Live: July 20-27 Norwegian Fjords Apex

7 hours ago, GuyeCO said:

Curious if you entertained the 12nt option at all? Or if anyone else contemplated both? Anything I am missing between the two besides the obvious extra 5 nights... Is one better than the other?

Hope it’s ok to chime in here. I was on the 12 night. The 2 ports in the Arctic Circle ( Tromsø and Honningsvåg) were in complete contrast to the ports we had in the Fjords ( Flam and Olden).  Kristiansand in the south also had a different vibe to other ports. 

Our reason for the 12 nights was to go to the Arctic Circle and we had already been to all but 1 of the ports on the 7 night cruise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GuyeCO said:

Curious if you entertained the 12nt option at all? Or if anyone else contemplated both? Anything I am missing between the two besides the obvious extra 5 nights... Is one better than the other?

The 12-n goes to 71’n. 
It’s crossing the artic circle ️ 

and the most important thing, the scenery is completely different in the fjords compared to up north. 

When you do southern parts of Norway 🇳🇴 you have white villages, majestic fjords and waterfalls, multiple options of walking and hiking along the mountains surrounding the fjords. 
You have a lush green forest landscape and the water is often greener due to ice melt and its cold water. 

When you sail further north, passing the artic circle ️ around Mo I Rana, the scenery changes. 
The mountains get sharper and higher. It’s straight from 0m ocean to 800m in a very steep angle 📐
You get lots of tiny islands and several white beaches and crystal clear water. (Think a Caribbean island beach 🏝️) But the temperature is not very high🤣
You still have some vegetation, trees and green grass. But the trees are getting lower. It will not be tall trees and the future north you go, the lower they will grow. 
When you are passing Lofoten, arriving in Tromsø. 
The nature starts to be “stripped” think gray, a little greenish and no trees. If it’s a tree, it will be maximally around 1.5m. 
The mountains is more rounded and you don’t have the sharp angles as in Helgeland. 

it’s really special and completely different from the fjords. 
And the wildlife is also very different. 

If you have time, I strongly recommend to do a full trip to North Cape 71’n. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Back from my day in Geigraner so catching up while in Cafe al Bacio ️ 

Day 4 Flåm

Up early taking pictures outside temperature wise it wasn’t bad but some people thought it was 🥶

I had a 9 am excursion so after breakfast I headed down. Is herring normally available for breakfast?

It’s the first time I have seen it. I have been making bagels with salmon for one half and herring for the other for breakfast. 

IMG_3723.thumb.jpeg.68835eefee0d942b726d20e0b03c7b0b.jpeg

Again the spa people were doing samplers in the theatre while we wait for our excursion. 

My excursion was almost 6 hours we started off with  stopping in Aurland for Stegastien viewpoint. 

IMG_3736.thumb.jpeg.4341fa8808b012afc1dc43f0aab87d40.jpeg

Then onto going over the mountains to Vedahaugane for another lookout and display of a hibernating bear. 🐻 

IMG_3747.thumb.jpeg.2ebca1c083078cf4fad45f17060c0d74.jpeg

IMG_3753.thumb.jpeg.8fd2018546a4483e4fc95e786e59065e.jpeg

IMG_3761.thumb.jpeg.ce0f79bb685cc40f2ac2478292b77794.jpeg

Then on to a local town for a walk around and finally to Borgund stavechruch. First thing we were told was don’t touch it so what did someone do? Touch it 😣 
Then one guy so focused on pictures in the church backed up into the wall and fell. The guide was not impressed 🤦‍♀️

Not sure if they got he was not impressed due to the language difference (not the Norwegian his English is good but noticed there is a certain humour they have which I’m fine with but others maybe not). 

IMG_3784.thumb.jpeg.f80db7ffd95af61b371e7703940b5567.jpeg

IMG_3775.thumb.jpeg.3c0c48799ed9b6c6cf9135364014ee7e.jpeg

IMG_3786.thumb.jpeg.52dcc6ecf7a08825c93e2041f103a264.jpeg

IMG_3800.thumb.jpeg.821d30a1249b3e142b4308c397d167c1.jpeg

After we took the tunnel which is the second longest in the world back. I made it part way through before I fell asleep. No more late nights for me 😆 

Once on board I dropped my stuff off and went to get a coffee and lemon tartlets to keep me going.  Then chilled in my room for a while. I was too tired to dress up for dinner so went to the buffet which had better options anyway. 

IMG_3737.thumb.png.03afdae85bab43ede65e0fc5159af6ba.png

After dinner I took a stroll before going to the game show and pub quiz. After I just headed to my room for sleep 

I may have to leave the Eden shows for December my body can’t do all the walking with early morning wake ups plus late nights. No longer 20 years old. 

