Bad Weather Weekend Cruise (Possible)

As the eternal optimist I always assume that if it says rainy don’t worry the sun will be out the weathers wrong etc but I still plan ahead. I’m a huge RCCL guy and I’m going with the fam this weekend on a Disney cruise (that place seems dead but this could apply to a Bahamas 3 day RCCL cruise too)…anyways this mf swell likely to become something in the next 7 days ofc has the Bahamas and S. Fl dead on the middle of its forecast so my question is the cruise is 4 days out what are my options (never had this issue) do I have to wait for it to become something a tropical depression etc to contact Disney or get a crappy rainy vacation?

9 minutes ago, RZDBS said:

As the eternal optimist I always assume that if it says rainy don’t worry the sun will be out the weathers wrong etc but I still plan ahead. I’m a huge RCCL guy and I’m going with the fam this weekend on a Disney cruise (that place seems dead but this could apply to a Bahamas 3 day RCCL cruise too)…anyways this mf swell likely to become something in the next 7 days ofc has the Bahamas and S. Fl dead on the middle of its forecast so my question is the cruise is 4 days out what are my options (never had this issue) do I have to wait for it to become something a tropical depression etc to contact Disney or get a crappy rainy vacation?

They will most likely sail somewhere, it’s rare for entire cruises to be canceled over weather.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RZDBS said:

The cruise will happen and the Captain will keep you out of harms way.  Yes it could be raining the whole time but they aren’t going to cancel cruise due to bad weather.

I am not sure what options you are looking for……

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ahhh well looks like I either eat 30% of the cruise fare to change the date or a rainy vacation. Welp time to weigh out the options with the fam. Goes to show the importance of cruise protection! 

Edited by RZDBS

27 minutes ago, RZDBS said:

That sounds crazy to me to cancel because of possible weather. I live here. I was here yesterday when wonder was parked and could see lighting cracks and hear thunder all around the ship. It happens here all the time. I would go and cross my fingers or I'd never cruise.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, RZDBS said:

Ahhh well looks like I either eat 30% of the cruise fare to change the date or a rainy vacation. Welp time to weigh out the options with the fam. Goes to show the importance of cruise protection! 

You change it, then the new date has bad weather forecasted, then you change it, and guess what ...

Murphy's Law ... if you change it, the weather will be better on the original cruise than the rescheduled cruise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

That sounds crazy to me to cancel because of possible weather. I live here. I was here yesterday when wonder was parked and could see lighting cracks and hear thunder all around the ship. It happens here all the time. I would go and cross my fingers or I'd never cruise.

Mee too S. Fl guy just kinds pissed at my luck at the moment!

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

You change it, then the new date has bad weather forecasted, then you change it, and guess what ...

Murphy's Law ... if you change it, the weather will be better on the original cruise than the rescheduled cruise.

Probably won’t change anything until Wednesday or Thursday maybe the thing turns north or goes south. It is what it is sometimes 

57 minutes ago, RZDBS said:

You will get better Disney advice on the Disney forum.  

11 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You will get better Disney advice on the Disney forum.  

It's more of a weather question. Like OP stated, the Disney forum is quiet.

4 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

It's more of a weather question. Like OP stated, the Disney forum is quiet.

They are talking about insurance too which is likely not the same on both Disney and Royal Caribbean since they are saying they will only lose 30%.  

20 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They are talking about insurance too which is likely not the same on both Disney and Royal Caribbean since they are saying they will only lose 30%.  

Good point. Interesting how the Disney boards are so quiet.

Posted (edited)

I suspect it is quiet because they have only five ships.  Three are in Caribbean, one in Alaska and one part time in Europe and then coming back to the Caribbean. RCG has sixty eight ships spread across five brands. All they do, for all practical purposes is cruise.  Disney cruise line is an after thought in the Disney empire and not a significant player in the overall cruise market.  

Disney cruise lines did 2.16B in revenue with 180M in profit

Royal Caribbean Group did 13.9B in revenue with 1.7B in profit.

I imagine the DCL board is as quiet as a ghost town.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

Local news is watching and guessing and doesnt know yet. Could get wet, could have a hurricane. Too early to tell. Cant draw spaghetti lines unless it becomes a hurricane. Just guess.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I suspect it is quiet because they have only five ships.  Three are in Caribbean, one in Alaska and one part time in Europe and then coming back to the Caribbean. RCG has sixty eight ships spread across five brands. All they do, for all practical purposes is cruise.  Disney cruise line is an after thought in the Disney empire and not a significant player in the overall cruise market.  

Disney cruise lines did 2.16B in revenue with 180M in profit

Royal Caribbean Group did 13.9B in revenue with 1.7B in profit.

I imagine the DCL board is as quiet as a ghost town.

Disney Cruise Line also has it's own site, a section of Dis Boards dot com. Facebook groups are also hugely popular for Disney cruises and I get most of the same information I get on here for Royal/Celebrity/etc from the Disney facebook groups for my Disney cruises. 

It's the risk anyone takes with booking a cruise during hurricane season.

I'm sure there is plenty for the family to do on the ship should it rain. 

Go with the flow and enjoy some family time away from home.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It's the risk anyone takes with booking a cruise during hurricane season.

I'm sure there is plenty for the family to do on the ship should it rain. 

Go with the flow and enjoy some family time away from home.   

Agreed. We have never had a bad cruise because of the weather.  And we had one where it rained six of seven days, with rain in every Southern Caribbean port.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Agreed. We have never had a bad cruise because of the weather.  And we had one where it rained six of seven days, with rain in every Southern Caribbean port.  

Back in mid 90's was record Hurricane Season up til then, we had 4 named Storms/Hurricanes that Aug week. Yes was bumpy as we cruised around and behind them but no rain any of our stops. Also last yr on 16n Panama Canal Cruise we ended up with 8 straight Sea Days steering around Mexican Pacific side Hurricane. We were way out in the Pacific, we still had great Cruise! Living in Phoenix now most time, 330 days of Sunshine, love to see rain and even snow when we can

• Like 2