Live: July 20-27 Norwegian Fjords Apex

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Lena11033! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Lena11033 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Starting this a few days early while I'm wrapping up things at work on a project at work which got moved from June launch to the day I am leaving, yep fun travel day 😅
Quite literally I have to be at the airport for 8am, however our first part is supposed to go live first thing when I get up in the morning. So have to check that, head to airport, work for a bit, fly to Toronto and log back in then in the afternoon next update happens - then flying out in the evening. Meanwhile testing and making sure ad campaigns are 👌

I've made it clear I will not be reachable from early evening on the 16th so they are on their own after that. I'm trying to cover as much as possible before I leave because my manager has booked the entire week off as well (I've had the time booked off since last year) 🫥
Obviously with leaving on the 16th I have a few days to settle before the cruise. So yeah trying to wrap everything up and make my team feel confident with the launch. 🫡

A little about me, I'm Jeannette and British living in Canada and 42 (soon to be 43 in a few weeks), I'm married with no kids but have 3 fur babies. I am a team lead in digital advertising for a TV station in Canada.
I live near the border with Detroit so I tend to pick and choose where I'm flying from as there is a local airport to me in Canada but then have to connect in Toronto or drive to Detroit to fly.

53390461_10161801403265093_4510371089989238784_n.thumb.jpg.e833a8caaaa67a108791fd40842a2bb3.jpg

Fur Babies (please ignore the stern faces they were staring at food)

447568828_10169314920210093_7881088392043399540_n.thumb.jpg.79a4b8932db14f8971d8204678d7dffa.jpg

I'm flying out Tuesday from my local airport this time as I used points with Air Canada and got a business class ticket for the price of economy.
I actually leave Windsor on a 10am flight to Toronto, then 8:30pm from Toronto to London. Last trip I left at 4pm with a 3 hour connection and my original flight was delayed almost 2 hours so giving it a little more time this trip as it was really stressful. As I have business class I have access to the lounge so will just work from there for the day.

I arrive in London Wednesday morning and staying at Park Plaza Westminster as its near Waterloo (according to Google 10 min walk ok maybe 15 with my bags because I refuse to cab that). Plan for the day is basically stay awake (I kid, kind of). I'm going to do some walking and head to lunch at Borough Market and then go from there. Probably walking around, maybe some shopping. As I'm from London (I was born and raised in what's considered the city of London) I don't really do the sightseeing things more just wandering around and realizing how much has changed.

Itinerary for this Cruise
20th July: Southampton 
21st July: Bruges
22nd July: Sea Day
23rd July: Flam
24th July: Geiranger
25th July: Bergen
26th July: Sea Day
27th July: Southampton

STH_BRU_FLM_AES_BGO_STH_1200x430.thumb.gif.91d4a0d3cd215083feb4044dbdf4a85b.gif

I purchased the cruise when there was OBC so I used it towards Eden and some excursions.
Bruges I'm doing a walking tour and a chocolate factory
Flam I'm visiting Borgund Stavechurch
Geiranger I'm doing a two hour sightseeing tour then going to go walking with no set plan (although right now the forecast has lots of rain 😆)
Bergen plan is the funicular and just walking about - so no set plan

This weekend is wrapping up laundry for packing - dogs aren't happy about the suitcase they have been following me all week around the house. Also get groceries so my husband doesn't live off of hot dogs and hamburgers while I'm away, I mean he probably still will but at least start with some vegetables as he will probably only shop to replace burgers/hot dogs as I am expecting to come home to an empty fridge as he doesn't normally buy anything once its out while I'm away. So normally as soon as I am home its laundry and grocery shopping 😐

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’m following along, and undoubtedly it will trigger wonderful memories of our Fjord cruise last year. Hope you have great weather! This was our weather in Flam last year!

IMG_3944.png

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2

Following along as we will be on Apex in another month with different itinerary. Also did Norway fjords a couple of years ago and loved it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

I’m following along, and undoubtedly it will trigger wonderful memories of our Fjord cruise last year. Hope you have great weather! This was our weather in Flam last year!

IMG_3944.png

Thanks

I'm hoping so, or I'll take warmer than current forecast predicts. Considering where I am today the high is 39C/102F  and tomorrow is 42C/108F

3 hours ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Can’t wait to follow along…handling work while traveling makes the travel day go faster… 😂

It should make it fly by which is better than just waiting in a lounge for 9 hours I suppose - although I'll have my kindle but way I see it is working that day I save a vacation day and I can work from anywhere so airport lounge works 😉

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

It should make it fly by which is better than just waiting in a lounge for 9 hours I suppose - although I'll have my kindle but way I see it is working that day I save a vacation day and I can work from anywhere so airport lounge works 😉

Exactly!!!

