Celebrity newbie

A couple of questions. How much is the cost of a bag of laundry, how much can you fit in the bag?

What toiletries are supplied? (Do they supply conditioner as standard)?

How chic is chic night likely to be on an Asian cruise? Will my husband need a suit?

Thank you to all you experts.

16 minutes ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

A couple of questions. How much is the cost of a bag of laundry, how much can you fit in the bag?

How chic is chic night likely to be on an Asian cruise? Will my husband need a suit?

They do supply both shampoo and conditioner, and also shower gel and bar soap.

Most people follow the dress code guidelines and dress up accordingly on chic nights.  A suit is not required. You will see some men in business suits, some in sports jackets with nice trousers,. and a very few in tuxedos.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

A jacket is not required for men either, nor is a tie.  Just decent trousers and nice shirt will do.

From Celebrity ‘s FAQ on Evening Chic : “If you do not wish to participate in Evening Chic, Smart Casual attire is acceptable for dining and theater.”

Edited by odysee
  • Like 1

Aloha. Blessed to sail celebrity since its inception and countless times throughout the world since. Much more casual these days and I am confident you will have a magical time. Keep us posted and enjoy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odysee said:

A jacket is not required for men either, nor is a tie.  Just decent trousers and nice shirt will do.

From Celebrity ‘s FAQ on Evening Chic : “If you do not wish to participate in Evening Chic, Smart Casual attire is acceptable for dining and theater.”

Thank you, but I was looking for people's actual experiences on very hot weather cruises. Do people dress up, not bother or somewhere in between? 

Posted (edited)

As I said, some get very dressed up in formal wear, and others simply follow the dress code as listed. And it doesn’t make much difference whether it’s a hot weather South Asia cruise or a cold weather North Asia cruise. The interior venues are all temperature controlled all.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

Thank you, but I was looking for people's actual experiences on very hot weather cruises. Do people dress up, not bother or somewhere in between? 

Post #3 included the actual Celebrity FAQ

10 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

As much as you can stuff in a Celebrity Laundry Bag, figure at least a weeks worth of clothes depending on how bulky your clothes are.

Laundry Packages - Shipboard prices.jpeg

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

You say you're a Celebrity "newbie", but don't say if you have any loyalty status on one of the other two associated lines (Royal and Silversea).  If so, you might find some laundry perks in store as well.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

You say you're a Celebrity "newbie", but don't say if you have any loyalty status on one of the other two associated lines (Royal and Silversea).  If so, you might find some laundry perks in store as well.

No, we have only sailed Cunard and P&O, used to self service launderettes 

3 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

No, we have only sailed Cunard and P&O, used to self service launderettes 

Those lines make you do your own laundry?  I suppose you can still send it out?

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Those lines make you do your own laundry?  I suppose you can still send it out?

You could send it out but most of the CCL owned lines provide the ability to do a load of  laundry yourself.  The exceptions are HAL, Costa, and the Carnival ships that were once Costa.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

You could send it out but most of the CCL owned lines provide the ability to do a load of  laundry yourself.  The exceptions are HAL, Costa, and the Carnival ships that were once Costa.

Some HAL ships have self service laundrettes

On 8/3/2024 at 9:16 AM, Dorset cruise fan said:

@Dorset cruise fan DH and I are about to do our first Celebrity cruise (in October) and I have pre-purchased a bag of ‘wash & fold’ laundry through the app. It is showing on-board price of £45 and a 18% discount if pre-purchased. Laundry services are listed under ‘gifts & gear’ in the Celebrity app and there are various options. (BTW we have sailed Princess and Ambassador previously so are also used to having access to self-service.) 

I hope you enjoy your first Celebrity experience 😀

1 minute ago, Martha1974 said:

@Dorset cruise fan DH and I are about to do our first Celebrity cruise (in October) and I have pre-purchased a bag of ‘wash & fold’ laundry through the app. It is showing on-board price of £45 and a 18% discount if pre-purchased. Laundry services are listed under ‘gifts & gear’ in the Celebrity app and there are various options. (BTW we have sailed Princess and Ambassador previously so are also used to having access to self-service.) 

