Ship sold out- should we do move up offer?

catspaw1

Hi all, we are sailing on the Eclipse in 12 days out of NJ to Bermuda. All Bermuda cruuses are sold out. Yet today I saw in my trip planner move up offers to sunset veranda, concierge class or ultra deluxe veranda (what's that?). We are in a partial obstructed cabin port side about 15 cabins from rear of ship.  Should we do a move up? Prices are $100 for each & I wouldn't bid that much. Thanks everyone!

Nothing to lose in trying. Of the cabins that you mentioned the Sunset Cabins would be my go to. Very quite in the back with great, and relaxing, views of the wake. $100 p/p for a 12-day cruise would be a steal IMO. (I do not remember what an "ultra deluxe veranda" cabin is. (Better location, larger veranda, would be my two guesses). Look at a deck plan and find an Ultra deluxe, hopefully a picture/drawing is worth a 1,000 words.

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

The cruise is only 7 days & not 12 so it would cost a minimum of $30 for both to do the move up. Definitely worth it. I'm not bidding a lot though.

I guess the art is only to bid what you are comfortable with…

To quote a friend of mine. “Before I put a bid in I think what else I could use the money for on board…” (speciality dining, excursions, drinks package upgrade…)

6 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Hi all, we are sailing on the Eclipse in 12 days out of NJ to Bermuda. All Bermuda cruuses are sold out. Yet today I saw in my trip planner move up offers to sunset veranda, concierge class or ultra deluxe veranda (what's that?). We are in a partial obstructed cabin port side about 15 cabins from rear of ship.  Should we do a move up? Prices are $100 for each & I wouldn't bid that much. Thanks everyone!

Ultra Deluxe Veranda (UV) were formerly categorized as Family Cabins when Eclipse and her sisters ships first came out.  It is very spacious and furnished to sleep up to 5 people.  The UV cabin comes with a separate master bedroom and a 2nd bedroom (with 2 bunk beds)--but only one bathroom and it is the standard bathroom that you find in all non-suite cabins.  There are a total of four of these cabins on Eclipse--two on Deck 7 and two on Deck 8.  The cabins are all the way forward at the starboard and port corners.

Here is a floor plan and photos for one that we stayed in on Reflection which has the same cabin size and room layout but has more furniture than Eclipse:

image.thumb.png.4f1eaf9fc042b688bb3980378aed5125.png

image.thumb.jpeg.54210491b9198a32b986db715d37634a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.acb28a4d1c770336441e8c409ddb8a7b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.43092a433ea269fd72127976ec15d49a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was great. You are always helping me out- like you did for the Flora. Forward cabins can have a lot of motion to them. Did you like the room? We would bid low so doubt we would get it. The pics I saw on the Eclipse showed a small balcony. Would you recommend it? Lots of motion? Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

That was great. You are always helping me out- like you did for the Flora. Forward cabins can have a lot of motion to them. Did you like the room? We would bid low so doubt we would get it. The pics I saw on the Eclipse showed a small balcony. Would you recommend it? Lots of motion? Thanks for your help!

Again, you are very welcome and I am glad you were able to get a cabin on Flora. 

Before COVID our two kids cruised with us--14 times--and always in one cabin, so yes, we loved the UV for the extra space.  Because they are forward cabins, there is more motion--nothing bad.  There is also more noise when the ship is dropping anchor.  But their forward position also meant that these cabins had two large windows looking out over the ship's bow in addition to the balcony located on either the port or starboard side of the ship.

To me the biggest drawback with a MoveUp bid for one of these cabins is that you don't know if you are going to get a UV cabin on Deck 7 or 8 because there is a difference.  Deck 7 UVs are a little smaller on the inside compared to Deck 8 (not a big deal) and have a smaller balcony (big deal).  The first photo below shows the Eclipse UV balcony for Deck 7 (blue) and Deck 8 (red).  You can immediately see the balcony size difference.  The Deck 8 UV balcony is actually larger than a standard balcony on the side of the ship which is also apparent in the photo.

image.thumb.png.7fe3cb4d703cf15ecc0dcdc4859c9e53.png

image.thumb.jpeg.717932e495dc62b7091836710b636d60.jpeg

Eclipse anchored at St. Thomas on Jan 8, 2014.

Edited by mahdnc

I did submit a low bid but doubt we will get it. Thanks Manhdnc for explaining the difference between the two decks! Yes if it had not been for your alerting me that the Xploration was sold, we would not have been able to switch to the Flora. Thank goodness we had a TA& they did it quickly but others could not book the cheapest suites as they booked fast. So I am forever grateful for your help! We choose to go on more vacations each year so get the more inexpensive OV. This time we have the slightly obstructed balcony. Next week will be our third trip this year & we are planning a few other trips. Next year it's the Galapagos  & a 3 week trip to AK. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

I did submit a low bid but doubt we will get it. Thanks Manhdnc for explaining the difference between the two decks! Yes if it had not been for your alerting me that the Xploration was sold, we would not have been able to switch to the Flora. Thank goodness we had a TA& they did it quickly but others could not book the cheapest suites as they booked fast. So I am forever grateful for your help! We choose to go on more vacations each year so get the more inexpensive OV. This time we have the slightly obstructed balcony. Next week will be our third trip this year & we are planning a few other trips. Next year it's the Galapagos  & a 3 week trip to AK. 

The number and variety of your vacations are amazing.

My husband is not thrilled with cruises, so this is our first in a while. We are very independent travelers & lived abroad for 7 years. We just came back from 17 nights in CO, WY & SD. Loved the badlands. We have always been huge travelers. Next year more of Europe or back to Asia in between other trips already booked! We are spending all of our retirement money while we can still travel! Gotta do it now! Thanks again for all your help!

• Like 1