Balcony room for 3 on Oasis class ships

We are beginning to plan a cruise with our adult son.

He's a big fellow, 6'2 320.

Would the sofa bed accommodate someone his size?

What is the actual size of the sofa bed?

Are they at all comfortable?

1 hour ago, RWMike said:

Very doubtful. 

I don't know. 

Not really. 

12 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We're on Harmony next week.  DS is 6'0, but only 150.  I'll see if I can get a pic.

That would be great.

I'm thinking maybe some type of mattress topper would help.

13 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think all three of you would be much happier in two cabins where everyone has their own bed. 

Our wallets wouldn't be though.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Our wallets wouldn't be though.

I can understand that issue. Several years ago we stayed in a balcony cabin with our daughter who is 4’11”. She said the couch was very uncomfortable, which I completely agreed with since I ended up sleeping on it 3 out of 7 nights so she could sleep in the bed. Additionally, the cabin felt very crowded the entire week. That was the first and last time I will ever stay in a cabin with more than two people. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I can understand that issue. Several years ago we stayed in a balcony cabin with our daughter who is 4’11”. She said the couch was very uncomfortable, which I completely agreed with since I ended up sleeping on it 3 out of 7 nights so she could sleep in the bed. Additionally, the cabin felt very crowded the entire week. That was the first and last time I will ever stay in a cabin with more than two people. 

There's a lot of factors that go into it though.  Our first family cruise, DW and I were in one room, three kids in connecting room.  

Next cruise, group of 6.  Two rooms of three.

This cruise, group of 8.  Two rooms with three, one of two.  Adding to the circumstances for this one, didn't want DS and GF to share a room by themselves.  Maybe next time.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, RWMike said:

No, it wasnt comfortable or long enough for our son who is 5 foot 9..

Edited by Crazy planning mom
  • Like 1

I can say without any doubt that your son, even with a mattress topper, would be very uncomfortable on the pull out. If you need to stay in one room, consider splitting the beds in two, and the parents alternate sleeping on the sofa. 

• Like 3

Maybe you can get a balcony cabin and an inside cabin across the hall for your adult son, which would give you a 2nd bathroom. Or maybe he could invite a friend to share the cabin to cut expenses.

If not that, @MommaBear55 above has a good alternative of splitting the beds in the bedroom and alternating sleeping on that hard couch (I also have heard they are very uncomfortable). Nonetheless, whatever you decide, hope you have a wonderful cruise vacation! Cheers!

Posted (edited)

Another option would be to get a Junior Suite for the 3 of you, which is a bit larger than a standard balcony with a nice big shower and a bathtub. Also, if you stay in a Jr suite, you will have dinner access to the specialty restaurant for suites, Coastal Kitchen (reservations needed), as well as 2x/day room cleaning. Again, good luck in your planning!

https://www.google.com/search?q=oasis+of+the+seas+cabin+for+3+people&oq=oasis+of+the+seas+cabin+for+3+people&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCjI0OTM3ajBqMTWoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:9970baa7,vid:AX8nXvliSOw,st:0

Or, here is a "spacious" ocean view balcony (a bit cheaper than JS):

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=1de0a4ee025c56b1&sca_upv=1&tbm=vid&sxsrf=ADLYWIJiOBsb4sp7vWJidy721VP-jGLVMg:1720548709644&q=oasis+of+the+seas+cabin+for+3+people&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwihwqC1x5qHAxXrC3kGHaSCB9IQ8ccDegQIBBAH&biw=1366&bih=566&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:78198dba,vid:ZrjmxMJJMR8,st:0

Edited by SilkySal
add

48 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Another option would be to get a Junior Suite for the 3 of you, which is a bit larger than a standard balcony with a nice big shower and a bathtub. Also, if you stay in a Jr suite, you will have dinner access to the specialty restaurant for suites, Coastal Kitchen (reservations needed), as well as 2x/day room cleaning. Again, good luck in your planning!

https://www.google.com/search?q=oasis+of+the+seas+cabin+for+3+people&oq=oasis+of+the+seas+cabin+for+3+people&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCjI0OTM3ajBqMTWoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:9970baa7,vid:AX8nXvliSOw,st:0

Or, here is a "spacious" ocean view balcony (a bit cheaper than JS):

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=1de0a4ee025c56b1&sca_upv=1&tbm=vid&sxsrf=ADLYWIJiOBsb4sp7vWJidy721VP-jGLVMg:1720548709644&q=oasis+of+the+seas+cabin+for+3+people&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwihwqC1x5qHAxXrC3kGHaSCB9IQ8ccDegQIBBAH&biw=1366&bih=566&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:78198dba,vid:ZrjmxMJJMR8,st:0

Is the sofa bed any larger or better quality in the JS?

6 minutes ago, RWMike said:

Is the sofa bed any larger or better quality in the JS?

Personally, IDK, but maybe someone else can answer that. I did enjoy the extra space in the room though and we were able to dine in Coastal Kitchen for dinner most evenings, which depends on availability, since full suites are accommodated first. If you get the JS, be sure to make your dinner reservation as soon as you board.

The bathtub in the bathroom was nice because I am a big gal at 280# and I absolutely hate those small tube showers in the regular rooms! If I dropped the soap, I had to open the doors to pick it up! For big people, it's only a turn around shower, no stooping or bending over.

Wish I could be of more help!

• Thanks 1

BTW, we really enjoy the Oasis and will be on her in September and November, 2025, and again in February, 2026 to celebrate our birthdays! We agreed to book a full suite for our birthdays to celebrate in style! Woot! Woot! We're getting up there in age and ya can't take it with ya! Hope you enjoy cruising as much as we do! Cheers friends!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Maybe you can get a balcony cabin and an inside cabin across the hall for your adult son, which would give you a 2nd bathroom. Or maybe he could invite a friend to share the cabin to cut expenses.

If not that, @MommaBear55 above has a good alternative of splitting the beds in the bedroom and alternating sleeping on that hard couch (I also have heard they are very uncomfortable). Nonetheless, whatever you decide, hope you have a wonderful cruise vacation! Cheers!

That would defeat the purpose of keeping the son and the girlfriend from having access to a bedroom by themselves though. 

I like the idea someone had of splitting the Queen bed into 2 twins and letting the son have one while one of the parents takes the couch. Might take up more floor space that way but oh well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

That would defeat the purpose of keeping the son and the girlfriend from having access to a bedroom by themselves though. 

I like the idea someone had of splitting the Queen bed into 2 twins and letting the son have one while one of the parents takes the couch. Might take up more floor space that way but oh well. 

I was the one who mentioned son & GF, not OP (who originally asked the question).

Sorry, for a vacation, my kid's are NOT getting a comfy bed while I (or DW) suffer on the couch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would suggest having them remove the table and bring a blow up mattress for him to sleep on.  Much more comfortable than the pull out couch. We will have 4 of us in a balcony cabin in a couple of weeks, but our granddaughters at 10 and 14 will not be able to fit comfortably together on the pull out.  One will have to draw the short straw for the floor and alternate. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 6:24 PM, RWMike said:

Sofa beds are uncomfortable and small, your son will not be comfortable with that sleeping arrangement. If I have to sleep on the sofa bed, I would rather just stay home.

I think that one of the parents, assuming one is significantly smaller, should take the sofa bed. My 5’ 6” daughter slept on it unopened on Allure and said us was pretty comfortable. Since it was not opened, it didn’t take up extra space in the room. My 6’ 3” 350+ lb son did not come with us on that cruise but I cannot imagine him fitting on the couch. He does fine on the single bed in the cabin.