Non drinkers

We don't drink alcohol, but we enjoy the kind of music available in the bars onboard cruise ships. Is it OK to sit in the bars to listen to the music without imbibing?

You’re allowed to sit wherever you want, and drink whatever you want.

If the cruise line is losing revenue over your (wise) decision not to buy their highly overpriced alcohol, that’s none of your concern.

• Like 3

You can enjoy a soda or sparling waster (from the bar, or bring your own travel cup full of soda from your room - as long as you aren't bringing a cooler with you and pouring it while you are in the bar, no one will prohibit you.

• Like 1

We cruised with someone who couldn't drink because of a medical condition and she didn't have much money. They had no problem serving her a glass of water with lemon in it.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 10:19 PM, simplelife said:

You can enjoy a soda or sparling waster (from the bar, or bring your own travel cup full of soda from your room - as long as you aren't bringing a cooler with you and pouring it while you are in the bar, no one will prohibit you.

We had not cruised since 2019 so forgot this. We felt a little guilty at the crowded shows in bars but more annoying were people taking up lots a tables and ignoring the piano guy. 

• Like 1

It is absolutely okay to never order a drink or never have a drink sitting in front of you! (Your cruise fare is your cover charge to all venues.)

If you are in a music/bar venue and a server asks "Can I get you something?", just say No thank you.  He will place a little napkin on your drinks table, and probably set down the drink menu, which will tell other servers not to keep offering.

You will definitely not be alone!  Many go to the various bars for the music, and never have any drinks, alcoholic or otherwise.  We have been among the non-drinkers many, many times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2024 at 2:26 PM, shipgeeks said:

It is absolutely okay to never order a drink or never have a drink sitting in front of you! (Your cruise fare is your cover charge to all venues.)

If you are in a music/bar venue and a server asks "Can I get you something?", just say No thank you.  He will place a little napkin on your drinks table, and probably set down the drink menu, which will tell other servers not to keep offering.

You will definitely not be alone!  Many go to the various bars for the music, and never have any drinks, alcoholic or otherwise.  We have been among the non-drinkers many, many times.

I generally agree with the above thinking, but "many" is not exactly accurate. On our several cruises in the past few years (maybe six times), the nondrinker is quite rare, considering that the vast majority of people buy or have the drink package. Knowing this, it is something you just have to get over and not let it bother you. We enjoy dancing (the kind that takes just a bit of skill) and I wouldn't be able to safely do so if I drank.  We drink so rarely and can't justify the expense of a drink package or the cost of a single drink anymore.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 12:21 PM, KBS1607 said:

We had not cruised since 2019 so forgot this. We felt a little guilty at the crowded shows in bars but more annoying were people taking up lots a tables and ignoring the piano guy. 

On the NCL Prima last summer, I managed to speak to one of the musicians who played in the lounges (a singer/guitar player) as he was leaving the theater (for someone else's performance) and asked what it was like to play in front of people who paid no attention. He just shrugged.

7 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I generally agree with the above thinking, but "many" is not exactly accurate. On our several cruises in the past few years (maybe six times), the nondrinker is quite rare, considering that the vast majority of people buy or have the drink package. Knowing this, it is something you just have to get over and not let it bother you. We enjoy dancing (the kind that takes just a bit of skill) and I wouldn't be able to safely do so if I drank.  We drink so rarely and can't justify the expense of a drink package or the cost of a single drink anymore.

Well, I stand by my use of "many", as we do several cruises a year, but not short ones, which might be different. In any case, it would never occur to me that it would be something to be bothered by. Honestly, no one, passenger or crew member, is looking at a couple who don't have drinks at that moment and thinking "Gee, look at those weird people. What's wrong with them?"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Well, I stand by my use of "many", as we do several cruises a year, but not short ones, which might be different. In any case, it would never occur to me that it would be something to be bothered by. Honestly, no one, passenger or crew member, is looking at a couple who don't have drinks at that moment and thinking "Gee, look at those weird people. What's wrong with them?"

I'm with you on this one.  It is not the majority, but very common in our experience for guests to be in lounges without drinks.  I never thought about anyone feeling weird about it.  Though admittedly there is a lot more drinking happening on Mexican Riviera and Caribbean cruises.  So maybe less common in those places.   

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 5:19 PM, ls340532 said:

We don't drink alcohol, but we enjoy the kind of music available in the bars onboard cruise ships. Is it OK to sit in the bars to listen to the music without imbibing?

Of course it is.  I realize drinking is a topic commonly synonymous with cruising but in reality, you should approach it like you do everything else in life.  Being non-drinkers doesn't prevent one from going to restaurants and shows at home, so it shouldn't on a cruise ship either.  Go, enjoy your cruise, and enjoy the entertainment.  🙂

• Like 3