Just Back From Enchanted Princess

4 minutes ago, 555 said:

I haven't heard about any dress differences yet with anytime or traditional dining rooms. I really hope that they don't segregate people and then have different menus in each DR or we'll be back to the same old problems we had before.

what problems were those?

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

Oh no- We had a good time, it just wasn’t a memorable cruise . Just a little too casual for us. The ship is beautiful, the vibe was off

Good to hear.  Your initial post sounded like a disaster.   

I think others have already said it.  The full occupancy likely impacted the vibe.  I am surprised you find Princess too casual compared to your Celebrity experience.  Again, maybe the result of the school travel season.  I also think in general Caribbean cruises are more casual than other places. 

Milky pools - icky!  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

Good to hear.  Your initial post sounded like a disaster.   

I think others have already said it.  The full occupancy likely impacted the vibe.  I am surprised you find Princess too casual compared to your Celebrity experience.  Again, maybe the result of the school travel season.  I also think in general Caribbean cruises are more casual than other places. 

Milky pools - icky!  

Celebrity has an older clientele. They don’t backwards ball cap it on formal nights

Personally, I do not understand the backward baseball cap generation.  Isn't the purpose of the brim to keep the sun out of your face?  No sun in the MDR.  How old am I?  I remember when REAL men took off their hats when entering a roofed establishment.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Personally, I do not understand the backward baseball cap generation.  Isn't the purpose of the brim to keep the sun out of your face?  No sun in the MDR.  How old am I?  I remember when REAL men took off their hats when entering a roofed establishment.  

Don't try and comprehend.  It's something your generation will not understand.  Times change whether we like it or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wakepatrol said:

Celebrity has an older clientele. They don’t backwards ball cap it on formal nights

Let's see summer time, 7 day cruise, Caribbean. You could not pick more likely for younger, more casual acting passengers, with lots of children.

Go when school in in session, longer cruise and the vibe would be different.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

2 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Don't try and comprehend.  It's something your generation will not understand.  Times change whether we like it or not.

Times are changing. I predict caps, forwards or backwards, will be a new fashion.  In fact, it seems it has already taken hold.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TRLD said:

Let's see summer time, 7 day cruise, Caribbean. You could not pick more likely for younger, more casual acting passengers, with lots of children.

OP’s wife is a teacher.  Very limited vacations. It’s a benefit (home with your kids) and a curse (families all travel).  Summer is worse for Caribbean and Alaska. No Princess ships on the West Coast to Hawaii/Mexico/coastal.  I’ve stopped doing the Caribbean any season.  I am not a sand and sun person.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, voljeep said:

what problems were those?

All the arguments from people about being dressed properly to gain entrance to the DR. Whatever properly was years ago. 

3 hours ago, 555 said:

All the arguments from people about being dressed properly to gain entrance to the DR. Whatever properly was years ago. 

True, but I also think it’s about how you were raised.  We have two adult sons who are both professionals.  They always dress well, whether it be on a cruise or a restaurant at home.  Not suits, unless the occasion calls for it, but well tailored pants and nice shirts.  They would never dream of wearing a baseball cap to dinner anywhere!   
Sorry, but dressing “properly” never goes out of style.  Some people just choose to ignore it.  I’m not talking about formal wear, just nice casual wear.  I know I’m in the minority on these boards, but that’s fine with me.

• Like 16

This is why DW and I have settled into a pattern of one cruise in the spring, one in fall, and a land vacation at a non-crowded beach in summer.  Only ever done one cruise during the summer but it was glaringly obvious how different it was. July, Caribbean, 3rd/4th free...yeah that's always going to be as casual and crowded as a princess cruise will ever get.

Having said that the cruising industry is doing really well right now so it's pretty much always crowded....maybe slightly less so than this OPs maximized situation, but unsold cabins are pretty few and far between right now.  Take the good with the bad....4 years ago at this time I wasn't sure if the industry would survive at all.

10 hours ago, TRLD said:

When you say “Casual”

You mean knuckle draggers right?

• Haha 1

I do not know what that term means,  but it seems unnecessary and derogatory.

Wake,  If you are not traveling with children, then a different vacation might be in order.

We all know that the short cruises during family breaks are very different.  Even on Princess.

Luckily I am able to cruise off-season.  And have had good experiences.

Maybe a longer sailing, or a different cruise line?  We have done nice resorts and even all -adult resort.

I understand how your experience was...  and do not question your feedback.  

And, yes, there was a time when it was not this way on Princess.

On some ships/sailings Carnival has devolved from Party Ship to booze cruise and fights onboard.  ( I understand that they are trying to address this.)

I have seen reports that even Celebrity, now sailing short sailings in the Caribbean, including private island, is more like Carnival used to be and Princess can sometimes be today.

