Booking directly with cruise line versus using a travel group or agency

I get a lot of emails and offers to book cruises through both the cruise lines and independent travel agencies. I called about a particular add that was offered a “bonus” of free gratuities, drinks, and WiFi from a travel agency. When I called for details I found out that there was nothing free and that we simply had the opportunity to stack bonuses. So, they were saying “free” for something I had to pay for anyway and can get any time. So I’m wondering if it’s worth sorting through all the email and advertising from these places and maybe just book directly with the cruise lines. What is everyone else’s experience and can you point out pros and cons. 

Posted (edited)

We use a TA to save on the cruise fare.  Savings of 10% - 15% are common for the mainstream lines we frequent. We typically self book on the TA's website.  We don't need hand holding or consultations.  It took us a while to find a TA that was a good fit for us.  

We cannot identify any real negatives.  It is basically the same as booking directly except fewer glitches and more responsive if/when needed. 

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

90%+ of the “sales” in the cruise industry end up being the normal price repackaged to make it sound like a deal. Both from TA’s and direct from the line. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We cannot identify any real negatives.

For me the negative if using a TA is that if something goes wrong or if I need to make a change, I can take care of it myself. 

• Like 1

Just now, wcook said:

For me the negative if using a TA is that if something goes wrong or if I need to make a change, I can take care of it myself. 

I am not following.  It is just a different phone number and web site, both of which are likely more responsive than the cruise line's.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wcook said:

90%+ of the “sales” in the cruise industry end up being the normal price repackaged to make it sound like a deal. Both from TA’s and direct from the line. 

This happens as shared by the OP.  Whether you call it a sale or not, we pay 10% - 15% less via our TA for an apples-to-apples fare.  That isn't Monopoly money.  Many other experienced cruise passengers have confirmed the same thing on these boards.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I am not following.  It is just a different phone number and web site, both of which are likely more responsive than the cruise line's.  

Right the myth of "I have retained control" as if by magic you can correct things yourself as opposed to having someone from the cruise line's customer service to deal with. And on many of these boards, you will read of problems with cruise line customer service, especially when it is outsourced overseas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnlady said:

I get a lot of emails and offers to book cruises through both the cruise lines and independent travel a, gencies. I called about a particular add that was offered a “bonus” of free gratuities, drinks, and WiFi from a travel agency. When I called for details I found out that there was nothing free and that we simply had the opportunity to stack bonuses. So, they were saying “free” for something I had to pay for anyway and can get any time. So I’m wondering if it’s worth sorting through all the email and advertising from these places and maybe just book directly with the cruise lines. What is everyone else’s experience and can you point out pros and cons. 

This is always a VERY HOT topic here on CC and many are VERY protective of their TA's. We are in the minority here on CC because we do not use a TA. IMHO giving up control of my trip is not worth incentives they offer.  First off, the cruise lines Price Fix all cruises including Group Rates. Which means a TA cannot discount a cruise price. What they can do is offer incentives like OBC, bottle of wine, etc. This comes out of their commission and is NOT paid by the Cruise Line. For many, those incentives are worth it. The tradeoff is that by using a TA vs. Direct Booking, you give up control of the booking even though you are the one paying for it. The TA is the customer of the Cruise Line, you are a customer of the TA. So, if ANY issue arises you must go through the TA as the Cruise Line will not even speak to you as you are not their customer. I'm sure there are many fine TA's out there. Many years ago, we had some bad experiences with different agencies. As such we do all our own direct booking. In our experience if a problem develops (and they do), we have found the Cruise Lines were more than willing to work with us to solve the issue to our satisfaction. We find it so much easier to call the Cruise Line direct rather than have to go through a 3rd party. To each their own. Good Luck and happy cruising.  

• Like 1

Tell you why I use a good TA.  I am sitting on the runway in Las Vegas waiting to take off but with a long delay because of a ground hold.  The delay is making it likely that I will miss my connection in Atlanta to Greece.  I call my TA from the plane and tell her my problem.  She says  not to worry and that she will handle it.  She already as an alternative flight figured out and the ticket held by the time I step off the plane in Atlanta and she calls me as soon as the plane lands in Atlanta to tell me that things are under control.  Turns out that we did barely make the initial connection but we also had a backup plan just in case.

Tell me that your cruise company personal cruise consultant will provide that level of service.

DON

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Tell you why I use a good TA.  I am sitting on the runway in Las Vegas waiting to take off but with a long delay because of a ground hold.  The delay is making it likely that I will miss my connection in Atlanta to Greece.  I call my TA from the plane and tell her my problem.  She says  not to worry and that she will handle it.  She already as an alternative flight figured out and the ticket held by the time I step off the plane in Atlanta and she calls me as soon as the plane lands in Atlanta to tell me that things are under control.  Turns out that we did barely make the initial connection but we also had a backup plan just in case.