Some of the things noted money. Cash is useless, thanks Alexandra for telling me not to bring it. I did tell people on my groups for the is cruise but people were adamant it was needed and I’ve seen multiple people being turned away including when we stopped at the town on the Flåm tour, a lady was selling things from her garden. Guy from the tour tried to buy with cash. Tour guide ended up transferring money electronically to the lady and a cruiser gave the tour guide cash. 

Humour. It’s different maybe not sarcastic it’s too nice but along those lines

People are really nice and willing to help each other out at least where I have been. You don’t see that a lot. 

Driving skills 👍
While in Italy I feared for my life with some driving, people here can drive (I mean you really have to with these roads) 🏔️ 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, TMLAalum said:

@Lena11033

Loving your review, especially the photos!

What excursion did you take in Flam? It seems to have covered just about all the highlights (excepting the Flambana).

I did Destination Highlight: Aurland, Laerdal And Borgund Stavechurch  
I was debating on the train but I love old architecture and history. I will say though there was a lot of driving with it. I still had time to wander around in the port when I got back though. 

I have found the Norwegian tour guides are very much follow schedule. In Rhodes I got back in one of the last groups because the tour guide didn’t keep to schedule 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I packed for cold wet weather. I’m currently sitting in the sun on the magic carpet. 

although if I hadn’t brought waterproof stuff it probably would have rained 

IMG_3893.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I packed for cold wet weather. I’m currently sitting in the sun on the magic carpet. 

although if I hadn’t brought waterproof stuff it probably would have rained 

IMG_3893.jpeg

I am hoping to sit at that bar on Edge in Alaska…I have packed for all weather scenarios, but would very much enjoy a beautiful day like you are having.

• Like 2

As someone with strong Norwegian heritage (still in contact with a cousin in Norway) I love pickled Herring (not the stuff in the cream sauce) but I had never considered it for breakfast 🙂Just down the road from where I live (30 or 40 minutes) was an attraction- Little Norway. It was home to a Stave church built in Norway for the Chicago World's Fair. In 2012 it was taken down log, by log and shipped home to Orkdal, Norway where it was originally built in 1893. They are amazing works of engineering and architecture. Thanks for the wonderful photos and sharing your trip.

• Like 1

Kippers (usually smoked or pickled Herring) were a breakfast staple years ago in the UK,..still served in many hotels and in the buffet on British ships/cruise lines like P&O.

Mostly fished from Scotland and the Isle of Man.

@Lena11033 my post is completely off topic but just had to share. I have seen you around the boards for a long time talking about your trips, your job, experiences and providing valuable feedback to others. I know you travel solo a lot. I just assumed your picture was you and your husband. Thought you were married to a hunky Canadian lumberjack! Just today, I accidentally tapped your pic while scrolling and realized that it was Jason Momoa! I couldn’t stop laughing at how I never realized that… sorry, please resume your most excellent report.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Kippers (usually smoked or pickled Herring) were a breakfast staple years ago in the UK,..still served in many hotels and in the buffet on British ships/cruise lines like P&O.

Mostly fished from Scotland and the Isle of Man.

I remember having kippers as a kid but haven’t seen it in years 

6 hours ago, vmontell26 said:

@Lena11033 my post is completely off topic but just had to share. I have seen you around the boards for a long time talking about your trips, your job, experiences and providing valuable feedback to others. I know you travel solo a lot. I just assumed your picture was you and your husband. Thought you were married to a hunky Canadian lumberjack! Just today, I accidentally tapped your pic while scrolling and realized that it was Jason Momoa! I couldn’t stop laughing at how I never realized that… sorry, please resume your most excellent report.

lol no worries you aren’t the first. Pretty sure my husband wouldn’t mind looking like him. 

This is my husband, guess the complexion is similar but nothing else 😂

IMG_3947.thumb.jpeg.dd8311e94499c5b20d595a26a4a5efa4.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

There were kippers on the Apex on the last sailing. They were in the Oceanview Cafe in the British section next to the black pudding. So you could have another try of them to bring back some childhood memories.

15 hours ago, vmontell26 said:

Not going to lie, I thought the same thing for a long time! I'm still new to the boards and have been gobbling up live reports, thank you all for doing them. I especially love the pictures! They really help me get in the mood to cruise!

Question though, to those of you who have sailed Celebrity many times, (I have only done Disney) is it reasonable to just hit the buffet every night instead of the main dining room? I have no desire to dress up unless I tried specialty, nor do I want to be in that massive two story room or to be sitting with other people. I'd rather grab something quick and then do something fun, not waiting for meals!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

my father loved kippers.. I eat  fish for bkfast  most days..lox, sardines, sable !

