Celebrity Beyond - ABC islands in September - Pumped!

Hello Celebrity community, I am super excited to be sailing Celebrity Beyond in September to the ABC islands. My two brothers and I with spouses. This will be my first time on Celebrity!! We are also fortunate to be in Sky Suites so will enjoy the Retreat and all it has to offer. My wife and I have cruised many times, but with work etc. it only seems about once per year. Looking forward to retirement & more cruising some day. Our last cruises were on NCL (Prima in the Haven), HAL Koningsdam and N.A. to Alaska (awesome), we did MSC Meraviglia as a family one Christmas (less than awesome), and we did a few Royal's pre-covid (Allure, Freedom, Serenade). We loved our experience in the Haven on Prima and had a suite on Koningsdam that was awesome as well, so can't wait to try out Celebrity & the Beyond & the Retreat. We have dinner planned at Le Voyage and Fine Cut. 

Will definitely plan a "Live from..." during the cruise, I like posting a lot of pictures and happy to answer any questions while on board.

A few questions to those experienced Celebrity cruisers...

1. On other cruises, I've enjoyed the behind the scenes Ship tour. It's pricy on Beyond, worth it? There is a tour only of the food galley which is less $ but sounds interesting? 

2. We booked a "Cabana" for one of the sea days, but I know the Retreat has the sun deck. Did you enjoy your Cabana experiences, should I keep? I bought it black Friday for 30% off, so was a decent deal. 

3. The dinner on the Magic Carpet, is this typically booked on ship or beforehand (e.g., did I miss it already?). Maybe concierge could help, or is it easier to get a reservation only for a drink? 

4. We have a good shore excursion planned for Aruba, but not much in B or C. Ship offerings were hard to get a sense for (other than starting my morning one day with an hour Tuk-Tuk ride ha). Do you have any ship or local/guide tours you love from those locations? 

Looking forward to joining the Celebrity community. 

• Like 1

We are doing the same itinerary in an Aqua Sky suite in a few days.  For Bonaire, we have reserved golf carts with Bonaire Cruisers and will tour the island at our leisure.  They get great ratings and we are excited to see Bonaire up close at our pace.

I would dump the cabana because the Retreat provides a similar experience and is already included in your fare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We booked a cabana but decided to cancel it when we upgraded to a suite.  The cabanas are right at tge main pool and offer little privacy and the furniture is more like sofa than loungers 
The Retreat Sun Deck  has loungers and nooks with comfy sofas and chairs.  It is doesn’t have the cramped feeling or the noise of the main pool are.  

Dinner on the MC is offered in the Cruise Planner on our bookings.  It is only offered once a cruise            (weather permitting) so if it isn’t showing it may be sold out, ask when you board. 
We rented golf c on Bonaire  from Bonaire Cruiser. 

Edited by jelayne
  • Thanks 1

We have the Inside Access tour booked on our upcoming Beyond sailing.  It is a bit pricy, but to me it is worth it because I am a ship nerd.  We caught a flash sale.  We did it on Summit also and especially enjoyed the bridge and engineering room.😊

I can’t see the point of a cabana in GenPop when you have access to The Retreat Sundeck.

The first time we visited Bonaire we just grabbed an easy-peasy, unplanned tour with a guide/driver who took us and another couple on a comprehensive tour around the north loop of the island.  Second time around we rented carts from Bonaire Cruisers (two thumbs up) and did the south loop.👍👍

The first time in Curaçao we again grabbed a tour spontaneously once we got off the ship.  It turned out to be a nice, guided overview and drive around the island.  Then we meandered around town and watched the floating bridge in action.😉

I can’t help you with any experiential advise with Dinner on the Edge, but I can’t imagine the Magic Carpet would offer a very relaxing dinner venue while trying to prevent everything from flying off the table in the wind.

Enjoy your cruise!!  With your enthusiasm there is no doubt you will.  They are all lovely ports of call.😎

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Bonaire Cruisers. We have rented golf carts a few times, always a good day. Its interesting to see how much their business has grown over the years, Larger facility and many more carts. We bring our own snorkel equipment and stop along the way.    