Im looking forward to following along as well. Would love to see the fjords someday! The cooler Norwegian temps really do seem refreshing from what we’ve got at the moment…hot in Eastern Ontario too! 🥵 Have a wonderful holiday! 🥂 

Cathy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Im looking forward to following along as well. Would love to see the fjords someday! The cooler Norwegian temps really do seem refreshing from what we’ve got at the moment…hot in Eastern Ontario too! 🥵 Have a wonderful holiday! 🥂 

Cathy

Yeah I'm just outside of Windsor and it feels like 37C at 7pm its a little much. Husband spent last few hours outside and he's like 'why are you in the house' - Air Conditioning lol

As much as its going to be a huge temperature drop I think right now it sounds nice 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Yeah I'm just outside of Windsor and it feels like 37C at 7pm its a little much. Husband spent last few hours outside and he's like 'why are you in the house' - Air Conditioning lol

As much as its going to be a huge temperature drop I think right now it sounds nice 

Yep, New England is toasty as well.  If I wanted to live in Florida I would have!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Considering where I am today the high is 39C/102F  and tomorrow is 42C/108F

Bring some of it with you please!🙏

The temperature today is 19 c in UK. That is far better than the 13 c that we have had recently.

Jeannette,

So excited to follow your next adventure.     

Love your fur babies... I sure miss my Golden.   They have to be the best dog in the world.  OK... I'm prejudiced.

Bruge is really a great town to explore on your own.    We just explored on our own and found a hidden gem of a place for lunch... We weren't looking for a large lunch and it fit the bill.    Home Made Soups, Breads and sweets .. It is outside the touristy area and more of a neighborhood place for a Coffee and lunch.

https://www.instagram.com/postbarbrugge/?locale=en_GB%2F

• Like 4

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Bring some of it with you please!🙏

The temperature today is 19 c in UK. That is far better than the 13 c that we have had recently.

lol its actually disgusting here right now as @cruisetonowhere10 said its like Florida - actually my humidity here is worse (temperature wise its about the same) 🥵

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jeannette,

So excited to follow your next adventure.     

Love your fur babies... I sure miss my Golden.   They have to be the best dog in the world.  OK... I'm prejudiced.

Bruge is really a great town to explore on your own.    We just explored on our own and found a hidden gem of a place for lunch... We weren't looking for a large lunch and it fit the bill.    Home Made Soups, Breads and sweets .. It is outside the touristy area and more of a neighborhood place for a Coffee and lunch.

https://www.instagram.com/postbarbrugge/?locale=en_GB%2F

Jim, I know what you mean, it was hard on the last cruise with Bella being put down - we still feel her loss, plus the boys they seem to be almost fighting for alpha position but they are all super needy sucks so no one is winning 😆 

Thanks I'll check it out, Bruges will be interesting its a Sunday and a holiday so not sure how much is going to be open - that's ok worst case its a nice walk. At least I am aware, last year in Germany people were shocked not a lot was open on Sunday (think it was Easter too)

• Like 1

I was hoping that Celebrity would do longer voyages to the Norweigan Fyords with Eclipse like they are doing with the Apex.  We'd love to do one but 7-days is not enough and we are not fans of the E-class ships. 

Guess we'll look at alternatives. 

20 minutes ago, WisconsinFan said:

Following! This is our trip in September of 2025. London is our biggest question right now- where to stay and how to get to Southampton 🙂 Looking forward to following along.

When we sailed out of Southampton we went over a few days early and stayted at a Marriott Ressidence Inn London Tower Bridge.  We did sightseeing in  London and then on embarkation day arranged a shared van service from the hotel directly to the cruise ship through the same company we arranged our tours in London through. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

When we sailed out of Southampton we went over a few days early and stayted at a Marriott Ressidence Inn London Tower Bridge.  We did sightseeing in  London and then on embarkation day arranged a shared van service from the hotel directly to the cruise ship through the same company we arranged our tours in London through. 

Thanks! Our plan was a few days in London and then off to Southampton. We have a bit of time to plan, so gathering suggestions.

16 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

How was your experience at the Marriott Residence Inn London Tower?  We are looking at several hotels in that area.  Also, do you mind to share the name of the tour company?  Thanks!

