Got a move up offer but the ship is sold out

stavy

57 minutes ago, stavy said:

the cruise is sold out?

How do you know?  Unless you have a direct line to Celebrity's inventory, it's impossible to know the true status of availability.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, jwlane said:

How do you know?  Unless you have a direct line to Celebrity's inventory, it's impossible to know the true status of availability.

Trying to book a cabin does not work???  If you cannot book a cabin due to being sold out then what am I missing?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

Trying to book a cabin does not work???

Again, what we see online is not necessarily reflective of what they actually have.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Again, what we see online is not necessarily reflective of what they actually have.

Then why will they not let me book a cabin that is available?  I am talking about the Celebrity website....

Edited by NMTraveller

6 minutes ago, jwlane said:

And even then, there's no telling which agency is sitting on a block of cabins for a group, some or all of which could be returned to Celebrity's inventory at some point!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, canderson said:

And even then, there's no telling which agency is sitting on a block of cabins for a group, some or all of which could be returned to Celebrity's inventory at some point!

If a person is getting a move up bid , that is usually after final payment date and all cabin in group booking should have been returned by than

• Like 3

Just now, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If a person is getting a move up bid , that is usually after final payment date and all cabin in group booking should have been returned by than

Agree, never see the emails until somewhere within the 90 day window.  Was thinking more of those who initiate the process themselves using the direct portal even earlier that I've seen posted here a couple of times.  Have never tried it that way, but evidently it works for some folks. 

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Are they not returned to inventory at the 90 day mark or before?  Final payment?

12 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Are they not returned to inventory at the 90 day mark or before?  Final payment?

Yes, but haven't we heard of people being able to successfully access directly through the portal before then?

Another thing to keep in mind is that even one cancelation towards the top of the "food chain" could trigger a domino effect of sorts. If one Royal Suite is cancelled, it could be taken by passengers in a Sky Suite, which would then become available for a Concierge Class, and so on down the line. So it's a smart business move to have passengers ready to move up at every step.

• Like 3

We managed a move up Verandah to Aqua on our April Japan cruise for £300. This was one of the cruises which X turfed off dozens of cruisers as they overbooked. It had not been on the website for months (with some brief appearances). Most cruisers are Middle-aged or Elderly and sudden illness & death unfortunately befalls us….. thus openings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Then why will they not let me book a cabin that is available?  I am talking about the Celebrity website....

Because it is very common for travel agents to "hold" a block of cabins that are exclusive to booking through them.  The cruise line will not show them as available because they are "taken".  At some point (if the TA does not book them) they will be returned to Celebrity inventory and all of a sudden you see a bunch of cabins that weren't there before.

22 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Do you have more People than the Cabin Capacity allows or perhaps not enough People?

On 7/27/2024 at 12:36 PM, jwlane said:

There are sites that you can see inventory 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Because it is very common for travel agents to "hold" a block of cabins that are exclusive to booking through them.  The cruise line will not show them as available because they are "taken".  At some point (if the TA does not book them) they will be returned to Celebrity inventory and all of a sudden you see a bunch of cabins that weren't there before.

You are correct.  I was having a discussion with a Celebrity Vacation Planner as I had inquired about a room in a certain location.  He was able to tell me that the rooms in that area were not booked with passengers by Celebrity but by a third party.  He said some of those rooms could be returned to inventory.

18 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

these held cabins are turned in around final payment time