• Like 2

Renting golf carts in Bonaire is a lot of fun.  Tour the island at your own pace, stop when you want, snorkel where you want, eat where you want, etc.   If you really enjoy snorkeling, the other suggestion I would have is to jump on the ferry over to Klein Bonaire and do the drift snorkel which was amazing.

In Curacao, we booked a private tour with Around Curacao.  I researched the island and decided where we wanted to go/what we wanted to see, and they gave me a quote/approximate number of hours it would take for what I was asking.  I thought it was a great deal, and we got to do exactly everything that we wanted (snorkeled with turtles, had a "local" lunch, went to Shete Boka National Park, saw flamingos, etc.).  Our young guide was excellent and clearly proud of his island.  It was a fantastic tour as well as a nice history lesson of the island.

Whatever you decide, have a fabulous time!!!!  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just did that trip and ship a month ago in a suite. Cancel the cabana. You will not want to be that close to commoners, I mean the retreat sun deck is very, very nice. As far as tours, those are the three ugliest Caribbean islands I have been to. They aren’t very tropical, but more like deserts. I toured each of them, but honestly nothing was all that impressive. My suggestion is to just do something that sounds fun since there isn’t a lot to see. The ship tour is a personal preference item. I think every other optional dining venue provides a better experience than the Magic Carpet. Try to go to Eden. Expensive but best experience.

• Haha 1

Great itinerary 

Aruba-Trikes Aruba

Bonaire-Bonaire cruisers. Bring your own snorkel gear, many good spots

Curacao-Rent a car and explore (Advance Car Rental )

They give you a pre programmed GPS with all the best stops 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, janetz said:

Great itinerary 

Aruba-Trikes Aruba

Bonaire-Bonaire cruisers. Bring your own snorkel gear, many good spots

Curacao-Rent a car and explore (Advance Car Rental )

They give you a pre programmed GPS with all the best stops 

Already booked the car and the golf cart, will have to check out the trikes.

SGCruiser2013, we have done the behind the scenes Ship tour and thought it was worth the money.

In Aruba we took a taxi to Eagle beach and rented beach chairs and umbrella.

For Curacao we walk around and did a little shopping.

Bonaire saw us in a rental golf cart from Bonaire Cruisers and did the south route. If you will be snorkeling, bring good water shoes as most of the beaches are rocky.

We had wonderful cruise on Beyond and I'm sure you and your family will too!

• Like 1

The Behind the scenes tour is worth it.. and no need for the food tour only!  Lots of walking & stairs..but some  elev option if needed. 

Best on ship tour for us  on  E Class is always the Art & Design Tour..last  day or so .It  covers most of the art.. lots of good info ...moves along nicely.. Usually comes with the Art Book.

We are not big  fans of Luminae..so we rec some specialty dining...book ahead on line...for a discount and best times .

Book EDEN asap...great experience!

We also love Raw on 5..not just sushi, great cocktails! a la carte

If you like outdoor casual with great food,  book the Rooftop Garden Grill for dinner on a port night... or at least a lunch one day (when pickleball is not  being played!)

Enjoy the shows..state of the art theatre and  excellent shows/ performers.

Fav Bar is  World Class Bar overlooking Martini Bar.. see the action but  but not as noisy! 

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yet another vote for Bonaire Cruisers. The south part of Bonaire is completely different from the north part - virtually 2 different islands. Guided Taxi tours are good too.

I found the magic carpet completely underwhelming. If you only want a drink - definitely no reservations needed. You might have the whole place to yourselves depending on the time you go. A couple times I noticed that was the least used bar.

Agree that the Cabana might be a letdown for you.

One tip: Best bar is actually the one at the Oceanview Cafe way at the back of the ship.

Right now, the absolute highlight on Beyond are the theatre shows. Reserved seating is a big plus.

• Thanks 1

I did the behind the scenes tour in April. I haven't done it on other ships, but if you have I don't see how it can be that much. It was a cool experience, but I won't be signing up for it on any other ships in the future.

For Bonaire I'd recommend a snorkel tour with Woodwind. The snorkeling at Klein Bonaire is simply amazing. The Woodwind crew is great. For $85/person for a 3-4 hour tour it included snorkel gear, a guided snorkel in two spots, snorkel gear, snacks, lunch and unlimited drinks (alcoholic or non alcoholic). The guides are with you in the water explaining what you are seeing and how the ecosystem works there. Very informative and better than your typical "get in the water and look at the fish." I can't recommend Woodwind enough. Even if you don't use them, a snorkel trip in Bonaire should be at the top of your list. 

