The best part about sailing out of Cape Liberty, NJ

wtang

I've sailed out of Cape Liberty, NJ and from the west side of Manhattan a few times. My favorite thing about these departure ports are the screams, cheers, and clapping when the ship narrowly misses hitting the Verrazzano Bridge as it sails under. Always adds a bit of excitement to the sail away party!  This video is from my 7/7-7/14/2024 cruise to Bermuda. 

Video of Celebrity Eclipse almost hitting bridge

• Like 2

on the summit some years ago , we cruise near lady liberty and had police helicopters super close and definitely enjoyed sailing under the Verrazano.

• Like 1

Plenty of clearance!
Last June, the captain took the Summit past the buildings of the Wall Street area and the new building at the site of the former World Trade Center, then went past-very closely to -the Statue  of Liberty before going out under the Verrazano Bridge. 
Certainly a treat for passengers out of the NYC metro area, but a pleasure for NYC people also.

MJ

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wtang said:

My favorite thing about these departure ports are the screams, cheers, and clapping when the ship narrowly misses hitting the Verrazzano Bridge as it sails under.

Well in reality there is quite a bit of clearance as RCCL's Oasis of the Seas, which is significantly higher in terms of above water height than Eclipse, sails easily under the bridge as well.  But it always is a lot of fun going under it!

We like Cape Liberty because of its driving proximity for us and ease of parking and terminal boarding.  One of the easiest ports to use.  We also enjoy the Celebrity departures that include the circle in front of the Statue of Liberty.  Very nice.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4

If you get a thrill about narrowly getting under the bridge sail on a RCCL ship that has funnels that are lowered to pass under.   Stand on the top deck you will be closer to the bridge.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well in reality there is quite a bit of clearance as RCCL's Oasis of the Seas, which is significantly higher in terms of above water height than Eclipse, sails easily under the bridge as well.  But it always is a lot of fun going under it!

No so easily. Oasis has a retractible smokestack. They had to refurbish it when they started sailing Oasis out of Cape Liberty because it had atrophied from not being used for years.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just an fyi that the correct spelling of the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge has two Zs.   The bridge is named after the Italian explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano, "who discovered New York harbor in 1524."   The name was misspelled in the construction contract for the bridge (which opened in 1964), and the misspelling was finally corrected by New York State via legislation enacted in 2018.  🙂 

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/verrazzano-bridge-spelling-fixed/

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

Each sail out we have been allowed to sail by the Statue of Liberty -  last year on the way to London there was a sailaway party for status folks in the Solarium on the front of the Anthem (RCCL).  Hope we have a lovely day on Sunday and get to enjoy that view of Lady Liberty.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

No so easily. Oasis has a retractible smokestack. They had to refurbish it when they started sailing Oasis out of Cape Liberty because it had atrophied from not being used for years.

You are correct and I am aware of the retractable stacks, also necessary for clearing a bridge in Denmark. But when retracted, it is a clean clearance.  But it is close and interesting to experience.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Each sail out we have been allowed to sail by the Statue of Liberty -  last year on the way to London there was a sailaway party for status folks in the Solarium on the front of the Anthem (RCCL).  Hope we have a lovely day on Sunday and get to enjoy that view of Lady Liberty.

They have to get permission from the Harbor Master to do the sail by. Depends on congestion and wind conditions. The Captain will ask for permission they know passengers like it but sometimes they can’t get it permission. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They have to get permission from the Harbor Master to do the sail by. Depends on congestion and wind conditions. The Captain will ask for permission they know passengers like it but sometimes they can’t get it permission. 

I guess we have had good fortune with that as we have sailed out of Cape Liberty on Celebrity a number of times over recent years and have always done the circle in front of the Statue of Liberty.  In fact it is listed on the itineraries with expected times.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I guess we have had good fortune with that as we have sailed out of Cape Liberty on Celebrity a number of times over recent years and have always done the circle in front of the Statue of Liberty.  In fact it is listed on the itineraries with expected times.

I was on the first time a Celebrity ship circled in front. Since then they didn’t  do it 2 times I sailed out of Cape Liberty but they did do it many times.

Edited by Charles4515

4 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

I always thought the best thing about sailing from Port Liberty was the simple fact that you're leaving New Jersey behind you.

By far his is the most important and greatest thing about sailing from cape liberty.  Tho unfortunately you most likely have to return which completely stinks. 

• Haha 1