On 7/13/2024 at 7:23 PM, Lena11033 said:

Starting this a few days early while I'm wrapping up things at work on a project at work which got moved from June launch to the day I am leaving, yep fun travel day 😅
Quite literally I have to be at the airport for 8am, however our first part is supposed to go live first thing when I get up in the morning. So have to check that, head to airport, work for a bit, fly to Toronto and log back in then in the afternoon next update happens - then flying out in the evening. Meanwhile testing and making sure ad campaigns are 👌

I've made it clear I will not be reachable from early evening on the 16th so they are on their own after that. I'm trying to cover as much as possible before I leave because my manager has booked the entire week off as well (I've had the time booked off since last year) 🫥
Obviously with leaving on the 16th I have a few days to settle before the cruise. So yeah trying to wrap everything up and make my team feel confident with the launch. 🫡

A little about me, I'm Jeannette and British living in Canada and 42 (soon to be 43 in a few weeks), I'm married with no kids but have 3 fur babies. I am a team lead in digital advertising for a TV station in Canada.
I live near the border with Detroit so I tend to pick and choose where I'm flying from as there is a local airport to me in Canada but then have to connect in Toronto or drive to Detroit to fly.

53390461_10161801403265093_4510371089989238784_n.thumb.jpg.e833a8caaaa67a108791fd40842a2bb3.jpg

Fur Babies (please ignore the stern faces they were staring at food)

447568828_10169314920210093_7881088392043399540_n.thumb.jpg.79a4b8932db14f8971d8204678d7dffa.jpg

I'm flying out Tuesday from my local airport this time as I used points with Air Canada and got a business class ticket for the price of economy.
I actually leave Windsor on a 10am flight to Toronto, then 8:30pm from Toronto to London. Last trip I left at 4pm with a 3 hour connection and my original flight was delayed almost 2 hours so giving it a little more time this trip as it was really stressful. As I have business class I have access to the lounge so will just work from there for the day.

I arrive in London Wednesday morning and staying at Park Plaza Westminster as its near Waterloo (according to Google 10 min walk ok maybe 15 with my bags because I refuse to cab that). Plan for the day is basically stay awake (I kid, kind of). I'm going to do some walking and head to lunch at Borough Market and then go from there. Probably walking around, maybe some shopping. As I'm from London (I was born and raised in what's considered the city of London) I don't really do the sightseeing things more just wandering around and realizing how much has changed.

Itinerary for this Cruise
20th July: Southampton 
21st July: Bruges
22nd July: Sea Day
23rd July: Flam
24th July: Geiranger
25th July: Bergen
26th July: Sea Day
27th July: Southampton

STH_BRU_FLM_AES_BGO_STH_1200x430.thumb.gif.91d4a0d3cd215083feb4044dbdf4a85b.gif

I purchased the cruise when there was OBC so I used it towards Eden and some excursions.
Bruges I'm doing a walking tour and a chocolate factory
Flam I'm visiting Borgund Stavechurch
Geiranger I'm doing a two hour sightseeing tour then going to go walking with no set plan (although right now the forecast has lots of rain 😆)
Bergen plan is the funicular and just walking about - so no set plan

This weekend is wrapping up laundry for packing - dogs aren't happy about the suitcase they have been following me all week around the house. Also get groceries so my husband doesn't live off of hot dogs and hamburgers while I'm away, I mean he probably still will but at least start with some vegetables as he will probably only shop to replace burgers/hot dogs as I am expecting to come home to an empty fridge as he doesn't normally buy anything once its out while I'm away. So normally as soon as I am home its laundry and grocery shopping 😐

Have an awesome time.  Our dog is also sensitive to the suitcase "alarm/indicator".

• Like 2

Thanks for taking us along.  Six of us are making final plans this week on a 12 or 14 day fiords trip next summer.  We are looking at Celebrity, Princess and Holland America.  None of us have ever been so we are really novices at planning in this area of Europe.  I’ll be taking notes for sure.  I’ve used these boards for many years and the folks on here have the best advice…..

2 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

Following! This is our trip in September of 2025. London is our biggest question right now- where to stay and how to get to Southampton 🙂 Looking forward to following along.

I normally stay elsewhere but I picked Park Plaza as it's close to Waterloo which is where I'm getting the train to Southampton from. It's also across the bridge from Westminster.

I guess it depends on what you plan to do and how you want to get to Southampton. A lot of people take national express but I don't really want to get my bag to Victoria. If you are staying in the area or going from Heathrow its fine.

Others take private transport.

I did train, it's only me so train is cheaper. I purchased train tickets 12 weeks out it has a set time you can only take that one train but it makes it a lot cheaper. Same with coming back, I figured out what would be a reasonable time off the ship and to the train station and booked it that way.

• Like 1