Removing Gratuities Onboard at Guest Services

57 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

...Or for the staff to see

There are articles that interview crew members where they state they get a list. I can’t provide the link because Cruise Critic won’t allow the link from another cruise website but here is a quote from one such article. 

“Q: How are gratuities actually distributed?

A: In my opinion, and this goes for many of my friends who work on the ship, they should not be called “gratuities.” Many departments — for example, housekeeping and waiters — have salaries based on the gratuities. When guests remove gratuities, they are taking our part of that salary. At the end of the cruise, when guests leave the ship, we are provided with lists of our guests who paid and those who removed gratuities.

This is how the company shows us why our salaries are lower or higher. Imagine the situation when a guest goes back on the same ship and have a waiter who knows that last time, they removed gratuities. But the waiter will serve them again with full respect and do his best, because that is his job, even if he knows they will remove the gratuities again. If half of the guests remove their gratuities, then we get just half our salary.“

• Haha 4

I like to give cash tips. I leave my auto gratuities alone. Everyone deserves something, but those who do more deserve to be rewarded. That’s just me though. I will look for the list on my tour, it’s a curiosity thing now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

There are articles that interview crew members where they state they get a list. I can’t provide the link because Cruise Critic won’t allow the link from another cruise website but here is a quote from one such article. 

A: In my opinion, and this goes for many of my friends who work on the ship, they should not be called “gratuities.” Many departments — for example, housekeeping and waiters — have salaries based on the gratuities. When guests remove gratuities, they are taking our part of that salary. At the end of the cruise, when guests leave the ship, we are provided with lists of our guests who paid and those who removed gratuities.

This is how the company shows us why our salaries are lower or higher. Imagine the situation when a guest goes back on the same ship and have a waiter who knows that last time, they removed gratuities. But the waiter will serve them again with full respect and do his best, because that is his job, even if he knows they will remove the gratuities again. If half of the guests remove their gratuities, then we get just half our salary.“

Firstly i agree should bot be called gratuities.

Secondly, rhey should be paid a fair wage and not expected for passengers to pay the extra. This means they always know exactly how much they are getting paid each month.

Thirdly, if true then thats really bad by Royal to hand out names of passengers to the staff. Room stewards will know of course as rhey clean their rooms,  however what about the other staff gratuities go too. Do they get a list of names as well? Very poor data protection by royal.....if true. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Very poor data protection by royal.....if true. 

No way are they doing this! Just think about all the effort and money they would need to spend for nothing....

People are just claiming this to push their agenda!

And having this in the galley is totally absurd!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

No way are they doing this! Just think about all the effort and money they would need to spend for nothing....

People are just claiming this to push their agenda!

And having this in the galley is totally absurd!

When you think about it, aside from cabin attendant and MDR servers who in all likelihood get handed a cash tip anyway, who in the tip pool knows your name? What is the point of making a meaningless list of names to pass around? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Secondly, rhey should be paid a fair wage and not expected for passengers to pay the extra. This means they always know exactly how much they are getting paid each month.

Thirdly, if true then thats really bad by Royal to hand out names of passengers to the staff. Room stewards will know of course as rhey clean their rooms,  however what about the other staff gratuities go too. Do they get a list of names as well? Very poor data protection by royal.....if true. 

I agree

It's obviously not true 🤷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Certain places that I have been do not have tipping (like Australia).  But many of the restaurants there that I dined in had a line on the bill that said service charge.  It was mandatory.  So does it matter what you call it?  

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Absolute rubbish!! NOTHING about this quote makes any sense. No business in the world would provide their employees with this information. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Absolute rubbish!! NOTHING about this quote makes any sense. No business in the world would provide their employees with this information.

Actually, this is the main reason that the crew salary is from the DSC for the most part.  This forces the crew into a "team" customer service effort, to keep the DSC pool up, while taking the blame for reduced salary when DSC is removed away from the cruise line and placing it on the passenger.  And, it is not just RCI that does this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, this is the main reason that the crew salary is from the DSC for the most part.  This forces the crew into a "team" customer service effort, to keep the DSC pool up, while taking the blame for reduced salary when DSC is removed away from the cruise line and placing it on the passenger.  And, it is not just RCI that does this.

