Silent disco & headline the band taking over?

bandp407

A lover of the “ S” class ships we have become turned off. The great nights  of dancing to the live bands has been sacrificed to accommodate the silent disco ( on multiple nights) & headline the band. Given the only options - the grand foyer & Sky Lounge,  these two events have taken over the weeks evening options. Many may love this , however we enjoy dancing after dinner and are very disappointed with the change. 

Can anyone who is or has recently sailed on in particular the Silhouette comment? Many thanks in advance, 

22 minutes ago, NASCAR Bubba said:

They are trying to increase the participation in the Pocket Pool tournaments. Silent disco also sells more drinks. Might give H A a try much more dancing.

Many thanks-yes, we are considering going back to HAL. Sounds like they have improved their music offerings. We always enjoyed BB KING! 

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What is “headline the band”?  I am not a big dancer but I have no interest in dancing with headphones on.

Headline the the band is basically karaoke. On Princess they have a dedicated lounge, on Celebrity not so. Celebrity uses the Sky Lounge in most cases. The Sky Lounge is a wonderful lounge for dancing and listening to the wonderful bands, but no longer the case. Silent Disco & Headline the Band have taken over! 

25 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Headline the the band is basically karaoke. On Princess they have a dedicated lounge, on Celebrity not so. Celebrity uses the Sky Lounge in most cases. The Sky Lounge is a wonderful lounge for dancing and listening to the wonderful bands, but no longer the case. Silent Disco & Headline the Band have taken over! 

Oh god.   I want to throw myself overboard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Oh god.   I want to throw myself overboard.

Us too! That’s why I posted this. We are moving away on to HAL & Princess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bandp407 said:

Many thanks-yes, we are considering going back to HAL. Sounds like they have improved their music offerings. We always enjoyed BB KING! 

I’ve not sailed on HAL but good friends do so regularly and they love the music row/walk.  They feel it has the best overall and variety of entertainment of all the premium lines.

25 minutes ago, Liao said:

I’ve not sailed on HAL but good friends do so regularly and they love the music row/walk.  They feel it has the best overall and variety of entertainment of all the premium lines.

Thanks much, exactly what we are looking for! 

I'm lost. I don't remember it being called "headline the band", but I believe they did live band sing along on Equinox last November. It was very well attended and people seemed to have a good time. And most of them could actually sing, so it wasn't the crazy bad karaoke thing. The band continued afterwards with their own music. The band at least performed music from this century, which was a pleasant change. Still too much bad 70's music, but that particular band could do a pretty decent take on the Foo Fighters.

The silent disco is actually a lot of fun. I always thought it was pretty silly, but doing it in the Grand Foyer, especially when they use the house band on one of the channels, is a riot. And it lasts all of 45 minutes! Usually less.

What are you looking for in music?

• Like 3

One of the reasons we have moved to HAL from Celebrity 

(Elite Plus) is the entertainment offered on Music Row/Walk.

We have not been disappointed. It fits our musical tastes

perfectly. The Pinnacle Class ships offer the widest variety.

I believe the goal is to increase participation.  Silent Disco truly does that and it is alot of fun. I was initially skeptical but give it a try.  One of the problems with the traditional dancing is the small size of the dance floor.  Just count the number of  cruisers dancing to the sounds of the Silent Disco and that is your answer.  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

we are old school..

A Carib cruise should include a Jimmy Buffet style singer and an Island Band,  or one "man" set up..  Plus a party band...

We also enjoy Jazz and Classical live music plus a good DJ. 

Our recent ASCENT cruise had  top notch music variety including  excellent acoustic group combos..not for dancing but nice to sit and enjoy..and a great Islabd style performer.

Edited by hcat

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, markeb said:

I'm lost. I don't remember it being called "headline the band", but I believe they did live band sing along on Equinox last November. It was very well attended and people seemed to have a good time. And most of them could actually sing, so it wasn't the crazy bad karaoke thing. The band continued afterwards with their own music. The band at least performed music from this century, which was a pleasant change. Still too much bad 70's music, but that particular band could do a pretty decent take on the Foo Fighters.

