Fire On The Icon

ReneeFLL

It was reported on another social media site that a serious fire broke out in the engine room. It’s docked at Costa Maya. The person said they would update when they got more info. Anyone know anything?

Edited by ReneeFLL

26 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Doesn't sound like it was truly a serious fire.  Just a fire taken seriously.

Social media reports guests were allowed to return to the ship after a brief pause.

I wondered how serious the fire was because some people make things out bigger than they are. Fires are always a serious issue, but not always serious. Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

Perhaps a faulty sensor that was appropriately assumed to be the real thing?  

If it was a significant event there would be more participation from authorities and classification society that might have delayed her.

Seeing Icon underway on time hopefully indicates a minor event with no impact to life.

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Doesn't sound like it was truly a serious fire.  Just a fire taken seriously.

Social media reports guests were allowed to return to the ship after a brief pause.

I have a friend onboard, and texted me when it happened  Definitely an incident taken seriously, but handled and Icon departed on time for Cozumel.  Last I heard (probably asleep by now) there was no other mention of what happened.  If I hear anything else, I'll post it.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

If it was a significant event there would be more participation from authorities and classification society that might have delayed her.

Not necessarily.  Each nation has different laws about what needs to be reported by a foreign ship, with different reporting thresholds.  Also, even a something like a fuel line fire on an engine would only be reported to class as a notification, and unless there was serious dollar value to the damage would a surveyor need to come to the ship to look.  Even if it were a high dollar fire, if it did not affect the seaworthiness of the ship, it could proceed to the next port where a surveyor could inspect then.  Been on ships several times with fires onboard that did not require either reporting to local authorities or class, or that did not result in delays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Guess who is having a USCG inspection in Miami this weekend?

Royal Caribbean International

YOUR BOARDING DAY IN MIAMI
Royal Caribbean International

Dear Guest,

We're looking forward to welcoming you onboard! Before you make your way to Terminal A, we have information to share.

As a standard procedure, prior to boarding, Icon of the Seas will conduct its annual United States Coast Guard inspection. Please note, the terminal will not be open for embarking guests during this time. As a result, we will experience some boarding delays. We kindly ask that you please stick to your selected arrival window. Arriving earlier than your original time will result in us having to turn you away until we complete this process. All guests should be checked in and onboard by 4:30 PM. Please arrive no later than 4:00 PM.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Has it had an inspection since it began service? Likely nothing to read into.

I would have thought it would have had some kind of inspection on its introduction to the US.  That was Nov. last year if I remember right.  This does seem a little early but, as you say, maybe nothing to read into it.

Just now, Tree_skier said:

I would have thought it would have had some kind of inspection on its introduction to the US.  That was Nov. last year if I remember right.  This does seem a little early but, as you say, maybe nothing to read into it.

I'm sure it was inspected upon arrival. But that would be like inspecting a new car.  Now that it's had some miles put on it with all the systems getting worked 24/7, maybe it's time to do another one.

• Like 1