Onboard Beyond, World Class bar has some of the best drinks and bartenders on the ship. Sunset bar is another great spot for live music and a drink before dinner. Sunset aft views with a good cocktail and music - doesn't get much better than that on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

Bonaire DH did land surfing. Loved it so much we booked another ABC cruise 2 months later.  Aruba. We did a tour of the island. The north shore very different from the south, more lava rock, desert feel. 

• Like 1

We have done the golf carts in Bonaire a few times.  Last trip all they had was their deluxe carts.  Do not rent them!  We were told we had to fill it with gas before we returned it.  Took us almost an hour to find a gas station as the directions they gave were incorrect.  Waited in line at gas station for about 50 minutes!  All to get $6 of gas!  Do the south loop, the north was boring.  

• Like 1

I'm doing this itinerary 7/27.

I'm doing a ship-based excursion in Aruba (the Jeep one that goes to the Ayo Rock formations and other things)

Woodwind for snorkeling in Bonaire.

Caves, Turtles and Beaches tour  with Irie Tours in Curacao.

• Thanks 1

Curacao….love going to pig beach to spend the day snorkelling. We just catch taxi from port, $120 return for 4 people, up to Playa Porto Marie beach. Beach entry and chair $6.50 pp and snorkel hire $10 from bar. Easy and excellent snorkelling, beach shoes useful btw. Great chilled beach with good facilities and pigs. Much cheaper and less crowded than any ship excursion.

Irie tours are also great right from the port on Curcao.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing replies everyone, thanks!!

1. Will likely cancel the Cabana

2. Will do a drink but not dinner on MC

3. Will check into Eden! 
4. We have booked Bonaire Cruisers for our group! 

5. Will be looking further into options for Curaçao, sounds like some different things could be a lot of fun! 

18 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Early or late September, I’m on the Sept 21 sailing..

another vote for Bonaire cruisers..

We are two weeks earlier 9/7. Looks like an awesome itinerary and I’m excited about the extra cruise day. 

12 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

We have done the golf carts in Bonaire a few times.  Last trip all they had was their deluxe carts.  Do not rent them!  We were told we had to fill it with gas before we returned it.  Took us almost an hour to find a gas station as the directions they gave were incorrect.  Waited in line at gas station for about 50 minutes!  All to get $6 of gas!  Do the south loop, the north was boring.  

Thanks for the tip on the carts, we booked the regulars. 

2 hours ago, SGCruiser2013 said:

We are two weeks earlier 9/7. Looks like an awesome itinerary and I’m excited about the extra cruise day. 

Y’all should have a blast, we did this route last year..

• Like 1

ABC cruise is our favorite and we go in August.  Love pig beach in Curacao; great snorkeling, pigs and craft beer bar.  Best snorkeling is in Bonaire, we usually get a resort day pass to lounge and snorkel.  In Aruba we've gone to the beach by bus, also did private excursion catamaran snorkel which we'll probably do again.  And we always wander a bit at each port.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 11:10 PM, dougocam said:

I just did that trip and ship a month ago in a suite. Cancel the cabana. You will not want to be that close to commoners, I mean the retreat sun deck is very, very nice. As far as tours, those are the three ugliest Caribbean islands I have been to. They aren’t very tropical, but more like deserts. I toured each of them, but honestly nothing was all that impressive. My suggestion is to just do something that sounds fun since there isn’t a lot to see. The ship tour is a personal preference item. I think every other optional dining venue provides a better experience than the Magic Carpet. Try to go to Eden. Expensive but best experience.

Bonaire may less "tropical" then some other islands BUT under the water Bonaire is by far away the best snorkeling/diving spot in the Caribbean!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SGCruiser2013 said:

See you on board. I am also in The Retreat. The ABC islands are my favorite, partially because of the two sea days down and two back.  I agree with canceling the cabana. The Retreat Sundeck is very nice and far less noisy than the main pool.  If I am not off the ship on a port day, I like that there is a limited lunch menu available at the Sundeck bar.

• Like 1