Shorts vs. Pants: Why the Debate? Are Pants Really That Challenging?

Many moons ago when I first went to South Africa it was commonplace for men to wear a 'safari suit'. It was a well cut, lightweight, linen suit. The only difference was the pants were shorts. It was accepted in their culture.

As an aside, on my last cruise .. Seabourn ..I could not believe the number of people who came into breakfast wearing a baseball cap. It was great fun game guessing the number beforehand😄

Genuine and serious question. Why do people wear a cap in a restaurant?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Many moons ago when I first went to South Africa it was commonplace for men to wear a 'safari suit'. It was a well cut, lightweight, linen suit. The only difference was the pants were shorts. It was accepted in their culture.

As an aside, on my last cruise .. Seabourn ..I could not believe the number of people who came into breakfast wearing a baseball cap. It was great fun game guessing the number beforehand😄

The safari suit sounds like Bermuda shorts. It likely doesn't apply to everyone, but many use it to cover baldness. For others, likely just a force of habit. We wore ballcaps in the Navy with our working uniform so I rarely wear them anymore (or any type of hat, for that matter).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I don’t know, maybe bed head or bald head or think they’re the real slim shady.  🙂 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

The safari suit sounds like Bermuda shorts. It likely doesn't apply to everyone, but many use it to cover baldness. For others, likely just a force of habit. We wore ballcaps in the Navy with our working uniform so I rarely wear them anymore (or any type of hat, for that matter).

It is very sunny here often not a cloud and the angle is right in my eyes so a hat is desirable. It is very bright. Also sun protection is desirable. I am not bald. I usually don’t leave home without a hat during daylight hours. I even wear a hat in the pool. I have different types from ball cap to wide brimmed. Sunset today is 8:30. This is not Canada or Vermont with a lot of cloudy overcast hours. If I go to a non casual sit down restaurant I remove my hat but it stays on at burger restaurants, sandwich shops, pizza places, fast food and BBQ joints. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is very sunny here often not a cloud and the angle is right in my eyes so a hat is desirable. It is very bright. Also sun protection is desirable. I am not bald. I usually don’t leave home without a hat during daylight hours. I even wear a hat in the pool. I have different types from ball cap to wide brimmed. Sunset today is 8:30. This is not Canada or Vermont with a lot of cloudy overcast hours. If I go to a non casual sit down restaurant I remove my hat but it stays on at burger restaurants, sandwich shops, pizza places, fast food and BBQ joints. 

I understand why people wear hats in all sorts of situations, especially outdoors, but would you wear one in the dining room of a Seabourn cruise? Since you already said you wouldn't in a non-casual sit down restaurant I'm guessing the answer is no. I will say that if I am wearing a hat it comes off whenever I am indoors, another remnant of my Navy years (try wearing a hat into a Navy bar and see what happens 😉).

21 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I understand why people wear hats in all sorts of situations, especially outdoors, but would you wear one in the dining room of a Seabourn cruise? Since you already said you wouldn't in a non-casual sit down restaurant I'm guessing the answer is no. I will say that if I am wearing a hat it comes off whenever I am indoors, another remnant of my Navy years (try wearing a hat into a Navy bar and see what happens 😉).

When I am driving to a restaurant I leave the hat in the car. Unbelievably though there are a lot of eateries within walking distance though and I refuse to drive anywhere that I can walk to. If it is jacket weather I have flat caps that fit in my jacket pocket. I don’t usually wear a hat indoors on a cruise but if I did it would only be at the buffet returning from port. The person on Seabourn in the dining room is probably a multi millionaire who made their wealth in tech. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Wearing it at breakfast makes more sense to me. People don't view breakfast as a dress up affair like perhaps dinner is and they are going outside after breakfast and have put their hat on for the day. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Because I can. 

Seriously some posters are living in the past. Our culture has changed to less formal dress and more freedom of dress. The ones claiming sophistication are actually not sophisticated. Sophisticated people adjust to changing times. 

• Like 3

Why are pants challenging? Because on a warm weather cruise, that is the only reason to bring long pants.  My DH wears shorts all cruise, and it seems silly to have to bring long pants just for dinner. To be comfortable he wears his shorts all day, changes into pants for dinner, and then back into shorts for the rest of the evening.

But we aren't rule breakers so we prefer to cruise on NCL where there is no dress code for dinner.  IMO, long pants required for dinner is so outdated. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2024 at 5:24 AM, sparks1093 said:

Baseball, in the 60's:

And here is baseball in the 40’s(?) Styles change. Fashion is arbitrary 

crowdatmunicipalstadium001_ff722f67df.jp

Edited by wcook

1 minute ago, wcook said:

And here is baseball in the 40’s(?)

