Refreshment package.... what to do???

Riemercruisin

I know, I know, I know..... This has been asked MANY times. But I'm an overplanner suffering from severe FOMO.

We (2) are in a Jr Sky Suite on the Icon. Not really alcohol drinkers, but considering the resfreshment package (only to avoid worrying about a beverage budget).

There is a coffee maker in the stateroom (so not really a need for specialty coffees), there is no Johnny Rockets on the Icon, so no shakes. We can order water for in-cabin consumption and board with a 12-pack of something.

Should we splurge $430 just for fresh juices, soda and sparkling water? WWYD?

Personally, that would be a hard no. Since the Sky Junior Suites have access to the suite lounge, you can also get canned sodas and other drinks there, which you can take back to your cabin if you wish. If you purchase the occasional juice, mocktail etc. à la carte, you're sure to come in well below $430.

• Like 3

Perhaps the refreshment package a better choice for you.  You can get bottled water, mocktails, soda and good coffees.  Also IMO if you have many shore days, you will not drink as much on those days.  

We are Diamond plus members now and no longer consider any drink package- also we are in a suite.

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Perhaps the refreshment package a better choice for you.  You can get bottled water, mocktails, soda and good coffees.  Also IMO if you have many shore days, you will not drink as much on those days.  

We are Diamond plus members now and no longer consider any drink package- also we are in a suite.

That was the OP's question.

13 hours ago, Riemercruisin said:

There is a coffee maker in the stateroom (so not really a need for specialty coffees)

This doesn't answer your question but, FYI, the SL coffee machine also has actual espresso drinks like cappuccinos, lattes, etc.

13 hours ago, Riemercruisin said:

We can order water for in-cabin consumption and board with a 12-pack of something.

You should be able to get as much bottled water from the SL from 11-11 (that's how it is on Oasis class so I'm assuming Icon is the same way). Soda is the same thing.

In my mind you'd have to drink enough mocktails, fresh squeezed juice, and whatever else to make it worth it. Only you can tell us if you would.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2

I guess it all depends on how much you’re planning on drinking. I usually don’t get the refresher package, as the free stuff works for us. We’re doing Utopia this summer and since it’s a shorter cruise, we decided to try it out since the total cost won’t be a lot. Plus we’re doing a stop at Coco Cay, so that factored in my decision as well. This will be a good barometer to see how many things I really drink when it’s prepaid. 

The ICON (don't even get me started on this after 2 weeks on her).

There are MANY opportunities to spend extra $ for drinks that exceed drink package limits (example 2 "adult" milk shakes for $40ish) and they are marketed heavily in the various venues.

If I ever sailed her again (it would be against my will) I would buy the Deluxe Package even though I have the daily drinks... 

I get it because I also enjoy the mocktails.  Also, if you use their cups at the drink machines, you can get flavored waters or flavored teas if you don't want a soda.  You can grab bottles of water or gatorade/powerade (I can't remember which they have) as you head off ship. So, for me, it is completely worth it.

17 hours ago, Riemercruisin said:

I know, I know, I know..... This has been asked MANY times. But I'm an overplanner suffering from severe FOMO.

We (2) are in a Jr Sky Suite on the Icon. Not really alcohol drinkers, but considering the resfreshment package (only to avoid worrying about a beverage budget).

There is a coffee maker in the stateroom (so not really a need for specialty coffees), there is no Johnny Rockets on the Icon, so no shakes. We can order water for in-cabin consumption and board with a 12-pack of something.

Should we splurge $430 just for fresh juices, soda and sparkling water? WWYD?

15 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Personally, that would be a hard no. Since the Sky Junior Suites have access to the suite lounge, you can also get canned sodas and other drinks there, which you can take back to your cabin if you wish. If you purchase the occasional juice, mocktail etc. à la carte, you're sure to come in well below $430.

Based on the described expected use I'd say it's a hard no from me too.  Pay as you go and you will likely come out ahead.

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Stop padding RCI's wallet - your cruise fare was plenty.

I don't mind, all the extra stuff everyone buys on Cruises and Airlines help keep my base price down. Only thing I pay for on either these is an Exit window seat, otherwise no drink package, no shore excursions, no Specialty Rest. 

• Like 2

I get the refreshment package and my husband gets the soda package. We both like soda/pop - with meals - in addition to water. I’d also get bottled water to put in the fridge from bars as I’d walk by. So, we always had water. In addition, I’d pay for alcoholic fruity drinks as desired, but found that for the amount of alcohol they actually put in them, I might as well have the non-alcoholic version - which was included in my package. 

The combination (refreshment/soda) was worth it for us for the amount that we had each day. 

The mocktails are very high in sugar. How many of those would you want to consume every day? I would agree with the poster above me though who said there's no reason to get the alcohol package if you are just doing the sugary cocktails. They just make those very, very weak, to the point I question if there really is alcohol in them. You can bring on a 12 pack of soda, or in your case access it from the suite lounge. I'd pay by the drink but if you really love the mocktails then go for it.

I've gotten the refreshment package my last 3 or 4 cruises. I don't think I get my moneys worth out of it, but I also don't think too much about spending $200, so I don't feel like it's "wasted."  There's a lot of drinks I try just for fun just because I've pre-paid for them, and I'm one of those people who thinks being able to order as much or as little as you want without thinking about price has some value to it, so I'm willing to overpay for the drink package up to a certain point.

That being said, I generally get tired of trying sugary drinks after day 3 or 4, so if the price of the package keeps going up, I'll probably stop buying it. When it was $19/day it was worth it, at $23/day I don't think I'm breaking even but it still has value to me. If it costs too much more than that, I won't buy it.

Every time I look at the prices of the various beverage packages, it starts to look as if might be worth the cost until I remember that we both have to buy it, and that it’s double the amount! 
Having worked in dentistry all my life, we only have juice once a day, diet soda once a day, and still tap water rather than fizzy, to avoid dissolving what’s left of our tooth enamel! I can only cope with one caffeinated coffee a day, ( and that has to be in the morning to allow me to sleep at night) OH doesn’t drink alcohol, and I tend to just have a glass of wine with dinner. We didn’t have access to any lounges, so planned to have our morning coffee at il Bacio, but there was so little seating, we only managed that twice in our 8 night cruise. I took one bottle of wine on board with me, and a six pack of caffeine free diet soda, and our final bill on board was just over $20.

We had a drinks package included in one cruise, so we went to town on cocktails for the first few days, but by the end of the week, we were drinking less and less, as it just didn’t appeal any more. I suppose it depends on your drinking habits at home, a big difference in a short space of time might give your body a bit of a shock to the system! 

1 hour ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Every time I look at the prices of the various beverage packages, it starts to look as if might be worth the cost until I remember that we both have to buy it, and that it’s double the amount! 

The only rule about both people buying a package applies to the alcohol package. So, just one person can get a refreshment (or soda) package. 

The answer to "should I get a package?" is simple... "it depends on how much and what you think you will drink".  It doesn't matter what ANYONE else does.