Hotel under 400 per night when sailing out of Manhattan

Eno

Will be driving to New York and staying 2 - 3 nights before the cruise and will need a hotel with parking.  Will be driving from the hotel and will park at the cruise port. Since will be coming from Canada and with the exchange rate trying to keep the costs down.  Read through the forum and looked at some hotels recommended but Manhattan hotel parking is very expensive and most only valet.  Started looking at some of the hotels in Jersey City and parking isn't as expensive and could find hotels within budget.  Since there are three adults in the room need a room that has a sofa bed.  Hyatt looks nice but doesn't have a sofa bed but sounds like a rollaway could be brought in.  Doubletree does have rooms that have a sofa bed and also appears to be nice.  Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Museum are the main things we want to do.  Better suggestions for area to stay?

We did this a few years ago, driving from Montreal. As you say, parking and hotels in Manhattan are astoundingly expensive, especially for us Canadians. We decided to stay in Weehawken NJ, directly across the Hudson from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. There is a very decent Residence Inn and an Envue, both Marriott properties, colocated in the same building with one of the parking garages for the NY/NJ ferry terminal, which is directly across the street. Easy ferry ride crossing the Hudson and you end up in mid-town Manhattan, about a 15 minutes walk from the MCT.  All in all, not as convenient as staying in Manhattan, but FAR cheaper.

• Thanks 1

If you are going to be touring Manhattan, it makes more sense to stay in Manhattan. However, your car is the issue. Not sure on the scheduling, but have you considered taking Amtrak to NYC, and then back after the cruise?

Posted (edited)

Hotel rates vary widely based on date. Without knowing your specific dates it's impossible to make specific recommendations...but as a general rule because of your need to park a car you would probably be better off staying in NJ at a hotel in Weehawken or Jersey City that has easy access to Manhattan via ferry or PATH train.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

If you are going to be touring Manhattan, it makes more sense to stay in Manhattan. However, your car is the issue. Not sure on the scheduling, but have you considered taking Amtrak to NYC, and then back after the cruise?

The OP stated they wanted to do the SOL and Ellis island, it’s nice getting there from Jersey City, easy plentiful parking, and the security and ferry lines are shorter. It’s going to cost $50+ a night to park in nyc on top of high hotel costs. ETA you can even take the ferry from liberty state park to the islands, hop on the nyc ferry to manhattan, and then take public transportation back to the hotel.

Edited by mjkacmom

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

The OP stated they wanted to do the SOL and Ellis island, it’s nice getting there from Jersey City, easy plentiful parking, and the security and ferry lines are shorter. It’s going to cost $50+ a night to park in nyc on top of high hotel costs. ETA you can even take the ferry from liberty state park to the islands, hop on the nyc ferry to manhattan, and then take public transportation back to the hotel.

I'm asking if the OP has considered not taking their car and taking the train from up north to NYC instead.

3 hours ago, Eno said:

Will be driving to New York and staying 2 - 3 nights before the cruise and will need a hotel with parking.  Will be driving from the hotel and will park at the cruise port. Since will be coming from Canada and with the exchange rate trying to keep the costs down. 

Parking at a hotel in Manhattan will be $75-100 a night just for the car. If you want to contain costs figure out a way to keep the car out of Manhattan or just fly. Between 3 nights parking and then parking at the cruise port has to come close to flying 3 adults round trip. 

45 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I'm asking if the OP has considered not taking their car and taking the train from up north to NYC instead.

Right but if they’re main objective is the SOL it’s cheaper to stay in NJ and a nicer trip to the SOL from NJ than NY, plus a trip into the city is so easy from the SOL. 

It will be a drive of less than 7 hours for us. Would need to pay to leave the car at the airport, less than cruise port though.  NJ is looking like the best option for us. Would be the very end of May after Memorial Day weekend. 

Dates are KEY.  We've paid $109 in January for a room that is $375 in September.  Give us exact dates and how many beds you need if you want specific advice.  Also let us know if you are ok with subway, there are great options that require a 10-15 train ride to get to attractions

Hotels in October in New Orleans were 250.00 per night, we happen to be there a few days ahead of cruise, they jumped to $900.00- $1200.00 same hotel. Taylor Swift happens to be in town same three nights.  Talk about Surge pricing. Hopefully, burgers, drinks, cabs etc are more reasonable.  Had I know I’d have changed weeks. Live and learn.  

