MERGED Missing ship on purpose

You've had information that it might be possible but you will need permission but the actual practicalities might rule it out. E.g catching up with the ship at the next stop in Italy or Spain is very different to going from Southampton to London and then on to somewhere else.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, milamber said:

Yes, we've done it several times across different cruise lines. As long as you let the ship know in advance it shouldn't be a problem. Never has been for us

Thank you, thank you, I knew other people had to have done this in the past.

5 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

You've had information that it might be possible but you will need permission but the actual practicalities might rule it out. E.g catching up with the ship at the next stop in Italy or Spain is very different to going from Southampton to London and then on to somewhere else.

I very much appreciate the feedback.  Next port is across the channel, so distance and ability to reach port the next day is not an issue.

8 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Not really an invader, have dual citizenship.

You might have dual citienship but you will not have passed thru official customs and immigration. 

If you do go ahead with this plan, please report back here of your experience. Inquiring minds want to know how it went.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Then there's the financial part of this.  I know of a couple who did this very thing on a Carnival Cruise.  They were charged several hundred dollars per person to "re-board" the ship at a later port.  I don't know if it's a cruise line policy or a policy of a particular country, though.

Edited by graphicguy

10 minutes ago, Oviedo32765 said:

You might have dual citienship but you will not have passed thru official customs and immigration. 

If you do go ahead with this plan, please report back here of your experience. Inquiring minds want to know how it went.

I will certainly do so,   🙂

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Then there's the financial part of this.  I know of a couple who did this very thing on a Carnival Cruise.  They were charged several hundred dollars per person to "re-board" the ship at a later port.  I don't know if it's a cruise line policy or a policy of a particular country, though.

Interesting, do you know what the added charges were for?

The cruise is a Norwegian one and the ports are Tilbury and Zeebrugge.  My thoughts are, we'll catch the show and then fly to Brussels and rejoin the ship the following evening.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

The cruise is a Norwegian one and the ports are Tilbury and Zeebrugge.  My thoughts are, we'll catch the show and then fly to Brussels and rejoin the ship the following evening.

It sounds to me that you should be able to get permission from the ship for this. I don't know if the fact that you go from out of EU into EU would complicate things, but apart from that it should be doable. But I cannot stress enough that you MUST have permission.
Those charges mentioned in an earlier reply was probably due to that person NOT having cleared thing with the ship ahead of time and just failed to appear at sailoff. Causing the stuff I mentioned in my first reply. I even think the ship gets hit with fine if passenger manifest shows missing passengers, but that's just what I have heard. If they do they certainly pass that cost onto the offending passenger!6

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

Interesting, do you know what the added charges were for?

It actually happened to my sister who thought she could just stay at a port and catch the ship the next day at a different port.  IIRC, she informed someone on the ship, but not sure who.  When she rejoined the ship, the ship's bursar informed her there was a charge to reboard.  $500/pp sticks in my mind.  She was surprised the charge was that high as they told her of the charge but she assumed it was a few dollars.

Don't recall if it was a port fee or the cruise line's fee.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

When a cruise ship docks at a port, immigration is conducted based on the idea that you are entering, and leaving, the country on the ship. That's why VISA requirements for cruise ship visits can be different than a land vacation. If you miss the ship, for whatever reason, you are now in the country illegally. For people that are just late getting back to the ship, the port agent will meet them and assist with proper procedures and to assist with catching up to the ship (<cough> reason for having a passport <cough>). If you make arrangements with the cruise line to do this, they will work with immigration to allow for this. The only person that can tell you if you can do this is the cruise line you are considering. Some cruise lines just point blank don't allow this. 

If you intend to do this yourself, without telling anyone, you might have an issue leaving the country you stay in. If proper procedures weren't followed, you will find that they will not have proper record of you entering the country to allow you to leave it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

It sounds to me that you should be able to get permission from the ship for this. I don't know if the fact that you go from out of EU into EU would complicate things, but apart from that it should be doable. But I cannot stress enough that you MUST have permission.
Those charges mentioned in an earlier reply was probably due to that person NOT having cleared thing with the ship ahead of time and just failed to appear at sailoff. Causing the stuff I mentioned in my first reply. I even think the ship gets hit with fine if passenger manifest shows missing passengers, but that's just what I have heard. If they do they certainly pass that cost onto the offending passenger!6

Thanks, great points. 

22 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

When a cruise ship docks at a port, immigration is conducted based on the idea that you are entering, and leaving, the country on the ship. That's why VISA requirements for cruise ship visits can be different than a land vacation. If you miss the ship, for whatever reason, you are now in the country illegally. For people that are just late getting back to the ship, the port agent will meet them and assist with proper procedures and to assist with catching up to the ship (<cough> reason for having a passport <cough>). If you make arrangements with the cruise line to do this, they will work with immigration to allow for this. The only person that can tell you if you can do this is the cruise line you are considering. Some cruise lines just point blank don't allow this. 

If you intend to do this yourself, without telling anyone, you might have an issue leaving the country you stay in. If proper procedures weren't followed, you will find that they will not have proper record of you entering the country to allow you to leave it. 

I’m going to reach out to NCL this week and will let everyone know the outcome. 

Since you said that you have dual nationality (and probably 2 passports), if you board the ship with one passport (Canadian?), and the leave the ship and then reappear having used your 2nd passport (EU country?), it could raise alarm bells in customs/immigration land, or maybe Interpol.  Were you running illegal contraband from the time you got off the ship until the time you showed up at the next international port?  I would be prepared to answer such questions.

If you want to try to more forward with this scheme, at least see if the cruise line will allow you.  Please don't do it on the sly.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

If proper procedures weren't followed, you will find that they will not have proper record of you entering the country to allow you to leave it. 

