How to block the lights in the cabin from turning on during the night

I know I have read things on here about this issue but it was when I wasn't traveling.  Now that I am about to leave I need to make sure we can block the light.  Dh gets up really early and usually sits on the desk chair in the closet area and goes on the computer.  I have heard of people bringing blue painter's tape.  How do you bring it so you are not bringing a whole roll?

8 minutes ago, dickinson said:

How do you bring it so you are not bringing a whole roll?

Wrap some around a pencil, pen, or marker.

We always have a role of duck tape in our travel bag.

• Like 3

I've already used some at home first, so I'm not bringing the entire roll.  I know that isn't really what younwere asking.... I just don't see the problem in taking a roll in my luggage rather than rolling a short length around a pencil.

Just now, d9704011 said:

I've already used some at home first, so I'm not bringing the entire roll.  I know that isn't really what younwere asking.... I just don't see the problem in taking a roll in my luggage rather than rolling a short length around a pencil.

BTW, i block the under cabinet light beside the bed by rolling up a pool towel and jamming it up against the light before going to bed.

• Like 1

I roll a short amount of blue painter's tape around a sharpie & toss it into my "tool kit" (just a VERY small collection of little things I have found a need for across the years.)  Painter's tape does not leave any sticky residue as does duct tape...much easier to remove and it leaves no trace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNCruiser55 said:

We use electrical tape as it is a much smaller roll than painters tape.

We also use electrical tape.  I have used the tape to MacGyver many fixes...

20231118_093327.thumb.jpg.05436cdc5d423120f5c1b89bd5234ac1.jpg

Instead of tape, on the crown class ships, we find that one of the black plastic mushroom containers from the grocery store fits perfectly over the light at night.  We take it off during the day so we can use the light for the closet area. 

Just of note, the Discovery doesn’t have those motion sensitive lights. Thank goodness! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dickinson said:

I know I have read things on here about this issue but it was when I wasn't traveling.  Now that I am about to leave I need to make sure we can block the light.  Dh gets up really early and usually sits on the desk chair in the closet area and goes on the computer.  I have heard of people bringing blue painter's tape.  How do you bring it so you are not bringing a whole roll?

Had you thought about the shades that you can wear over your eyes which will easily solve your problem & extremely easy to pack?

Tom😀

• Like 1

Painters tape is the best option since it will not leave any sticky residue.  Along with that, I bring a small amount of duct tape.  You never know!  And that is why I can’t travel with just a carry on, 

PS…..once I bought a “roll” of duct tape from a dood to door student hocking fund raiser stuff.  It was likened to a roll of foil.  12 inches wide/paper peel away back..   Cut what you need.  Fabulous invention.  

Have a wonderful cruise.

We left the Emerald just last week, and made a very interesting discovery. SWMBO is always careful to block off every possible light source in the room, and very quickly disabled/taped the sensors under the nightstands and the overhead light in the closet. I discovered, however, that even after she had taped over the  closet sensor to block the motion activation, I could still reach up and turn it on by touching the sensor. The light would then turn on, but seemed to be on a timer and would turn off a few minutes later. I found that strange as there didn't seem to be a physical switch, but I could turn it on quite reliably by touch.

Light sensors were not on the Sapphire will I need to deal with these on the Grand? I get up several times during the night, but to much light will wake me completely and may not get back to sleep.

Thanks

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Now you have to drag some scirrors along with you too!!

Doesn’t everyone travel with a scissors?  Never leave home  without one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We do!  @cr8tiv1 check my thread I just started about our last minute issue with flight and how EZ Air helped. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just of note, the Discovery doesn’t have those motion sensitive lights. Thank goodness! 

Does the Enchanted have these sensor lights?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We also use electrical tape.  I have used the tape to MacGyver many fixes...

20231118_093327.thumb.jpg.05436cdc5d423120f5c1b89bd5234ac1.jpg

our light was already covered like this, which didn't precludethe hallway or ALL the lights from coming on randomly throughout the night. That was when NONE of us were up and moving.

31 minutes ago, vakamalua said:

Does the Enchanted have these sensor lights?

yes

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

no. When you are limited to 40# per suitcase and have to pay for them, you pack as light as possible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trbarton said:

Had you thought about the shades that you can wear over your eyes which will easily solve your problem & extremely easy to pack?

Tom😀

Have you thought that some people may have sensitivities which do not allow them to wear anything on their face through the night?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We take a small folding pair with us when we travel.  The blade is only an inch long but they are invaluable.  I think the blades are limited to under 4” to bring onboard.  
I also take a small sewing kit, and yes, tape because you never know when you may need it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

our light was already covered like this, which didn't precludethe hallway or ALL the lights from coming on randomly throughout the night. That was when NONE of us were up and moving.

That also happened to us once.  The ship's electrician had to disconnect the light fixture.  It was left disconnected for the month we were onboard. 

• Like 1