Three nights, Wednesday to Saturday starting May 28.  1 King or 2 doubles and a sofa bed.  Expect to take train/ferry/subway to get around. Residence Inn in Weehawken NJ looks good, like the idea of using the ferry and parking there while on the cruise. Or something in Jersey City.  Looks like I have a few options within my budget.  Was concerned about the areas I was looking at but as I continue reading reviews and older posts on this forum both sound like good options.  

A few more comments about Weehawken. It's a very busy ferry stop so there are many sailings each day, 7 days a week. Some of the other ferry terminals don't have quite as good a schedule. Cost was $US9/pp each way to and from Manhattan, and the trip takes about 8 minutes. The Residence Inn and the Envue are in the same building as one of the ferry parking garages, and there is another ferry parking garage one block north that was $2/day cheaper. The garages aren't very full on weekends. The area around the hotel is pretty upscale and new. If you are considering staying in NJ, be sure to check the ferry schedules from the terminal you may want to use.

Thank You for the great advice.  Cost of the hotel and cost for parking look good and also the ferry for transportation.  Good to know about the surrounding area as have never been to the New York area.

I'll agree that many of the areas in NJ can be a bit dicey, but the area immediately around the Weehawken ferry terminal and the two hotels is very yuppy and gentrified, modern and new with lots of condos etc. There's even a decent restaurant in the ground floor of the hotel with an outdoor terrace (in season of course) offering absolutely killer views of the west-side Manhattan skyline

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 8:49 AM, lx200gps said:

I'll agree that many of the areas in NJ can be a bit dicey, but the area immediately around the Weehawken ferry terminal and the two hotels is very yuppy and gentrified, modern and new with lots of condos etc. There's even a decent restaurant in the ground floor of the hotel with an outdoor terrace (in season of course) offering absolutely killer views of the west-side Manhattan skyline

Is the area around Lincoln Harbor ferry terminal nice too? Also can we bring luggage on the ferry?

3 hours ago, decrepit old man said:

Is the area around Lincoln Harbor ferry terminal nice too? Also can we bring luggage on the ferry?

Is the Lincoln Harbor ferry terminal the one next to the big Sheraton? We did look into the Sheraton as well, but if that's the ferry terminal you are thinking about, the reason why we left it out of consideration was because the ferry schedule out of Lincoln Harbor was MUCH less frequent and usable than from Weehawken.  According to Google Street View the area around the Lincoln Harbor ferry terminal does look quite built up and modern, but I can't speak to parking, restaurants etc.

As to luggage on the ferry, absolutely. The ferries we took between Weehawken and Manhattan were huge and very conducive to carrying luggage. Flat surfaces, easy gentle ramps, no steps,  lots of seating etc. There are even some Youtube videos of the ferries showing passengers leaving with their suitcases. Very easy. When we took the ferries it was between 8 and 9AM on a Sunday to the ferries were empty.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Is the Lincoln Harbor ferry terminal the one next to the big Sheraton? We did look into the Sheraton as well, but if that's the ferry terminal you are thinking about, the reason why we left it out of consideration was because the ferry schedule out of Lincoln Harbor was MUCH less frequent and usable than from Weehawken.  According to Google Street View the area around the Lincoln Harbor ferry terminal does look quite built up and modern, but I can't speak to parking, restaurants etc.

As to luggage on the ferry, absolutely. The ferries we took between Weehawken and Manhattan were huge and very conducive to carrying luggage. Flat surfaces, easy gentle ramps, no steps,  lots of seating etc. There are even some Youtube videos of the ferries showing passengers leaving with their suitcases. Very easy. When we took the ferries it was between 8 and 9AM on a Sunday to the ferries were empty.

