Sydney Airport Hotel Recommendation

We need one night after our cruise to stay at an airport hotel.  The Novotel and Moxy have been ruled out.  The Novotel has mixed reviews and the Moxy's room are too small. We cannot walk our luggage to the airport from the Rydges hotel and I wonder if the shuttle will be available at the close distance to the terminal.  So,  I'd love to have other recommendations please.  We have to get to the airport by 6:30 am.

1 hour ago, Carol28 said:

We need one night after our cruise to stay at an airport hotel.  The Novotel and Moxy have been ruled out.  The Novotel has mixed reviews and the Moxy's room are too small. We cannot walk our luggage to the airport from the Rydges hotel and I wonder if the shuttle will be available at the close distance to the terminal.  So,  I'd love to have other recommendations please.  We have to get to the airport by 6:30 am.

Holiday inn airport.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Holiday inn airport.

I think there are two Holiday Inn Hotels near the airport. Are you recommending the one that is an IHG hotel?  I do appreciate your input.

I think there are two Holiday Inn Hotels near the airport. Are you recommending the one that is an IHG hotel?  I do appreciate your input.

They are both IHG managed. Personally for me, the original Holiday Inn - Hotel | Holiday Inn Sydney Airport | Mascot (holidayinn-sydneyairport.com)

The other used to be the Stamford, now Holiday Inn express Holiday Inn Express Sydney Airport - Mascot, (ihg.com)

Both are serviced by airport shuttles. We have stayed at both, mostly depending on the deal of the day. The first one is a short walk to Mascot rail station for easy transit to/from the city.

• Like 1

Most of the hotels around the airport (Mascot area) are serviced by an airport shuttle, all charge a small fee for the trip. Note that if you have to be at the airport for an early flight (prior to 9am), the shuttle service may not be available as yet if you are allowing the 3 hours before the flight, I seem to remember it starting at 5.30am.

I have used the CKS Sydney Airport Hotel many times. Its very reasonable priced and 5 mins to international terminal. The Novotel Sydney is also close by but is a little more up market although they are both rated 4*. They use the same shuttle which is cheap, regular and timely to meet all flights.

We stayed at the Rydges Sydney International Airport twice and from memory it's right over the road from the entrance to the terminal.  Is my memory dodgy?  Anyway, I was wondering why if you can transport your luggage from the shuttle stop to the terminal, you can't transport it from Rydges?  If it's a real issue to travel even a short distance, perhaps one of you could dash over the road and grab a trolley to put the suitcases on.  Just a suggestion, I think the Rydges is really nice and I enjoyed our overnighters there.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Carol28 said:

There’s a supermarket,some restaurants and most importantly a train station 5 minutes walk away you can go back into Sydney.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/sydney/sydbr/hoteldetail

22 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

If it's a real issue to travel even a short distance, perhaps one of you could dash over the road and grab a trolley to put the suitcases on. 

Is that a possibility?  I read somewhere that the walk is through parking lots.  We'd be all in for the Rydges.  BUT, will a taxi pick us up if it's raining?  I don't think that's feasible.  What do you think?

Is that a possibility?  I read somewhere that the walk is through parking lots.  We'd be all in for the Rydges.  BUT, will a taxi pick us up if it's raining?  I don't think that's feasible.  What do you think?

It is about 50m (150 ft) from the terminal exit to the hotel. Mostly under cover, so rain wouldn't be much of an issue, except for crossing the road.

Screenshot_20240719-073815_Maps.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it's very much feasible - see @MicCanberra's informative post #10 just below mine.  I doubt you'd be able to get a taxi to take you 50m even if it was teaming with rain.  Almost take longer to get your luggage and yourselves in than it would to drive there.  I am presuming that neither of you is disabled / wheelchair bound?

Posted (edited)

Rydges definitely for International flights. We last stayed there in May and is was raining heavy. Had very little issues. For domestic we have chosen (this time) to stay at Meriton Mascot. Apparently 5 minute walk to station or 20 minutes via Uber.

