Classic drinks package

JoanneMark

We have the classic drinks package on our up and coming cruise.  It states you can order any drink up to and including 10 dollars.  Does anyone know if a drink is over 10 dollars can you just pay the difference?  The wheat beer my husband drinks is 11 dollars.  It's not worth up grading to the platinum package.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, JoanneMark said:

Any idea how much the gratuity is? Seems wrong as already paid in the package!

I agree. It's not like they are gong to gives us a credit for the difference in tip between a $4 bottle of water and a $10 glass of wine. It takes the same effort to serve a $10 drink as it does for a $15 drink. I would rather tip $5 if the bartender didn't up charge for the drink to begin with.

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree. It's not like they are gong to gives us a credit for the difference in tip between a $4 bottle of water and a $10 glass of wine. It takes the same effort to serve a $10 drink as it does for a $15 drink. I would rather tip $5 if the bartender didn't up charge for the drink to begin with.

So you would rather pay out $5 than $1.20?  Seems strange to me

48 minutes ago, keesar said:

On the example of a drink costing $10, you would pay an additional  $1  for the drink and a 20 cents gratuity,  Total cost. $1.20 to your account

The gratuity is 20%....so $2.40 extra on every $10 drink...or am I reading this wrong?

26 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

So you would rather pay out $5 than $1.20?  Seems strange to me

Yes because if the bartender comps me the extra $5 to up grade he/she should keep the money. Paying $1.20 just to pour liquor from a different bottle doesn't deserve an added gratuity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes because if the bartender comps me the extra $5 to up grade he/she should keep the money. Paying $1.20 just to pour liquor from a different bottle doesn't deserve an added gratuity.

I just do not understand the logic behind tipping additional on a drink when one has already paid 20% well in advance of said drink ever being served.

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The additional tip is for the exceptional service.  The bartenders get to know what you like and can make additional suggestions.  It is optional ...

I get it…sort of.  If I have already paid in advance though, a 20% tip on a $15 glass of wine, I had better be getting exceptional service.

Edited by Liao

20 hours ago, JoanneMark said:

Any idea how much the gratuity is? Seems wrong as already paid in the package!

One thing to consider/calculate is how many drinks you might purchase above the $10 limit.  Many here have been able to get a sale price to upgrade to premium (which also gets you other non alcoholic drink benefits — I’m sure someone will post the chart) which may be cheaper than the up charge.  I think I paid $6.99/day/pp to upgrade (or around that number.) 

I just spoke to them about the package on our two cruises next year. We would have to order 100 classes of wine in a two week cruise to break even.  And that is for the classic package which does not have good wine, Coca Cola products and name brand gin etc. it is a rip off.  We are moving to Oceania and Viking.  Many items are included win their fares including all soft drinks and a fully stocked mini bar with whatever you want. Water is included and 2 one liter jugs are provided in the room each day with refills anytime you want them and a carry around water bottle that you can keep.  Wi-Fi is free also. We loved Celebrity and are Elite Plus but they are nickel and dining us now and we don't like it.   

15 minutes ago, Liao said:

I get it…sort of.  If I have already paid in advance though, a 20% tip on a $15 glass of wine, I had better be getting exceptional service.

I would not find it applicable for wine.  The by the glass selection is so thin there are very few suggestions that they can make.  Now if they came up with an off menu wine that I really liked then perhaps so.

10 minutes ago, horseymike said:

This whole drink package thing is becoming more of a scam every day.

I would say so.  When you ignore the large cost and that you are not getting local wines from the destinations you are visiting,  then why?  I would much rather bring local wines on board and taste them. 

I can always go to NAPA and taste California wines,   but why have them when you are in Spain,  France,  or Italy?

I have never had Bulgarian wine before my last trip,  but I must admit it was rather nice.

Edited by NMTraveller

Forgive me for living in the past. I have a bad habit of doing that.

In the years prior to these drink packages , you could not walk 30 feet on any cruise ship without a beverage server asking you if you would like something to drink.

Now that many folks have chosen to pay for the drink package + gratuity in advance ( at prices that are far from discounted ) you have to line up , wait and hope you can be served in a reasonable amount of time.They already have your money ( and plenty of it ) so the reality is they are in no hurry for you to get your drink.

I would like to see folks stop buying these drink packages and go ala carte.

Maybe then the whole situation would be more enjoyable for the passengers , after all , they are paying for their cruise vacation and deserve maximum enjoyment for their cruise.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I was thinking of the purchase of each drink WITHOUT the package.  Should have read OP's note more carefully....mea culpa.

You STILL got the math wrong! Gratuity on $10.00 is $2.00, not $2.40! The only way you would pay $2.40 is if the drink was $12.00 and you were paying the difference over $10.00.