love the size of those ships and the penthouse on any M class ship is the best cabin at sea.

What is your favourite S class?

Never been able to afford to do a suite but we have been on most of the S and M class ships and on the Beyond.  I totally agree with those who love the S class. Just a bit bigger with more dining options, cabins that are a bit bigger.  We love having a real balcony, we love having the Sky Lounge and the Ensemble to hang out in on sea days plus the Library on a rainy day.  The openness of the Sunset bar on the S and M class is nice too.  On the Beyond, we had a problem on day one and it probably influenced the whole experience but we found the layout in general to be choppy and things were hard to find.  The Club is just a big dark room with a bar and some seating.  Not a place I would want to just hang out. Eden looks really nice but we found the seating really uncomfortable.  Everything seemed really low, maybe they were going for the modern look?  Just not comfortable.  Our Cabin was an OV because we booked late and the IVs were sold out and we really missed the balcony.  The window was an ok size but more often than not it was covered in sea spray so you could not really look out.  We are on the Eclipse in August and really looking forward to be ing back on the S class.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I’ll be in a M class Sky suite in 6 months.  I don’t like that they seem to all have a view of the lifeboats one or two decks below.  But we wanted to try the Retreat in this class of ship.

Since I’m in the Retreat, do you suppose they would remove all the lifeboats if I asked them?  I mean, what are they used for, anyway?  😂

Here are some photos from M Class Sky Suites. The lifeboats are not a problem for me.1360685990_6132suite1.thumb.jpg.00ee17ef214900f40eb2e426f941c4e3.jpgIMG_20170123_045905811.thumb.jpg.825aafab0a9f0334cc1b40fad97e6f5f.jpg

9 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Many of these pretty much are why we DON'T like E class at all.  Tried it twice, won't go back again.  The ships are "cold,"  and I don't mean temperature, just the atmosphere in general. So many spaces that aren't utilized, blank walls heading toward MDR's.   

Luminae on E class and especially Beyond & Ascent where it just continues to get bigger and bigger is a huge disappointment compared to M or S class.  Large, more like a MDR than the warm, friendly, FAR better menu choices and excellent service.  On the E class while the wait staff tries valiantly they can't get beyond the number of tables, the warmed over food, the INTENSE noise in the main part of the restaurant, so loud at times you can't hear across your table.

The Retreat lounge is not inviting at all.  Never greeted by staff, rarely had bar service because it was understaffed with the bartender frequently the only server in site.  

The rooms themselves are built with composite, think LVT flooring, we love the real wood accents of both M & S class.  

Kelly Hoppen, the interior "designer" and I use that term very lightly furnished the rooms with uncomfortable seating, especially on balconies and now I am reading they are using those same designs on M & S class as they supposedly "upgrade"  those areas.  

OH well, I know many disagree with me but that's fine, we all have choices, and ours is to not book E class again.

I do agree with all your points. I did like the The Retreat Pool Bar. As to the Retreat Lounge. I found the lack of armrest to be a problem. It is not that I need the armrest to get out of the chair. I like to hold my glass of wine in my hand resting my arm on the armrest and not have reach out to a table. The lack of a desk for the Retreat Concierge I saw as a big problem.

We were on Millie post X Revolution. I did feel that X did a better job retrofitting. The OVC is more like the S Class ships. We are on Apex in 7 days. Friends picked Apex out of Southampton for Iceland. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

The layout of the e class ships is often difficult….dead end hallways, steps to access some areas, that horrible dark spooky space that is REALLY difficult if you have poor eyesight, the cavernous Club area….and worst of all the lack of any forward facing lounge or viewing area

My feelings exactly.  Add that it's often very, very noisy and seems more crowded than M or S, and the theater is not big enough to handle the crowds.  Then there's the infinite balconies which some love but I hate - I will only book a suite on E if I can afford one.  I will give them the edge on Retreat areas, although there is just not enough shade on the decks and the chair hogs are always out in full force.  

To the OP - I love both S and M class.  There are things I love about each in particular.  On M I love Rendezvous Lounge.  Ensemble on S is very nice, but too small for the size of the ship.  I also like how S and M class have Luminae next to Blu and/or the main dining room depending on the class.  I like that S class has more variety of specialty restaurants, which matters most to me if I am doing a longer cruise or a B2B.  I love the atrium on S class, and it is so nice to actually have a library, even if they are not all that great compared to how they were in the good ole days.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

What is your favourite S class?

My favorite is Equinox - although I confess that is partly because of some of the great staff I have made friends with as I have sailed that one the most often I think.  My least favorite is Reflection as it has more cabins so is a bit more crowded.  But even as least favorite of the group, it is still a great ship, which I will be on for a B2B in November.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Here are some photos from M Class Sky Suites. The lifeboats are not a problem for me.

Thanks for that @bigbenboys.  Still seems that you see equipment if you look down.  Compared to say deck 8 or 9 where you don’t notice them as much.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Where are the quiet spaces on Beyond?

I don’t do well with crowded, loud, and shouty.😩

The areas around the Sunset Bar are not terrible but some of those pods are for smokers.  We never really found a nice, quiet area to just hang out in.  Eden can be quiet during the day, unless they are rehearsing for a show but we found the seat really  uncomfortable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Somewhat depends on the type of cabin you book really.  What type did you book?

For suites, E-Class ships and the Retreat area and amenities are quite nice.  Real balcony too.  For M- and S-class suites, the refurbished Michael's Club not even close.