Tell me that your cruise company personal cruise consultant will provide that level of service.

DON

Has nothing to do with a cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wcook said:

I completely disagree with this.  Before I put my booking out for bid with TAs I always do a mock booking on the cruiseline site.  So I have hard numbers as to the savings from booking with a TA.  It may not be a direct fare reduction, but getting significant OBC is still a savings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

This is always a VERY HOT topic here on CC and many are VERY protective of their TA's. We are in the minority here on CC because we do not use a TA. IMHO giving up control of my trip is not worth incentives they offer.  First off, the cruise lines Price Fix all cruises including Group Rates. Which means a TA cannot discount a cruise price. What they can do is offer incentives like OBC, bottle of wine, etc. This comes out of their commission and is NOT paid by the Cruise Line. For many, those incentives are worth it. The tradeoff is that by using a TA vs. Direct Booking, you give up control of the booking even though you are the one paying for it. The TA is the customer of the Cruise Line, you are a customer of the TA. So, if ANY issue arises you must go through the TA as the Cruise Line will not even speak to you as you are not their customer. I'm sure there are many fine TA's out there. Many years ago, we had some bad experiences with different agencies. As such we do all our own direct booking. In our experience if a problem develops (and they do), we have found the Cruise Lines were more than willing to work with us to solve the issue to our satisfaction. We find it so much easier to call the Cruise Line direct rather than have to go through a 3rd party. To each their own. Good Luck and happy cruising.  

Our experience over many years would be exactly the opposite of what you say.  We book directly with a TA and pay 10% - 15% less for the fare.  In other words, a discounted fare.  No OBC or free wine is involved.  It does not matter to me how the TA offers the lower fare.   

As far as control of the booking, we call (or email, or text) our TA and you call a customer service agent of the cruise line.  One can likely guess which takes less time and is more helpful.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

Our experience over many years would be exactly the opposite of what you say.  We book directly with a TA and pay 10% - 15% less for the fare.  In other words, a discounted fare.  No OBC or free wine is involved.  It does not matter to me how the TA offers the lower fare.   

As far as control of the booking, we call (or email, or text) our TA and you call a customer service agent of the cruise line.  One can likely guess which takes less time and is more helpful.   

Yes, the myth of control as if one can change things without calling the cruise line's customer service number. And read many of the individual cruise line boards and see what posters are saying about their interactions with those customer service representatives many of whom are now in foreign countries and speak highly accented English. Read where instead of trying to solve the problem, they instead just try to sell extras.

• Thanks 1

A note to Brits and other European (mebbe antipodeans too)

Much of the advice given on this thread doesn't apply to you.

If you book from outside North America there are different pros & cons on the subject of booking direct or thro a TA, some of them cruiseline-specific,

Post this query on a new thread, making it clear where you are booking from & your nationality.

Same applies to topics such as passports, visas, inoculations, cruiseline terms & conditions, etc.

JB 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rugerdog said:

Learned a new word!  Thanks JB

You learned from a lousy teacher.

Should be Antipodean with a capital A. 🙄😄

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 3:42 AM, ontheweb said:

Yes, the myth of control as if one can change things without calling the cruise line's customer service number. And read many of the individual cruise line boards and see what posters are saying about their interactions with those customer service representatives many of whom are now in foreign countries and speak highly accented English. Read where instead of trying to solve the problem, they instead just try to sell extras.

I've been reading some of the horror stories. I don't think accents are a part of the real reasons for the discontent.  

Edited by ldubs

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

I've been reading some of the horror stories. I don't think accents are a part of the real reasons for the discontent.  

Accents are a part of the problem. Now from reading many of those same horror stories, trying to sell extras as opposed to focusing on the problem can be an even bigger problem. And I did mention that in the post of mine that you quoted.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Accents are a part of the problem. Now from reading many of those same horror stories, trying to sell extras as opposed to focusing on the problem can be an even bigger problem. And I did mention that in the post of mine that you quoted.

I think when people are unhappy with results, it is natural to add accent bias to the complaint.  True, it could be difficult for those not used to the different sounds.   I guess exposure helps because I don't find accents to be an issue. 

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think when people are unhappy with results, it is natural to add accent bias to the complaint.  True, it could be difficult for those not used to the different sounds.   I guess exposure helps because I don't find accents to be an issue. 

But we live on the Left Coast.

People clearly have varied opinions about the pluses and minuses of using TAs.  But as far as your original post.  Yes, my experience is that very often TA's will advertise the cruise line's sales/promotions as their own.  Some TA's will offer something above and beyond that - OBC, discounted price, free shore excursions; but you have to compare between the TA's promotions and the cruise lines promotions to see what, if anything, you are getting from the TA.