The silent disco is actually a lot of fun. I always thought it was pretty silly, but doing it in the Grand Foyer, especially when they use the house band on one of the channels, is a riot. And it lasts all of 45 minutes! Usually less.

What are you looking for in music?

I was at a restaurant recently that had a piano.  There was one person playing and three people around it.  One was a man who THOUGHT he could sing.  I can’t imagine a room of them when you’ve got a talented band just standing there.  😳

What time is the Billy Idol sing along?  I will also accept Ozzy Osbourne as a substitute.

Edited by zitsky

8 hours ago, markeb said:

Agree with all of this..

36 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I'll add that The Abba Sing Along seems to be a new regular is very popular! 

Patty

Agreed!  It was standing room only on our cruise.  We also had 3 nights of Silent Disco which was better attended  each time.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keesar said:

I believe the goal is to increase participation.  Silent Disco truly does that and it is alot of fun. I was initially skeptical but give it a try.  One of the problems with the traditional dancing is the small size of the dance floor.  Just count the number of  cruisers dancing to the sounds of the Silent Disco and that is your answer.  

Exactly!  While silent disco is not my thing at all, on every cruise I have been on, it’s a smashing and very crowded success.  It’s here to stay.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Liao said:

Exactly!  While silent disco is not my thing at all, on every cruise I have been on, it’s a smashing and very crowded success.  It’s here to stay.

It’s fun to do, and it is also fun to sit back and people watch…

It is also much better when they do it with 3 live “DJ’s”. Celebrity is the only line I have seen do it this way..

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Us too! That’s why I posted this. We are moving away on to HAL & Princess. 

Exactly the right thing to do. If what Celebrity offer no longer suits move on, that’s what we will do if it happens. Some here want it to change back to what they like, but no vacation provider can ever provide in this case entertainment that will suit everyone’s taste. 

• Like 4

I agree that the silent disco & Abba are a lot of fun! Our objection is running the silent disco and headline the band at the same time. The bands onboard have been excellent. We missed hearing them on many of the nights the other events were going on. But as many have said, you can’t please everyone! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

What is “headline the band”?  I am not a big dancer but I have no interest in dancing with headphones on.

IMO Headline the band is similar to Karaoke. Here the band plays & those talented singers get up & do their thing! 

Posted (edited)

I'm a little confused how anything in particular can be "taking over". With "S" class ships, the silent disco, when held, is typically found in the Sky Observation Lounge. Karaoke, is usually held in a venue forward portside on deck 4.  Other live music is played in the Atrium.  There also are music productions in the theater. Live music is also frequently played in the Ensemble lounge, and occasionally in the Oceanview bar.  But all of the options are spread over the ship and don't interfere with each other.  And they all seem to be equally offered.

There are selections and venues for just about everyone's tastes and no one offering dominates over the other.  If there is something that is not to your liking, you can go somewhere else to find what you might like.

How good or bad the entertainers may be, or whether or not you enjoy the silent disco, or can have a good time listening to fellow passengers attempt Karaoke is completely subjective.  But with the variety of choices offered, I certainly don't see anything worth jumping ship over.  JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I'm a little confused how anything in particular can be "taking over". With "S" class ships, the silent disco, when held, is typically found in the Sky Observation Lounge. Karaoke, is usually held in a venue forward portside on deck 4.  Other live music is played in the Atrium.  There also are music productions in the theater. Live music is also frequently played in the Ensemble lounge, and occasionally in the Oceanview bar.  But all of the options are spread over the ship and don't interfere with each other.  And they all seem to be equally offered.

There are selections and venues for just about everyone's tastes and no one offering dominates over the other.  If there is something that is not to your liking, you can go somewhere else to find what you might like.

How good or bad the entertainers may be, or whether or not you enjoy the silent disco, or can have a good time listening to fellow passengers attempt Karaoke is completely subjective.  But with the variety of choices offered, I certainly don't see anything worth jumping ship over.  JMO.

I just sailed Solstice, ABBA sing along and Silent Disco were both held in the atrium. 

Patty