1 hour ago, Naeva said:

Question though, to those of you who have sailed Celebrity many times, (I have only done Disney) is it reasonable to just hit the buffet every night instead of the main dining room? I have no desire to dress up unless I tried specialty, nor do I want to be in that massive two story room or to be sitting with other people. I'd rather grab something quick and then do something fun, not waiting for meals!

No it’s not unreasonable to just hit the buffet for dinner. We have done a number of B2B cruises where on the second cruise we tire of the menu or just the amount of time it takes in the dining room so we will go to the buffet. Sometimes we have had an all day excursion so we do not want to take the time to get dressed up for dinner.  We actually enjoy the slower pace and the lack of crowds at the buffet. It’s a different experience from breakfast and lunch. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mauimary said:

No it’s not unreasonable to just hit the buffet for dinner. We have done a number of B2B cruises where on the second cruise we tire of the menu or just the amount of time it takes in the dining room so we will go to the buffet. Sometimes we have had an all day excursion so we do not want to take the time to get dressed up for dinner.  We actually enjoy the slower pace and the lack of crowds at the buffet. It’s a different experience from breakfast and lunch. 

Thank you! I was curious because on Disney they don't really have much choice. Seemed like every time I tried to go to the buffet, it was closed. I'm just excited it'll actually be open for dinner! Leaves more time to explore that drink package! 

Plus, frankly, I hate dressing up. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

lol no worries you aren’t the first. Pretty sure my husband wouldn’t mind looking like him. 

This is my husband, guess the complexion is similar but nothing else 😂

Nice picture of both of the guys.   He looks a little different from you profile pix. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Naeva said:

Not going to lie, I thought the same thing for a long time! I'm still new to the boards and have been gobbling up live reports, thank you all for doing them. I especially love the pictures! They really help me get in the mood to cruise!

While I have only done it once when Iain was not feeling well.   The buffet in the evenings is definitely an option.   On the past recent cruises I went up and took a look at what was on offer.    I would not have a problem at all finding something.   They also have a grill station, pasta station etc...

• Like 1

Can’t remember the last time I ate in the MDR on a cruise! Much prefer the relaxed atmosphere in the buffet for dinner, pick and choose what I want to eat, and how much, at our own pace. And at a table for two, so not hanging around or inconveniencing anyone as we don’t eat starters. Perfectly acceptable. Bear in mind that the choice at dinner in the buffet is not as extensive as the lunchtime offering, but it is a lot quieter.

( disclaimer, I do like to dress up a bit, but OH hates it, so he wears his usual casual stuff, chinos and a shirt, and I wear a frock or sequins on formal night!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Can’t remember the last time I ate in the MDR on a cruise! Much prefer the relaxed atmosphere in the buffet for dinner, pick and choose what I want to eat, and how much, at our own pace. And at a table for two, so not hanging around or inconveniencing anyone as we don’t eat starters. Perfectly acceptable. Bear in mind that the choice at dinner in the buffet is not as extensive as the lunchtime offering, but it is a lot quieter.

( disclaimer, I do like to dress up a bit, but OH hates it, so he wears his usual casual stuff, chinos and a shirt, and I wear a frock or sequins on formal night!)

Same, wife and I can't be bothered with all the faff needed to go to MDR most of the time, plus we like to eat early and comfortably make any shows we want to see.

We'll only do MDR if the menu ticks both our boxes on all 3 courses.

When in Aquaclass though, then we are almost always in Blu, haha.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 4:17 PM, Naeva said:

is it reasonable to just hit the buffet every night instead of the main dining room?

Yes, it is.

The last years, we've only done buffet for dinner, to the point that we got a call from the Concierge, asking us "why you don't show up for dinner"?

I've told her that we don't like spending so much time at dinner, which sometimes takes "forever".

She asked us to give them a "chance"... so we went at "lobster night", and she came along to make sure we'll be "out" quickly 😁😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Yes, it is.

The last years, we've only done buffet for dinner, to the point that we got a call from the Concierge, asking us "why you don't show up for dinner"?

I've told her that we don't like spending so much time at dinner, which sometimes takes "forever".

She asked us to give them a "chance"... so we went at "lobster night", and she came along to make sure we'll be "out" quickly 😁😁

Oof, they give you grief for not going? Hah, it's hard enough for me to talk to you nice internet strangers, I certainly don't want to sit with new people and eat dinner. Plus, honestly, it takes so long and I have other stuff I need to be doing. (Ok, that "stuff" might be trying out new cocktails, but that's still a thing to do!)

I think I'll just tell my concierge we're not into it early on. Maybe that will quiet it down. Not sure why they'd need to push it though. 

• Like 1