Even traveling off-season, Princess and nice upscale resorts $400. to $600. per night, non-inclusive.  I have noticed a very real difference.  I do not like it, but seems that things are different.  Not just on Princess or other cruise lines, but everywhere.  A much different vibe, in how people dress, even during school months tons of kids around 7 and under.

On a recent Princess cruise, two 5 year olds were encouraged to run wild and turn the dance floor in the Piazza into a playground, during the later evening entertainment.  Actually interfering with the performance.  Ugggghhh.

While it is beyond our pay-grade, the kind of vibe and experience you are hoping for seems to come at a significantly higher price.  

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

True, but I also think it’s about how you were raised.  We have two adult sons who are both professionals.  They always dress well, whether it be on a cruise or a restaurant at home.  Not suits, unless the occasion calls for it, but well tailored pants and nice shirts.  They would never dream of wearing a baseball cap to dinner anywhere!   
Sorry, but dressing “properly” never goes out of style.  Some people just choose to ignore it.  I’m not talking about formal wear, just nice casual wear.  I know I’m in the minority on these boards, but that’s fine with me.

I agree. There is a difference between smart casual and dressing casual like you're going fishing or cleaning out the garage. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

What I never understood is "how someone else dresses" affects how your food tastes.

It doesn't affect how the food tastes, that's not the point. It affects the atmosphere to go for a meal when people are dressed like they're going to McDonalds. Bothers some, but I'm aware not everybody cares what the atmosphere is like when they dress buffet casual no matter where they dine. I can still state my opinion though I know not everyone agrees with me.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

OP’s wife is a teacher.  Very limited vacations. It’s a benefit (home with your kids) and a curse (families all travel).  Summer is worse for Caribbean and Alaska. No Princess ships on the West Coast to Hawaii/Mexico/coastal.  I’ve stopped doing the Caribbean any season.  I am not a sand and sun person.

My wife was also a teacher. Still the same thing applies Caribbean 7 day cruise will be younger and more casual. Add in summer, during what is basically off season because of the heat and this is pretty much what you get.

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Aside from the baseball caps I think most people currently sailing Princess enjoy the dress code the way it's become today.

Even the people who choose to dress up on formal/dress to impress nights (with the rare exception) can't be that offended by those that don't.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 555 said:

Aside from the baseball caps I think most people currently sailing Princess enjoy the dress code the way it's become today.

Even the people who choose to dress up on formal/dress to impress nights (with the rare exception) can't be that offended by those that don't.  

I completely agree.  The way things are now there are many people who enjoy a “come as you are”  experience.  I’m not offended by them in the least.  In fact, it just makes me look really good, lol

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/20/2024 at 5:43 PM, Wakepatrol said:

Oh no- We had a good time, it just wasn’t a memorable cruise . Just a little too casual for us. The ship is beautiful, the vibe was off

We were on that cruise with you and have to agree with most of what you said. We gave it a 7 of 10, good but not one we will brag about. Yes, pools were nasty. We noticed the water not circulating most of the time. The levels were down.

Most our dinners were in the buffet except one in the MDR and food was ok. Not enough to go back. We did fine,  it was a vacation away from Fla heat.  We have had over 20 cruises with Princess and will continue but it may not be a first line of choice. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

I completely agree.  The way things are now there are many people who enjoy a “come as you are”  experience.  I’m not offended by them in the least.  In fact, it just makes me look really good, lol

Well there you go... Princess has met their objective with trying to please as many people as possible & still convey the appearance of being an upscale cruise line. 

• Haha 1

We have been in many many cruises and my dinning in the MDR has never been

affected by what the people in the next table are wearing! My husband and enjoy

our meal then move on. I could care less what people wear!

If pool area is to crowed for us, we go enjoy our peace and quiet of our balcony.

What others do on the ship doesn’t make or break our vacation! 

p

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 7:52 PM, Wakepatrol said:

We went on the Celebrity Beyond the Spring Break before and were wowed every step of the way.  I realize once upon a time they rented tuxes aboard and formal nights everybody dressed to the nines.

We went on Celebrity Reflection during spring break, and there were many very casually dressed people on "formal" night in MDR. One guy walked in at the same time with us, and he was dressed in athletic shorts and t-shirt in neon colors and crocs. And no, he wasn't a young guy - he was in his mid40s and had his family with him, who were actually dressed up.

The way people dress has nothing to do with Enchanted or Princess... It happens on all the cruise lines.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

The way people dress has nothing to do with Enchanted or Princess... It happens on all the cruise lines.

And that is exactly why Princess changed their attitude about the dress code 2+ years ago. How could they possibly compete with the other mass market cruise lines if they remained the last holdout trying to get people to dress on formal nights?

• Like 2