For non-suite balcony cabins, prefer S-Class by far.  E-Class has cabins with windows and not real balconies unless you can get a Sunset Veranda.  S-Class has more dining options and choices over M-Class.

Size of ship a factor?  M-Class is smaller (and oldest) but it is more intimate and can go on more itineraries (like Panama Canal full transit) if that is your driving factor.  Original E-Class (Edge and Apex) about the same size as S-Class but more passengers in that space.  Expanded E-Class (Beyond, Ascent) a bit larger in overall size.

We are in a balcony this time. Have done both inside and SV on E class and balcony on M. Never been in a suite unless you count an old Celebrity ship that didn’t even have balconies LOL. We loved E class but getting really excited to try S. Thanks for all the replies!

Thanks, everyone, for the great amount of well thought out answers. I’m getting excited for a Promenade deck again and for the lounge way up top (can’t remember the name.) I do love those but haven’t experienced them for a while. I’m a runner so I know I won’t like the running path so much but I’ll make due. At 9 nights this will be the longest cruise we’ve ever taken. (I know! We don’t have that much vacation time at this time in our lives.) I did love Ascent and Apex keep for reminding me why a more classic ship can be appealing.

We like the M class for the size and fewer decks and the rendezvous lounge for dancing., we like the S class because of the greater choice in Restaurants and we would go back to the Edge class only if there was an appealing price.  The drawbacks of Edge Class have already been mentioned.  Edge class ships are stunning visually but the layout is unappealing. 

However we pick the ship with the longest itineraries sailing from North America.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

E class is for the teenagers as it is crowded and loud and shouty.

S and M are more relaxing and refined …

We sailed the Edge in April and saw very few teenagers and if there was anything loud and shouty it was fellow passengers, not the ship. And have seen a number of those kinds of passengers on the Equinox when we’ve sailed on her.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

E class is for the teenagers as it is crowded and loud and shouty.

S and M are more relaxing and refined …

My Wife and I are 59 and 60..we sail regularly with another couple 12 years or so older than us on Celebrity..we always book E Class when we can..so your generalizations are just that.  I find nothing loud and shouty about the Sunset Bar, or the plunge pools for that matter..the Coffee Bar is usually pretty chill too..the Retreat on E Class is on another dimension, albeit pricy. I wouldn’t spring for it on S Class..I like Aqua on that class just fine, if not a regularly balcony. 

I did get a chuckle out of the “spooky” area comment leading to Eden..not made by you..elsewhere in this thread. 

Are they going for a younger demo on E Class? They would  be wise to, IMHO

Edited by PTC DAWG

PTCDawg, I did not mention that spooky walk in my comments but after one trip through it I found a way to avoid if I wanted to get to Eden.  It wasn't so much creepy as it was uncomfortable for me walking out of bright light into something very dark.  Honestly, I worried about tripping on what I could not see.   I guess that is why they make chocolate and another flavor....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

PTCDawg, I did not mention that spooky walk in my comments but after one trip through it I found a way to avoid if I wanted to get to Eden.  It wasn't so much creepy as it was uncomfortable for me walking out of bright light into something very dark.  Honestly, I worried about tripping on what I could not see.   I guess that is why they make chocolate and another flavor....

I am a big fan of E class because of entertainment and outdoor/indoor suite retreat . But area where you enter Eden is just weird , could have used this space in other ways . 

8 minutes ago, George C said:

I am a big fan of E class because of entertainment and outdoor/indoor suite retreat . But area where you enter Eden is just weird , could have used this space in other ways . 

I suppose I like weird sometimes, like you are entering another dimension..a special area, I enjoy a drink or three back there during the day when I’m tired of the Sunset Bar..

It does get people talking, that’s for sure. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Are they going for a younger demo on E Class? They would  be wise to, IMHO

Someday, perhaps.  My generation (boomer) still holds 3/4 of the nation's wealth, and until we kick the bucket, the tax man goes nuts, or we gift it all to ours kids and charities...

Posted (edited)

For me, E class and IV.  I wish there was a better mix of traditional and IV.  There isn't and thus, I lean towards S class

M class ships I have sailed have had multiple dry docks where they have eliminated pubic spaces for the addition of more cabins.  

S class ships I have sailed have a great martini bar and traditional cabins.

Will I sail E class or M class again.  Who knows, but I will for sure look to sail on S class ships first and I hate to say it, but even other  cruise lines before booking E and M class ships.  I like  Celebrities product overall absent what  I mention here. There are some other areas I could addd, but then I can if I try, find issues on S class.  Don't want to find them and then be in a pickle🥒

Edited by shipshape sam
  • Like 1

I agree completely with the comments of “cruisestich” and the

many others who are critical of the design of the Edge Class

ships. S and M class ships are more open to the wonderful

outside world. E class do seem to be very inward looking. I

would, however, avoid Infinity and Constellation which have

not been refurbished.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 2:17 AM, ladylemondrop said:

Hi, S vs M - I love the size of S class, it has more restaurants and bars than M. Feels newer.
S vs E - Proper balconies on S, vs slide down window on E. 

S class also has shaded cabana seating by the pool which I need. 
Silhouette and Reflection are my favourite two ships. I am about to try Apex next so we will see! 

I prefer S class.  It has actual balconies.  Edge and Apex has no World Class Bar so I won’t sail them again and Beyond and Ascent while nice is also dark (less windows) and way too much gray and chrome.   I will add the Ascent has two of the best Captains at sea,  captain Tasos and Dimitrios!

Edited by riredsox
  • Like 2