Anyone having problems cruising today?

Just now, irishgal432 said:

So people could not get off? Are your flights affected?

Correct.  They were stuck on the ship for a while.  We walked off at 6:45.  Our flights were not affected.  Luckily British Airways did not use the affected software. Currently at 35000 feet and under 2 hours remaining.

Cruising power is back on line. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I haven't read all these posts but unless something new has happened this has been over since this morning.

Catch up is taking a long time. Delta is especially hard hit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were to be flying in to Athens and landing tomorrow (Saturday) for our Sunday departure. No idea what’s next but I am hoping they have us on a flight tomorrow and we make the cruise. 

11 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

This is why you fly in the day before.

Friday is the day before if it is a Saturday cruise.

• Like 1

Although its over at the server level from Microsoft, this hit individual machines at thousands of companies.  Caused a good old fashioned blue screen of death on any machine running Windows 10 with Crowdstrike set to auto recieve security patches.

Those of us in IT are saying this is what Y2K was supposed to be like, but we fixed that before it happened.  Thankfully we left Atlanta a few hours before things blew up!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Friday is the day before if it is a Saturday cruise.

Correct.  The OP asked "Anyone having problems cruising today" so the day before would be yesterday. 

10 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Reason last 22+ yrs I've always flown in 2 days early, sh..tuff happens

We usually fly in a day early but we got better rates flying in two days early for our Alaska cruise. I'm so glad we did. We fly out tomorrow evening. Praying all goes well for everyone. 

Apparently many people missed boarding Explorer of the Seas out of Ravenna.  The ship delayed leaving port until 6:30 to try to give people more time, but could not stay any longer.

22 hours ago, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

Normally I would agree but I know this has affected flights even the day BEFORE a cruise. I was personally affected by this and was going in a day early. This is also likely going to affect the people flying in the day of. Already saw the majority of flights blacked out on Google, Southwest, and American. 

Actually SW was not impacted by the problem because their computer system was running a very old operating system (DOS 3.1) which was released in 1985  instead of the newer systems.  For the same reason but maybe a different operating system FedEx was also not impacted.  

As a totally and mostly irrelevant aside I read recently that the underlying operating systems for many financial and governmental systems today is still COBOL.  Remember COBOL.  It was released in 1959 and standardized in 1968.

DON

• Like 1

19 hours ago, clo said:

I haven't read all these posts but unless something new has happened this has been over since this morning.

The computer problem might have been fixed but the transportation mess will continue for at least several days considering that many planes may not be where they need to be and planes that are or will be flying were probably fully booked.   We obviously have a very fragile intercommunications system out there.

DON

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Actually SW was not impacted by the problem because their computer system was running a very old operating system (DOS 3.1) which was released in 1985  instead of the newer systems.  For the same reason but maybe a different operating system FedEx was also not impacted.  

FedEx may not have been using the impacted software at all.  It was not a problem with Microsoft itself, but an interaction between one specific anti-virus system and Windows 10-11.

The other reason many companies got impacted was if they were using Microsoft Azure for cloud housing - as Microsoft itself used the affected software, so their entire backbone was a victim.  But if a company used AWS or did not use cloud hosting at all, they were fine.  My organization only lost their email services from Office 365 until Microsoft got everything fixed on their end.

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The computer problem might have been fixed but the transportation mess will continue for at least several days considering that many planes may not be where they need to be and planes that are or will be flying were probably fully booked.   We obviously have a very fragile intercommunications system out there.

DON

Yes. And way more than just transportation. I saw that the company rushes things in the 'market' rather than a little at a time as most do. Crash.

1 hour ago, MMOcruiser said:

FedEx may not have been using the impacted software at all.  It was not a problem with Microsoft itself, but an interaction between one specific anti-virus system and Windows 10-11.

The other reason many companies got impacted was if they were using Microsoft Azure for cloud housing - as Microsoft itself used the affected software, so their entire backbone was a victim.  But if a company used AWS or did not use cloud hosting at all, they were fine.  My organization only lost their email services from Office 365 until Microsoft got everything fixed on their end.

Alaska Airlines doesn't use them and was affected. Main airline out of Seattle.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2024 at 7:16 AM, debenson0723 said:

This is why you fly in the day before.

Two days domestic, three to Europe! There may be places we would add additional day(s). I read someone's formula of adding a day for every "leg" (flight) in your itinerary.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, donaldsc said:

As a totally and mostly irrelevant aside I read recently that the underlying operating systems for many financial and governmental systems today is still COBOL.  Remember COBOL.  It was released in 1959 and standardized in 1968.

DON

I know SW said that but it was still affected. I tried doing dummy bookings on their website and everything was blacked out saying UNVAILABLE. 

• Like 1

On Friday in Seattle, there were many more 'no show' passengers than on a typical cruise day. The Royal and Celebrity sailed a bit later, and the terminal doors were left open to wait for some late/delayed arriving passengers.   We heard from some passengers that the cruise lines did proactively reach out to at least some passengers and offered FCC for missing the cruise due to the global software glitch.  Not sure if it was all passengers, or just the ones booked on flights thru the cruise lines. 

There even was late/delayed sailing on Saturday (the day after the software glitch), as passengers were still trying to rebook their cancelled Friday flights and get whatever flight to Seattle on Saturday to board their ship.  HAL sailed about 2.5 hours after their scheduled sail-a-way time of 3 PM to accommodate late/delayed passengers. 

• Like 2