Voyager Transatlantic

Thinking of taking a transatlantic on Voyager.

A couple of questions.

1. Should I be concerned about the age of the ship? I was worried about this with so many days at sea.

2. Thinking of an ultra spacious ocean view. Would movement be a concern and any preference between deck 6 and 7 (the room layouts look a little different.

Thanks 

I'm booked the pool deck forward of the pool in a regular balcony. I booked so long ago all the decks were open. My TA put me back toward the elevator and said sometimes TAs can be windy. Idk as voyager will be my first TA, though I'm pretty sure ive done voyager long time ago. I'm not worried at all about the age. I did grandeur a year or so ago. I know voyager much newer. 

I'm booked next may for 2 legs. Seems to me to be so complicated to do this cruise. Booked in rome 4 days after. Worry about hotel and excursions there and euros and flight home was overly expensive thru air2sea. They wanted $1510 and up one way from rome to orlando so I booked on my own to miami and now booked in miami and taking brightline to orlando. As I said it seems so complicated. We will see if I ever do this again. I always heard TAs were cheap but this one has taken on a life of it's own.

• Like 1

There's no need to be concerned about the age of any RC ship.

Now if you need the multitude of activities the newer/larger ships offer over the smaller ships, then that's a different conversation.

17 minutes ago, Deep68 said:

1. Should I be concerned about the age of the ship? I was worried about this with so many days at sea.

If you even ask this question, TAs or even cruising is not for you. 

• Like 4

I did my first TA in April on Explorer.  Miami to Barcelona,  I had a balcony and hardly used the balcony.  I was solo.  I spent a majority of my time in the solarium and I found it was Brezzy every day.  i thoroughly enjoyed this trip with the exception of the flight back from to Barcelona to Boston 17 hours.  I have Allure booked for Feb 2025 and plan to spend a few days in Europe after the cruise.

Did a 16 night Artic Crossing (Copenhagen to Boston) on Voyager in September 2022.  Sailed in a Spacious Oceanview cabin on deck 9 port side below the bridge wing.  It was a fantastic cruise.

I've done TAs on Quantum, Anthem (4), Vision, Voyager, and Oasis.  Next one is on Odyssey. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

If you even ask this question, TAs or even cruising is not for you. 

I have been on nearly 30 cruises so certainly know I like cruising! 🙂

TA is however new for me

Edited by Deep68
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm booked the pool deck forward of the pool in a regular balcony. I booked so long ago all the decks were open. My TA put me back toward the elevator and said sometimes TAs can be windy. Idk as voyager will be my first TA, though I'm pretty sure ive done voyager long time ago. I'm not worried at all about the age. I did grandeur a year or so ago. I know voyager much newer. 

I'm booked next may for 2 legs. Seems to me to be so complicated to do this cruise. Booked in rome 4 days after. Worry about hotel and excursions there and euros and flight home was overly expensive thru air2sea. They wanted $1510 and up one way from rome to orlando so I booked on my own to miami and now booked in miami and taking brightline to orlando. As I said it seems so complicated. We will see if I ever do this again. I always heard TAs were cheap but this one has taken on a life of it's own.

I am looking at the May cruise too. I am moving to Europe so taking this trip one way. I am deciding between Voyager and Celebrity Equinox.  Good luck with the planning. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There's no need to be concerned about the age of any RC ship.

Now if you need the multitude of activities the newer/larger ships offer over the smaller ships, then that's a different conversation.

OK Thanks. No need for racing cars! Last ship with RC we were on was Allure last year and that was in pretty good shape.

2 hours ago, Trailcon said:

I did my first TA in April on Explorer.  Miami to Barcelona,  I had a balcony and hardly used the balcony.  I was solo.  I spent a majority of my time in the solarium and I found it was Brezzy every day.  i thoroughly enjoyed this trip with the exception of the flight back from to Barcelona to Boston 17 hours.  I have Allure booked for Feb 2025 and plan to spend a few days in Europe after the cruise.

I was wondering how much a balcony would be used on a TA

Just got off the Voyager TA in May and the following two cruises.  The ship is in great shape.  The biggest challenge for this ship is the rather small gym.  It didn’t bother me, but the wife was not impressed.  The FlowRider was good, and there fore I used the balcony every day to dry my gear.  😆  On the TA we had a larger aft balcony and we used the balcony every night to watch the stars.  The problem with the aft balconies on this particular ship is the oily soot that sometimes gets on the balcony, but we loved our evenings watching the skies.  On the following two cruises we didn’t have a good sky view and used the balcony less.  

