Parents can't make the cruise due to injury, any ways to reduce / minimize the loss?

22 hours ago, mauimary said:

What we did when this happened to our second room was we moved one person to the second room (person named in reservation) so one original occupied the room.  We brought on two more family members. Put one of them in room 2 with family member on the reservation and then put the other one in room one.  Once onboard we made the switch. Staff did not care who occupied the room. 

27 minutes ago, NHCRUISIN said:

The wife is now in the room and checks in.

May be I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the 2nd room is occupied by the parents [different names, even if the family name is the same as the OPs], so no "original" name will remain if they don't make the cruise

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

May be I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the 2nd room is occupied by the parents [different names, even if the family name is the same as the OPs], so no "original" name will remain if they don't make the cruise

I read this as the party the OP  reserved two rooms. If there is the same confirmation number for both why can’t you move one original into the second room that way an original is now occupying that room.  
We have booked two rooms the other for a family member who later cancelled out. Same booking number for both. Because it was too late I moved over on paper and we added two more non family members keeping one original in ea.  After we were onboard I moved back into the original room. The hardest part was keeping onboard expenses straight. We did not have a travel agent. 
Agree tricky situation.  Probably comes down to if you have two confirmation numbers vs one booking with two rooms. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mauimary said:

I read this as the party the OP  reserved two rooms. If there is the same confirmation number for both why can’t you move one original into the second room that way an original is now occupying that room.

NOW I understand your reasoning, thanks for explaining 👍

17 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Absolutely. I totally judged people who spend thousands of dollars but try to save a few bucks on insurance and then whine when things go wrong. Never paid more than $80 bucks per person for trip coverage. Worth it's weight in gold.  Unapologetic total judgement. Also unapologetic compleat curiosity. 

I get when folks are worried so that it might be prudent to buy trip insurance. For most, I guess it's mainly a psychological boost knowing spending $X.00 potentially protects them from losing $Y.00.  As folks age, I definitely can see that having both more of a psychological boost, but also as a pragmatic hedge on their own health and circumstances.  

I'm about 30 years into traveling without any trip insurance. I can see though, that my NEXT 30 years of traveling will be increasingly "risky" as my wife and I age (and the loved ones in our lives).  

Up to $160/couple adds up to a lot of trips in the past for us.  What's your "claim" of coverage benefits track record?  Do you regularly run up against problems that force you to cancel or highly modify a trip?  Or did one big claim make all the non-claims "worth it"?

OK, I am back.

First of all, thank you all for contributing to the discussion. I sure appreciate all your comments.

Here is what I got: I talked to my TA, and he was able to help me to swap my name with my dad's name.

Original reservation:

Room 1: My dad / my mom

Room 2: Me / Wife / kid #1 / kid #2

Updated reservation:

Room 1: Me / my mom

Room 2: My dad / Wife / kid #1 / kid #2

HOWEVER, there was a gotcha. During the process, I don't know what happened, ALL 7 excursions / amenities booked were cancelled. I just spent over an hour on the phone with Celebrity customer service to get those all booked back. Most of the items were booked during Black Friday sale so he needed to do price adjustment on all of them. Eventually I was able to add everything back, luckily they are still available.

My shareholder credit was also gone as part of the process, which I will need to submit again and see how it goes.

All in all, this is what I asked for (did not ask for refund), and this is what I got.

Again, really appreciate everyone's help.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, mauimary said:

We have booked two rooms the other for a family member who later cancelled out. Same booking number for both. Because it was too late I moved over on paper and we added two more non family members keeping one original in ea.  After we were onboard I moved back into the original room. The hardest part was keeping onboard expenses straight. We did not have a travel agent. 
Agree tricky situation.  Probably comes down to if you have two confirmation numbers vs one booking with two rooms. 

I am not sure how Celebrity works, but for the two rooms, I got two different reservation number.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I get when folks are worried so that it might be prudent to buy trip insurance. For most, I guess it's mainly a psychological boost knowing spending $X.00 potentially protects them from losing $Y.00.  As folks age, I definitely can see that having both more of a psychological boost, but also as a pragmatic hedge on their own health and circumstances.  

I'm about 30 years into traveling without any trip insurance. I can see though, that my NEXT 30 years of traveling will be increasingly "risky" as my wife and I age (and the loved ones in our lives).  

Up to $160/couple adds up to a lot of trips in the past for us.  What's your "claim" of coverage benefits track record?  Do you regularly run up against problems that force you to cancel or highly modify a trip?  Or did one big claim make all the non-claims "worth it"?

We've used it at least twice past final payment date due to pre cruise med emergency.. Smaller cruise costs to the Carib..fully covered, and a big trip overseas.. all covered but certain airline fees..

US Medicare does not cover med care out of US..neither does our secondary,  so  cruise ins for us is a MUST. 

Someone we know had a brain incident  on a SA Cruise. They flew her home to US Hosp.   A neighbor in Fla  fell in Greece..Her ins covered 2 full hip replacements in Athens, and return  to Fl with assusrance of a travel nurse!