Yes it's the one next to the Sheraton. Is the schedule really that less frequent? I checked the website and it shows there's a ferry every 20 minutes, same as Port Imperial/Weehawken.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, decrepit old man said:

Yes it's the one next to the Sheraton. Is the schedule really that less frequent? I checked the website and it shows there's a ferry every 20 minutes, same as Port Imperial/Weehawken.

Fair enough, looks like the ferry service starts at 9:55AM on weekends. I had thought that I chose Port Imperial over Lincoln Harbor because of the schedule, but I think I am mistaken. Looking at the NY Waterways site,  I am reminded that I probably chose Port Imperial/Residence Inn over the Lincoln Harbor/Sheraton because there is no parking lot for ferry passengers at LH, which we absolutely needed, whereas there are two big covered garages at Port Imperial, one of which is in the same building as the two hotels. We stayed in Weehawken specifically because we would park there at half the cost of parking in Manhattan.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 1

Thank you for everyone posting in this tread. I know nothing about getting around NY but just booked Residence Inn Weehawken Port Imperial.

If you get on the 10am ferry is that plenty of time to get to the port if like to get on early?  I'm looking to join NCL cruise and never done the ferry.  Need reservations for the ferry?  It looks like it's a 20 min walk afterwards which isn't a problem but wonder about the wheels on the luggage.  Would it be easy to catch an Uber or taxi after the ferry?  Or hard b/c no one wants such a short ride?

Anyone at this location just decide to get in a taxi/uber to begin with from the hotel and not that bad of an option?  Thanks.

walk.jpg

40 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Thank you for everyone posting in this tread. I know nothing about getting around NY but just booked Residence Inn Weehawken Port Imperial.

If you get on the 10am ferry is that plenty of time to get to the port if like to get on early?  I'm looking to join NCL cruise and never done the ferry.  Need reservations for the ferry?  It looks like it's a 20 min walk afterwards which isn't a problem but wonder about the wheels on the luggage.  Would it be easy to catch an Uber or taxi after the ferry?  Or hard b/c no one wants such a short ride?

Anyone at this location just decide to get in a taxi/uber to begin with from the hotel and not that bad of an option?  Thanks.

walk.jpg

It's a dead easy process. The ferry at Port Imperial is literally right across the street from the Residence Inn (excellent hotel BTW, big rooms and very well located). No ferry reservation needed, there are machines to hand out the tickets. The Port Imperial terminal is a big, busy one with LOTS of ferries. If you are going over early, as we did, the ferry will not be very full. The last time we did it we went over around 9AM  and there couldn't have been more than 10 people on the whole ship.  Ferry ride is about 8-9 minutes, and the walk is an easy 15 minutes up the very flat Hudson Greenway no-cars-allowed pedestrian walkway to the ship. Just watch out for the maniac cyclists ;o) We walked it with each of us lugging a large and a small rolling suitcase with no issues whatsoever. If you are in any way healthy and mobile, an Uber is definitely not necessary, and the driver probably won't be very happy taking you the few hundred yards from the ferry terminal to Pier 88.  Have a great trip...

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the responses.  I do see it's directly across but maps showed a little more south as to where the ferry lets out. First ferry ride around 10 on the weekend so we'll be on that one I assume.

I'm not worried about the walk in that we are able bodied but .8 mile could feel long if it's raining or a wheel breaks.  I'm more thinking of my luggage lol.  We'll plan to walk it, thanks!

4 hours ago, SAmome said:

Thanks so much for the responses.  I do see it's directly across but maps showed a little more south as to where the ferry lets out. First ferry ride around 10 on the weekend so we'll be on that one I assume.

I'm not worried about the walk in that we are able bodied but .8 mile could feel long if it's raining or a wheel breaks.  I'm more thinking of my luggage lol.  We'll plan to walk it, thanks!

The hotel and Port Imperial terminal are pretty much directly across the Hudson from Pier 88, but you are right, the ferry veers south to the terminal at 39th St., forcing the 15 minute walk back north to Pier 88.

I would re-check the Port Imperial ferry schedule. When I look, it shows the first weekend ferry leaves Port Imperial to cross over to 39th St/Midtown at 8AM, and the first weekday ferry leaves at 6AM

https://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenRoute.aspx#weekend