JC

4 hours ago, Deep68 said:

So long as ensure you book one on the sunny side of the ship you’ll use it a lot. 

eastbound - starboard 

westbound - port

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Trailcon said:

17 hrs to get from Spain to Boston?😳

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, little britain said:

So long as ensure you book one on the sunny side of the ship you’ll use it a lot. 

eastbound - starboard 

westbound - port

Actually if my balcony was in the sun I'd hardly use it at all. My doctor says no sun which of course I do get sun, but I dont sit in the sun. I've had maybe a dozen MOHS surgeries already. If the sun is on my balcony its ruined.

I like to see the weather and often all my balcony is is a window to see outside. For this TA a balcony was $30 more than a inside and I lose $50 obc when I book a balcony that a inside gets. I think it's my balcony discount isnt combinable with early booking obc but I could be wrong which isnt combinable. Usually i have plenty of obc to cover solo tips, but 13 days only $100 stock obc so it's my only cruise not even enough obc to cover $18 x 13 days = $234. $150 obc falls short to even cover tips. 

Just one of many things why this cruise is adding up to more and more dollars over just the cost of the cruise which started off as a bargain.

OP find a TA with group rates, that will help a lot. Booking direct is a lot more. I wouldnt even be doing the 2nd leg booking direct. 2nd leg was 5k booking direct keeping my cabin. Or $2700 group D+ and DP340 solo. Or inside. Moving across the hall 2nd leg to save money on port intensive leg. Whomever said TAs a bargain, lol. Plus 4 night in rome. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Deep68 said:

We have done 7 TA'S. Always in a balcony, always on the sunny side, usually gets a lot of use. We would never book any cruise in anything less than a balcony. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, little britain said:

eastbound - starboard 

westbound - port

I usually end up booking opposite.  😄

Not intentionally, but how it ends up.

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

We have done 7 TA'S. Always in a balcony, always on the sunny side, usually gets a lot of use. We would never book any cruise in anything less than a balcony. 

There was a time when I cared nothing about balconies. However, as time goes on my needs evolved. I still enjoy the goings on around the ship but love having a private and quiet space to retreat to where I can still be outside.

• Like 1

We did the same Arctic cruise from Copenhagen to Boston as @Another_Critic in Sept 2022. Try to select a room on the port side of the ship to get the most sun if you’re cruising from Europe to the US. It gets a bit chilly, but even though we were in pretty cold areas, we still very much enjoyed our balcony cabin. In Iceland we spent an afternoon watching whales frolic around the ship. We use our balcony all the time, in ports and at sea. 

We loved Voyager……to be honest there’s not a royal ship we don’t like, but we prefer smaller ships and Voyager fits that model

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deep68 said:

I sailed Voyager just 2 1/2 months ago... like you I thought the age might make her feel a little old, however I totally re-fell in love with this ship. By far and away for me the best Voyager Class ship out of the 5. Still has the classic pool deck, and Voyager has a great modern layouts in both the Viking Crown & Star Lounge which are different than the other Voyager ships, updated furniture, and she looked sparkling new. I was super impressed.

Do not be concerned at all. Great ship!

• Like 4

We just got off of Voyager and we really enjoyed the ship. The cruise staff really make sure they have plenty of things to do. Yes, there isn't as many shows or things to do since it is an older ship, but it is still a beautiful cruise ship, and I am sure you will find things to do! 

11 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I spent the afternoon in Akureyri on the water slides.  😄

Cool!  We did a tour in the morning and spent the afternoon on the balcony, in the warm sun, watching the whales playing.

On 7/28/2024 at 9:27 PM, Deep68 said:

We don’t use the balcony much but it is nice to feel the extra space on longer trips.

19 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I sailed Voyager just 2 1/2 months ago... like you I thought the age might make her feel a little old, however I totally re-fell in love with this ship. By far and away for me the best Voyager Class ship out of the 5. Still has the classic pool deck, and Voyager has a great modern layouts in both the Viking Crown & Star Lounge which are different than the other Voyager ships, updated furniture, and she looked sparkling new. I was super impressed.

Do not be concerned at all. Great ship!

Glad to hear this. Doing a back to back on Voyager soon and was a little nervous. First time on anything less than Oasis/Quantum class.