Celebrity Loyalists on their First Oceania Cruise, Vista July 23- Aug 02

dock

6 hours ago, dock said:

We do prefer the Luminae concept of a sit down breakfast, but adjusting to Terrace Cafe was fine and Aquamar does sit down service so we did that a couple mornings.

I have not sailed on Vista yet. The other ships have sit down breakfast at the GDR. Are you saying the GDR was not open for breakfast on Vista?

34 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I have not sailed on Vista yet. The other ships have sit down breakfast at the GDR. Are you saying the GDR was not open for breakfast on Vista?

I was going to ask the same question. We generally always eat breakfast in the GDR unless our tour is very early. Nice quiet stress-free start of the day. I don't think I remember reading that Vista doesn't do breakfast in the GDR. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@basor, as I noted. 
Later that “ evening “ . So No, We did not go to our cabin before it was ready. 
When we boarded we were cleared to go to our cabin as it was ready at 130 already. 

Im referencing when we were leaving for dinner. 

No cruise line is perfect and quite frankly, this young lady was imo not adequately trained. There  were numerous incidents which I’ve not mentioned and I didn’t fill in the survey as I would have rated her  quite poorly and I did not want to jeopardize her job. 
Furthermore, in the event that O are monitoring this site , I did not mention who our Butler was or my cabin number as I did not want them to figure out who she was. 

No cruise line is perfect! 

Edited by dock
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

some claim they can tip staff to reserve in violation of O's own guidance.

In my world, that would be a bribe not a tip. 

• Like 7

@ORV, I’m sure it’s open for brekkie, I’m just used to popping up a floor or two to Luminae, rather than shlepping all the way to GDR for brekkie. 
Yep I’m lazy on vacay! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, dock said:

@ORV, I’m sure it’s open for brekkie, I’m just used to popping up a floor or two to Luminae, rather than shlepping all the way to GDR for brekkie. 
Yep I’m lazy on vacay! 

@dock Great posts and I have truly enjoyed them.  I also appreciate your honesty.  What I love most about cruising is to coin a VERY OLD phase, "Have it Your Way".  My favorite meal on a cruise ship is breakfast.  A sit down breakfast.  Where on Oceania Cruises, I am not high on the MDR for dinner or lunch.  I do LOVE it for breakfast.  Never crowded, love the atmosphere. 

My Oceania Cruise was 10-Days in the Mediterranean on the Rivera. We went with our best friends about the same age as my wife and I (OLD). My friends wife always sleep in, my wife never joined for breakfast because she is not a breakfast person, just coffee.  My friend and I went to the MDR every morning.  We did this because we did NO ship excursions forcing us to leave early.  So, we took it easy, had a nice breakfast, met up with our wives then left the ship.  

As I said, everyone does cruises differently.  I will say, on day three at breakfast, the crew know our names and we always ordered OJ and smoked salmon with a bagel.  To me, that was one of many things that made my cruise.  Not everything, just a nice highlight.  

Again, GREAT stream and thank you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 5

@dock the problem is, if no-one says you are doing something wrong, you will carry on doing it that way so if you don't say anything, then the room attendant won't realise that her behaviour (whilst not rude as you said) is still not appropriate. If it is just a training issue then the head of housekeeping needs to know this so that training can be offered.

• Like 2

@Techno123, soo true, but I don’t like to be that person! I’ll let someone else do it. Altho in my biz, if staff are not doing well, I’d rather I’m told than somone going on Google and giving us a bad review. I just didn’t want to impact her job as I know the crew rely on good ratings on the survey. 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2024 at 2:54 PM, terrydtx said:

When you see Captains Club members who are Double Zenith like @Jim_Iain jumping ship, you know Celebrity has been in a one-way slide downhill with no relief in sight. 

You may be right...but IMO, sometimes you do something so many times that any change is a good one....that apples to sailing a line as well.  There are 'jumpers'...and I may be one in the near future...but reading from the CC Celebrity forum, it's generally long term X sailors who may be bored with the offering, or not serviced as well as they  feel they should be for their long term loyalty, or are looking for what may be a better experience for the $..or, most of all, just a change from the overly familiar.  I see many of the same complaints here and on other boards as I see on Celebrity's.  Comme ci, comme ca. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... The fact that it never happened or was [seen] [b]y us has no relevance. Knowing it "COULD" happen allows us to both look out for it on our next voyage or avoid it if at all possible so it does not bother our experience. 

So, you did not see this on Riviera 10-11/2023? You and I spent 10 nights on her then. I think you spent more time around the pool than we did. We did the additional 10 nights as part of our B2B. I didn't see it but wasn't paying much attention to a pool I didn't use. I will try to spend some time around the Sirena pool area, assuming the weather is conducive starting 8/28. All we have is mainly anecdote of a non-systematic nature, not directly tied to each of the 7 O ships. 

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

So, you did not see this on Riviera 10-11/2023? You and I spent 10 nights on her then.

NO, I did not see it and I WOULD have noticed.  But that is not the point.  Just because I did not see something, on my cruise does not mean other have not experienced it.  The point is, give every one the credit for actually experiencing, until proven otherwise, even if we did not.  Challenging a person's integrity is a tough road that ends up only creating unneeded infighting.  Even if the poster is a poser or is trying to establish themselves as an expert.  The benefit of topics like this is future strategy if and when it should happen to us.  A head up if you will. 

Now if you do see something like indicated, or I see it on my Vista Cruise next year. I assure everyone on this board, I am NOT SHY.  I will take action, it will be immediate and THEN, I will get a drink, and forget it every happened. WHY, this kind of stuff used to destroy my cruise. Now I address it in real time, and move on to food and drinks.  Keeps my blood pressure low that way.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fortunately, we are beyond the point that we care about spending any time around a pool on a cruise, so the "Chair Hoggs" no longer bother us. Human behavior is what is it is, and some people will always believe they are more entitled than others and have the "right" to break the rules. This is the same attitude some smokers have about smoking on their balconies.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

NO, I did not see it and I WOULD have noticed....

And so we have our own data points. As relevant as all the others. Our actual experience. Our evidence. That would be "not observed" on 30 nights on Riviera (2021 & 2023) and 10 nights on Sirena (2022). Will be interesting to see what happens on our upcoming 22 more nights on Sirena in 2024 regarding this. Just makes me wonder, is there a particular ship(s) this is an issue on? O does have 7. I've only been on 2. Entirely possible on any of the other 5. At some time under some specific crew(s).

1 minute ago, macaroni said:

Just want to confirm that the shows are at 9:30 pm…..and only 1 show a night?

thanks!

Yes and yes. In the main Lounge, Deck 5. This holds for all 7 ships. (Of course, there are rare exceptions to the general situation. Seen shows start at 1400 and 1730 on rare occasions.)

• Like 1