A few years ago someone did this in Jamaica. At first foul play was suspected but it turned out they missed the ship on purpose. Jamaica found them and charged them with illegal entry.

• Like 1

Absolutely set this up ahead of time.  If you don't, you will at a minimum be inconveniencing all the other passengers when the ship waits (however long it's going to wait) to see if you return, and there could be additional hassles if the ship a) leaves anything with the port agent where you departed, and b) deactivates your card, closes your accounts, etc.

My Dad did this (quite a few years ago now) on a cruise to Norway - it was an unusual itinerary where the ship stopped at city A, went on to city B, and returned to city A.  We have relatives in city A, so Dad thought he'd stay with them in-between the ship stops.  My only advice was to make sure the ship crew knew and approved of his plan - he did, and had no problems.  But that was some time ago, things may have changed.

The ship crew also needs to know because of (as noted above) customs/immigration regulations, and there could be restrictions like the US's PVSA to be considered. (The PVSA itself applies only if you get on in one US port and off in another, but other jurisdictions might have their own rules.) Also keep in mind the possibility that the ship may need to skip your planned reboarding port for weather or other reasons.

You must want to see that play really badly, considering the hoops you will have to jump through. You MUST get advance Authorization from the cruise line so that they can adjust their manifest and arrange Immigration at your UK port. Plus pay the admin fee. Then of course there's the expense of meals and hotel in London. Add in the cost of the Eurostar to Brussels and the connecting train to Zeebrugge. BTW, it's likely much faster to take the train than to fly. You only need to be at St Pancras 90 min before the train leaves, vs 3 hours before a flight. It's 2 hours to Brussels ( there is also a 1 hour time change), then 1.5+ hours to Zeebrugge (which you would need to take even if you flew).

• Like 1

Non EU to EU is becoming a nightmare at immigration. The last time I did it I got my passport stamped and I can't remember how long  previously, that happened. They are getting quite stringent!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Okay, has anyone ever intentionally missed ship in port on purpose?  On an upcoming cruise we’d like to spend more time in one port than allowed.  Is there much of an issue if we stay and then either fly or take the train to the next port?

When you have the ability to advise the cruise line/ship in advance of your desire to remain ashore and re-join at a subsequent port, I see no need to intentionally missing the ship.

Without knowing specific details of embarkation/disembarkation ports, the ship's Flag and itinerary, it is impossible to know all the potential issues with deliberately missing the ship. Depending on the ship's Flag, you could have potential Cabotage Law infractions, which can incur significant fines. The ship may also assess fees for making changes to the manifest, especially if it was determined you planned to miss the ship.

Depending on the country, you also have potential immigration issues, as the ship requested clearance for pax to spend the day ashore and depart the same day. Deliberately staying longer contravenes the ship's clearance and may be subject to fines, or worse.

Since most Masters will delay departure and the crew normally retrieve and land ashore passports, documents, etc it is a major inconvenience to the Master, ship's crew and all pax that followed the rules. This proposed plan would be "Bad Form"

• Thanks 2

As an example of doing this sort of thing intentionally and with permission from the cruise line, back in 2017 there was a "Road Scholar" group [about 100 members] embarking the QM2 in Brooklyn for a customized round trip sailing.

On the eastbound crossing, they had their own series of D Day related presentations [I think in one of the tender lounges].

The group disembarked in Southampton, but were able to leave luggage [e.g. formal wear] on board. For the next three segments [Southampton to Hamburg, Hamburg to Southampton & Southampton to LeHavre] the group had their own land based tours [I think the London war room, then Portsmouth or Dover, then 3 days in Normandy] before rejoining the ship for the westbound crossing. 

It likely helped that Cunard had the multiple segments available as separate 'voyages' instead of having only a single bookable round trip sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a few factors that would impact our answer (based on personal experience).  1.  What country/countries.  and 2. Which cruise line.  Without that info, it is impossible to give any decent advice.

Hank

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Since you said that you have dual nationality (and probably 2 passports), if you board the ship with one passport (Canadian?), and the leave the ship and then reappear having used your 2nd passport (EU country?), it could raise alarm bells in customs/immigration land, or maybe Interpol.  Were you running illegal contraband from the time you got off the ship until the time you showed up at the next international port?  I would be prepared to answer such questions.

If you want to try to more forward with this scheme, at least see if the cruise line will allow you.  Please don't do it on the sly.

Following up with NCL, thanks. 

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

A few years ago someone did this in Jamaica. At first foul play was suspected but it turned out they missed the ship on purpose. Jamaica found them and charged them with illegal entry.

A little different, I have no intention of staying.  Nonetheless I’ll see what NCL says. 

3 hours ago, OddHack said:

Absolutely set this up ahead of time.  If you don't, you will at a minimum be inconveniencing all the other passengers when the ship waits (however long it's going to wait) to see if you return, and there could be additional hassles if the ship a) leaves anything with the port agent where you departed, and b) deactivates your card, closes your accounts, etc.

My Dad did this (quite a few years ago now) on a cruise to Norway - it was an unusual itinerary where the ship stopped at city A, went on to city B, and returned to city A.  We have relatives in city A, so Dad thought he'd stay with them in-between the ship stops.  My only advice was to make sure the ship crew knew and approved of his plan - he did, and had no problems.  But that was some time ago, things may have changed.

The ship crew also needs to know because of (as noted above) customs/immigration regulations, and there could be restrictions like the US's PVSA to be considered. (The PVSA itself applies only if you get on in one US port and off in another, but other jurisdictions might have their own rules.) Also keep in mind the possibility that the ship may need to skip your planned reboarding port for weather or other reasons.

Thanks, good advice.  We’d see family in London too but leave same night for Brussels.  I’ll see what feedback NCL provides.