OP had reason to not buy ins so issue here is if cruise line will help them in any way or if there's any way to avoid losing full costs

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rodndonna said:

The OP is not whining... he/she is doing the logical next step and looking at options to minimize loss.

Next step. Time machine, buy insurance.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mkkao924 said:

OK, I am back.

First of all, thank you all for contributing to the discussion. I sure appreciate all your comments.

Here is what I got: I talked to my TA, and he was able to help me to swap my name with my dad's name.

Original reservation:

Updated reservation:

HOWEVER, there was a gotcha. During the process, I don't know what happened, ALL 7 excursions / amenities booked were cancelled. I just spent over an hour on the phone with Celebrity customer service to get those all booked back. Most of the items were booked during Black Friday sale so he needed to do price adjustment on all of them. Eventually I was able to add everything back, luckily they are still available.

My shareholder credit was also gone as part of the process, which I will need to submit again and see how it goes.

All in all, this is what I asked for (did not ask for refund), and this is what I got.

So happy it worked out for you!!! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Car insurance, health insurance, home insurance, etc. Anyone who doesn't pay for insurance based on probability of claim vs cost is a fool. We all loose thousands per year on insurance premiums, that's the price we pay to protect against the "what ifs". It's called life. I've never had a car stolen. I've never been robbed. Never had my place go on fire. Yet, I've spent over One Hundred Thousand in my lifetime on coverage for it. Again, that's how life works. Maybe buy travel insurance but remove the automatic gratuities. Or don't drink any alcohol. If you can find the cash for that, then a basic insurance package is no big deal. It's just part of life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mkkao924 said:

OK, I am back.

Original reservation:

Updated reservation:

I haven’t joined in the discussion as I haven’t had anything useful to add but so pleased it has worked out for you. Sincere best wishes to your whole family!

• Like 6

This is kind of how I look at it.  I’ve always bought trip insurance when the amount I’d lose makes me want to vomit as opposed just feeling nauseous.  For example, 4 night cruise in April for 3 of us in a balcony was $1300, flights are points, so I’m really out $1300 if something goes wrong past final payment.  I didn’t even price trip insurance but I’m averaging close to 10% give or take of trip cost (I do tend to go all in and do cancel for any reason because I figure if I’m spending the $ I want as few barriers to being paid out as possible — never had to do it so no clue if it works in practice.) For Alaska and Galapagos so did purchase trip insurance due to the overall cost.  In general I’m an insurance happy person — pet insurance, supplemental hospital, critical illness, etc. That being said, when the trio insurance is more than some of the others it does make me pause that coverage for the one week is $x.

• Like 3

I almost feel like quoting Clint as in ‘Do you feel lucky?’

Amongst my friends I have had a work colleague in their 30’s suddenly collapse and need immediate treatment for a brain tumour whilst touring the USA and a friend having a heart attack whilst hiking in Spain (40’s, very fit)…Needless to say if either had not had insurance they would have seriously struggled to pay the medical and repatriation costs…

I don’t begrudge a penny I have paid in insurance over the years (well perhaps I do I am sure they could reduce their costs a bit!). However, quite simply I wouldn’t relax on a holiday if I didn’t have it…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

Anyone who doesn't pay for insurance based on probability of claim vs cost is a fool.

I've never had a car stolen. I've never been robbed. Never had my place go on fire. Yet, I've spent over One Hundred Thousand in my lifetime on coverage for it. 

It is, in many folks cases, an ability to "self insure".  A hundred grand would've bought YOU and not your insurance agent a LOT of stuff. 🙂

Like I wrote, though, if it's about peace of mind (not a requirement for a car registration, a mortgage, or similar), that's well and good and you're buying something that makes you feel better.  If it's actually based on "probability", that's great for sharing here, so others can use them for their decisions.  

IOW - if there is a 1 in 100 chance you're not gonna get to take a cruise dues to a claimable reason, that's good to know. If there is a 1 in 10 chance, then that's REALLY good to know. If it's 1 in 1,000 or 1 in 10,000?  Well, darn, that's a good reason to be like the OP and just figure out a way to make it work.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Traveling with kids could be an issue to as they get sick a lot. I always purchased insurance when traveling even when we were in our 40’s. Kids were always free. Now I find it’s cheaper to just add insurance's through the cruise line than booking the cruise with a refundable deposit. Chances are if something is to go wrong it will be after final payment.

Edited by Iamcruzin

On 7/9/2024 at 8:55 PM, Tom and Ingrid said:

we would never travel without Insurance. Your maths and the premiums your suggested you have saved seems very odd/high to me. 

I know insurance is different in the UK but we have an Annual policy that allows us an unlimited number of trips per year worldwide up to 31 days each trip (small supplement for longer trips). The policy covers the two of us for cancellation, medical (Including an an extra premium for pre existing conditions), baggage and a few other bits and pieces.