The only problem we have had with either Holiday Inns, is if you miss the shuttles, taxis are very reluctant and rude to take you to the hotel.

Edited by resordanis
Addition information

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

It is about 50m (150 ft) from the terminal exit

I do no have enough complimentary words to tell you how helpful you are!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

I am presuming that neither of you is disabled / wheelchair bound?

We're both able.  Thank you for your response!

• Like 2

Definitely Rydges, an easy  walk across the road at the far end of the concourse once you come out of Customs (head towards train lifts but turn left when you see them to get outside under covered ramp .

Even if raining it is covered except for actual road crossing and wheeling bags is no problem, all flat.

We have stayed there countless times, I find booking as far ahead as you can and being an Accor member( free) you get the best rates.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hamwen3839 said:

Definitely Rydges, an easy  walk across the road at the far end of the concourse once you come out of Customs (head towards train lifts but turn left when you see them to get outside under covered ramp .

Even if raining it is covered except for actual road crossing and wheeling bags is no problem, all flat.

We have stayed there countless times, I find booking as far ahead as you can and being an Accor member( free) you get the best rates.

That is what we do also, unless travelling with others, then we get av2 or 3 bedroom apartment at the Adina Apartments Mascot, the shuttle works services there as well.

• Like 1

Done!  Thank you all for your help.  And, we booked a room where we can watch the planes as my DH loves to do that.  I'm assuming that the rooms are soundproof. After our time on the cruise, we probably will not venture back to the city.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have stayed at Rydges Airport twice and booked again for February 2025.

I am a wheelchair user, and hubby loads our luggage onto our large shower lifter which is a perfect trolley!      

Got a little damp running across the road when it rained but hey, small issue really, considering the convenience.

Found the pricing better than getting into the city the day before the cruise as the prices in CBD were nearly double!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 2022cruisey said:

Can you walk from any of the hotels to the domestic terminal?

Well, that depends how far you’re willing to walk. 😉

I have walked from the Ibis Budget to the Domestic Terminal with luggage but I wouldn’t particularly recommend it. 

• Thanks 1

I am weighing up whether it would be easier to stay at Mercure Central station and catch a train for an early morning Sunday domestic flight - need to be there by 7am or stay at the airport.  From what I’ve read having to pay for the shuttle from a hotel nearby and rely on the vagaries of the hotel staff may be less reliable.

24 minutes ago, 2022cruisey said:

I am weighing up whether it would be easier to stay at Mercure Central station and catch a train for an early morning Sunday domestic flight - need to be there by 7am or stay at the airport.  From what I’ve read having to pay for the shuttle from a hotel nearby and rely on the vagaries of the hotel staff may be less reliable.

I have had no issues with the hotel shuttle from Holiday Inn at Mascot. The same company also provide flight crew shuttles, and that would be awkward if they were too unreliable. The shuttles start at 5am, so timing isn't a problem. I guess it comes down to price - the shuttles are cheaper than the airport train stations, but that only works in your favour if the hotel is the same price or cheaper. If the Mecure is cheaper, you will be in front.

I have walked to the Domestic terminal from the Stamford Plaza. It was easy enough, but I was in my fit 40's with just a laptop case and the sun was shining. I figure it was close to 1km, and there were many others doing the same.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2024 at 7:01 AM, arxcards said:

They are both IHG managed. Personally for me, the original Holiday Inn - Hotel | Holiday Inn Sydney Airport | Mascot (holidayinn-sydneyairport.com)

The other used to be the Stamford, now Holiday Inn express Holiday Inn Express Sydney Airport - Mascot, (ihg.com)

Both are serviced by airport shuttles. We have stayed at both, mostly depending on the deal of the day. The first one is a short walk to Mascot rail station for easy transit to/from the city.

My error. I thought the Holiday Inn Express had taken over from the Stamford, but they are neighbours. On that basis, I haven't stayed at Holiday Inn Express, but the original Holiday Inn and the Stamford.

• Like 1