I hope you enjoy your first Celebrity experience 😀

Thank you, that sound just what we need. We have 3 days in Singapore before we start and with tge heat snd humidity we're going to be getting through a fair bit I think. I will check the app.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Some HAL ships have self service laundrettes

Celebrity’s new 2025 marketing campaign.  “You don’t have to do your own laundry!”.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

And it doesn’t make much difference whether it’s a hot weather South Asia cruise or a cold weather North Asia cruise. The interior venues are all temperature controlled all.

I believe the reference to itinerary wasn't about the temperature, but the demographics and attitudes of the guests. European and exotic cruises (such as OP asked about) will be potentially more upscale on chic night with more dressing up.

In contrast, with Caribbean/Bahama cruises, particularly of short duration, chic night is hardly distinguishable from other nights. You may see others in a jacket and tie, but they will be the exception. While I used to enjoy bringing my tux on cruises, that's just not happening any more for me. I bring a tie to go with a dress shirt, but last two Caribbean cruises, I didn't even bother with that.

The bottom line is to dress how you want to dress* and not worry about it. If you want to dress super fancy, great. If not, that's fine too. You do you.

* This is not to be construed as including wife beater t-shirts, baseball caps, etc. I used to would say shorts also, but they seem to be fairly common now at dinner (again, on Caribbean cruises).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

I believe the reference to itinerary wasn't about the temperature, but the demographics and attitudes of the guests.

While I'd agree about demographics actually being the primary driver, the OP was definitely referring to the 'weather':

"Thank you, but I was looking for people's actual experiences on very hot weather cruises."

Thank you for all your replies and advice. I have just paid for the bag of laundry, worth doing in advance and saves me having to worry about washing my smalls! And having stuff drip drying in the bathroom. 

Regarding the chic or not chic, as I've previously mentioned we have mainly sailed Cunard and P&O where formal nights are strictly adhered to and have always enjoyed that. But don't really want to take all that stuff on an Asian cruise and yes, the temperature inside is air con but just feels a bit strange (for Brits amongst us think Carry on up the Khyber) to be wearing a Dinner Jacket in heat and humidity. Easier for us women to adapt what we wear than men but don't want husband to feel under or over dressed. And the trouble with a loose dress code is that it is interpreted, well, loosely, whereas I prefer a clearer idea of what is expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

I believe the reference to itinerary wasn't about the temperature, but the demographics and attitudes of the guests. European and exotic cruises (such as OP asked about) will be potentially more upscale on chic night with more dressing up.

You are right, demographics on a cruise can make a big difference as to what people choose to wear. Itineraries also, some more nature based cruises (Iceland, Alaska) people don't seem to want to do the formal bits so much.

1 hour ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

You are right, demographics on a cruise can make a big difference as to what people choose to wear. Itineraries also, some more nature based cruises (Iceland, Alaska) people don't seem to want to do the formal bits so much.

Do you consider pants and a polo shirt “formal”?  I understand the desire to be comfortable during the day but it’s not much effort to “dress up” at dinner.

3 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

Thank you for all your replies and advice. I have just paid for the bag of laundry, worth doing in advance and saves me having to worry about washing my smalls! And having stuff drip drying in the bathroom. 

Regarding the chic or not chic, as I've previously mentioned we have mainly sailed Cunard and P&O where formal nights are strictly adhered to and have always enjoyed that. But don't really want to take all that stuff on an Asian cruise and yes, the temperature inside is air con but just feels a bit strange (for Brits amongst us think Carry on up the Khyber) to be wearing a Dinner Jacket in heat and humidity. Easier for us women to adapt what we wear than men but don't want husband to feel under or over dressed. And the trouble with a loose dress code is that it is interpreted, well, loosely, whereas I prefer a clearer idea of what is expected.

Def not as dressed up as Cunard.. When we sailed with them, they provided a guide for each night/ event.   Strictly observed.

Most  X guests have a nice interp of chic nite dress  vs smart  casual... My husb likes his silk Tommy Bahama shirts or gubaveas(sp?) for dress up night..vs a collared knit for casual.. We cruise Carib itins but similar choices ok for Asia..  be dressed but comfy!

..Some who prefer more casual do the minimum to get by.. others go  all out and still dress quite elegant!

there may be a Shine Night (sparkly) or White Night deck party in the Carib ports ..no idea abt other itins

• Like 1