We have had the policy for 17 years and the costs/ claims are as follows:

Figures converted from £'s to $ for convenience

Total premiums: $5285

Total claims: $29650

Biggest single claim: $20,000 - this claim covered 2 nights in hospital for both of us with food poisoning in LA, meds, new flights LA to Auckland, 1 extra night hotel. The hospital was the Marina Del Rae (now closed).

The incident happened on Day 2 of a 90 day trip (including 60 days - 5 B 2B -  on Solstice from Auckland to Seattle) to celebrate our retirement. Yes we completed the trip 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

we would never travel without Insurance. Your maths and the premiums your suggested you have saved seems very odd/high to me. 

I know insurance is different in the UK but we have an Annual policy that allows us an unlimited number of trips per year worldwide up to 31 days each trip (small supplement for longer trips). The policy covers the two of us for cancellation, medical (Including an an extra premium for pre existing conditions), baggage and a few other bits and pieces.

We have had the policy for 17 years and the costs/ claims are as follows:

Figures converted from £'s to $ for convenience

Total premiums: $5285

Total claims: $29650

Biggest single claim: $20,000 - this claim covered 2 nights in hospital for both of us with food poisoning in LA, meds, new flights LA to Auckland, 1 extra night hotel. The hospital was the Marina Del Rae (now closed).

The incident happened on Day 2 of a 90 day trip (including 60 days - 5 B 2B -  on Solstice from Auckland to Seattle) to celebrate our retirement. Yes we completed the trip 

Oh jeez.  That’s definitely worth the insurance. The other challenge in the US is that it’s not always easy to collect the $ from a claim.  

I book my trips with a credit card that covers travel issues. This does not cover medical so have a paid annual policy for that.   Did have to make a claim when had to cancel a week prior to sailing.  Recovered all funds.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

I book my trips with a credit card that covers travel issues. This does not cover medical so have a paid annual policy for that.   Did have to make a claim when had to cancel a week prior to sailing.  Recovered all funds.  

I always use a travel credit card (southwest usually) and should probably look into what is covered.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

One of my cards lists their benefits, and where you see the biggest gap is the "Emergency medical" vs a full travel ins policy.  Otherwise, fairly similar and thepointsguy website does a good cost rundown for full policies:

Trip delay insurance: Up to $500 per ticket when you're delayed by six-plus hours or overnight.

Baggage delay insurance: Up to $100 per day for up to five days when your baggage is delayed by six-plus hours.

Trip cancellation/ interruption insurance: Up to $10,000 per person, up to $20,000 per trip

Auto rental collision damage waiver: Primary insurance up to $75,000 for theft and collision damage.

Emergency medical and dental benefit: Up to $2,500 for emergency medical expenses, subject to a $50 deductible. Up to $75 per day for up to five days for a hotel room after a hospital stay.

Emergency evacuation insurance: Up to $100,000 when you pay for at least part of your common carrier travel with the card. Evacuation must be preapproved by the benefit administrator in order to be covered.

Lost luggage reimbursement: Up to $3,000 per person, with a $500 cap on jewelry and watches and a $500 cap on cameras and other electronic equipment.

Roadside assistance: Up to $50 per service event, up to four times per year.

Travel accident insurance: Up to $1 million loss of life common carrier insurance per person. Up to $100,000 loss of life travel accident insurance per person.

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

4 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

One of my cards lists their benefits, and where you see the biggest gap is the "Emergency medical" vs a full travel ins policy.  Otherwise, fairly similar and thepointsguy website does a good cost rundown for full policies:

Trip delay insurance: Up to $500 per ticket when you're delayed by six-plus hours or overnight.

Baggage delay insurance: Up to $100 per day for up to five days when your baggage is delayed by six-plus hours.

Trip cancellation/ interruption insurance: Up to $10,000 per person, up to $20,000 per trip

Auto rental collision damage waiver: Primary insurance up to $75,000 for theft and collision damage.

Emergency medical and dental benefit: Up to $2,500 for emergency medical expenses, subject to a $50 deductible. Up to $75 per day for up to five days for a hotel room after a hospital stay.

Emergency evacuation insurance: Up to $100,000 when you pay for at least part of your common carrier travel with the card. Evacuation must be preapproved by the benefit administrator in order to be covered.

Lost luggage reimbursement: Up to $3,000 per person, with a $500 cap on jewelry and watches and a $500 cap on cameras and other electronic equipment.

Roadside assistance: Up to $50 per service event, up to four times per year.

Travel accident insurance: Up to $1 million loss of life common carrier insurance per person. Up to $100,000 loss of life travel accident insurance per person.

Great benefits.  What card is that?

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2024 at 3:02 PM, mkkao924 said:

I am not sure how Celebrity works, but for the two rooms, I got two different reservation number.

Right?! We always get different reservation numbers as well, so that was confusing to me……glad you got it worked out.

Edited by Purplsmurf