I'm sure those who attended games in the 40's would be critical of the gentlemen in the 60's who weren't wearing ties.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 3:06 AM, Donald said:

They still do - but not if they come from North America.

Where are these people from who people wear long pants and collared shirts on  pool decks.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

North American “culture” has declined with large numbers of people incapable of living in anything other than leisure wear. 

I think that is kind of extreme.  A culture should not be condemned because of fashion changes.  And, I'm not about to go back to powdered wigs and pantaloons.  😀      

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

You omitted part of the Cambridge definition : “having a good understanding of the way people behave and/or a good knowledge of culture and fashion.”

This supports the notion that sophisticated folks should be able to recognize cultural and fashion changes.  

• Like 2

On 7/24/2024 at 7:43 AM, ontheweb said:

If you want to ruin your cruise over this issue, you are welcome to do it.

(Note I have never worn shorts to dinner on a cruise.)

I have never worn shorts to a restaurant on sea or land .I cannot recall the last time I wore shorts,possibly at age 5.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Because to a large segment of the population in America it is now considered normal fashion.  The old traditional rule about hats inside is clearly changing.  Doesn't mean you have to like or agree with it, but it is changing.    

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 11:51 PM, VelvetSkeeter said:

I already know I'll probably get it from the shorts brigade in the comments, but oh well—it is a short post after all! 🤣

I am always surprised but also amused by the prevalent question of 'Can I wear shorts to dinner?' which is often followed by comments like 'Who cares what others think?' or 'It's my vacation, and I'll do what I want.' This disregard for basic guidelines and disrespect for others is increasingly common. It overlooks why others might have chosen a particular restaurant, place, or experience. This self-centered mindset will persist until every experience is diminished, where every nice restaurant resembles a Golden Corral, and date night becomes picking out your favorite Costco shorts and ironic T-shirt. 

You may want to dress down and be ready at all times to chase the ice creanm truck, but it isn't just about you. Guest attire can elevate or diminish the experience of others who have chosen and paid for a cruise or an experience. Seeing someone dressed like they're ready to order at McDonald's can be disappointing. If youdisliek the posdte dress code and must remain in shorts there are certainly other areas with out such dress codes that will acomidate you with soem good food , crayons and menu you can color on. 

Let's be honest, no one wants to see your bony, hairy legs at a nice dinner. If you are old enough to vote, then fight your inner manchild and wear pants to dinner! Your partner is likely dressing nicely, spending time doing their hair, putting on makeup, and sporting bling—so just throw on some dang pants for an hour! And it should go without saying, but please spare those around you from wearing man sandals or flip flops with your caterpillar toes and talons showing. Yes, women wear open-toed shoes, but they also get pedicures and paint their nails. Men in sandals look like they could use thier toenails to open boxes at UPS.

Even king of the manchild Charlie Harper, who wore nothing but shorts on 'Two and a Half Men,' put on pants when going out to dinner!

All correct.  Just a funny comment: if a diner is not so nice or if it's not a dinner, would someone like to see your ...?  If yes, that person will likely want to see them at a nice dinner, too.

PS. I observed (on a few occasions) people in shorts even on luxury cruise lines' ships during dinner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Because to a large segment of the population in America it is now considered normal fashion.  The old traditional rule about hats inside is clearly changing.  Doesn't mean you have to like or agree with it, but it is changing.    

normal fashion ... or... are more people losing hair these days, perhaps?

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:59 AM, sparks1093 said:

I long ago stopped worrying about what other people do since I have absolutely no control over it at all. I focus on the one person that I can control- myself.

I barely can accomplish that alone...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/24/2024 at 6:50 AM, NotADopey1 said:

I have to agree with Sparks1093.  We don’t care what you wear.  As long as you’re clean it’s none of our business.

Define clean.

On 7/24/2024 at 8:06 AM, K32682 said:

I don't ask whether I can wear shorts I just do should the mood hit me. So far no objection from the people who run the boat. Should the sight of my legs cause anxiety, consternation or a case of the vapors among aging and overbearing matrons they are encouraged to dine at the buffet.

Buffet and tuxedo are "two incompatible matters". 

8 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Why do people wear a cap in a restaurant?

Because they weren't raised properly...would have been my mother's response...and I agree.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2024 at 4:32 PM, zqvol said:

Just follow the dress code of the cruise line. As an example NCL allows men to wear shorts in all venues except Le Bistro (and maybe one other specialty restaurant). If you don’t like that policy (rule) then select a different line with a dress code that meets your needs. 

Le Bistro is a funny example, because it has outside area where thousands are walking by dressed anyhow at any time including dinner hours.