I understand the concept, and I could even see the cruise line releasing a “weekly report” to the crew regarding % of auto gratuity removed or some such. I can not agree that the crew are given a list of specific passenger’s names that removed them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Every passenger is counted toward the pool whether they auto pay or not. The cruise lines formula assumes that some of those who removed auto gratuities did tip in cash. I am not saying that everyone who says they cash tip is lying. Some like the personal touch. Some come from countries and cultures where tipping is not the norm and people don’t tip. Those countries and cultures actually have it right in my opinion but that is another discussion. In any case the cash tips are still being pooled whether the crew turns in the cash or not because the cruise line has a formula for applying an amount whether passengers actually tipped cash or not. As for the list in the galley on a gallery tour and one I saw on a cart both were not meant to be seen by passengers. It was sloppiness. Others have reported seeing lists and former crew members have reported the lists. You do care because you keep saying you could care less or that there are no such lists. 

I honestly would find it hard to believe that the cash tip that I hand discreetly to our room steward is being handed over for the pool. Same goes for the tips we also discreetly hand to servers, and other staff. Do you think tips that people give to Suite or crown lounge concierge and pocketed immediately are handed in towards the pool? 
I really find that hard to believe. And we don’t remove auto tips, but usually give extra in cash handed to the crew.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I apologize for my ignorance…..but what does DSC mean?

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

At the end of the cruise, when guests leave the ship, we are provided with lists of our guests who paid and those who removed gratuities.

If the list is provided "at the end of the cruise", how is it possible to see it while doing the galley tour during the cruise?  

Is the ability to see into the future a new C&A benefit? 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Certain places that I have been do not have tipping (like Australia).  But many of the restaurants there that I dined in had a line on the bill that said service charge.  It was mandatory.  So does it matter what you call it?  

Yes makes a huge difference.

A service charge is usually an extra madated charge for services, eg would say 10% service charge added. 

Gratuities is an optional charge usually given for services above the usually expected service received.

At the minute the cruise line calls them Gratuities therefor they are optional and means for services above the expected level of service. 

So the terminology makes a huge difference. 

Call it a service charge add it to the cruise fair and it would 

A, Ensure the staff get a set wage each month

B, Stop all the arguing between keepers and removers. 

Or lets go wild and how about the multi billion dollar cruise companies with mult millionaire CEOs actually pay the staff a decent wage and accept they will have to keep prices competitive with other cruise lines or holiday locations........then let us passengers decide who to tip, when to tip and how much......

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

If the list is provided "at the end of the cruise", how is it possible to see it while doing the galley tour during the cruise?  

I don’t know if they update the list during the cruise or the one posted in the galley was a final list from the previous sailing. 

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

....But the waiter will serve them again with full respect and do his best, because that is his job, even if he knows they will remove the gratuities again. If half of the guests remove their gratuities, then we get just half our salary.“

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I need some clarification on the point where the former crew member stated that they would lose half their salary if half the customers remove their gratuities.

I was under the understanding that when the crew signs their contract, they are guaranteed a minimum amount based on a small base salary plus "expected" tips. If the "expected" tips portion falls short due to people removing their gratuities. isn't the cruise line responsible for making up that portion?   So they are not really losing "half" of their salary, just not making more than the contracted amount, which can be substantial if enough people tip above & beyond the auto grats.

If that's accurate, it seems like that former crew member is stretching the truth a bit.

• Like 2

The sob story of a crew member to get more tipping. They don't hand out a list of who removed their gratuity    and they don't print a list of who gave cash as they went along. These scare tactics have taken on a life of their own.   If and I say IF there is a list of names in the galley it is for the waiter to know what passengers they are serving in traditional dining NOT who removed gratuity.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is the point of making a meaningless list of names to pass around? 

Exactly! Totally useless and will only cause trouble! Royal has absolutely no interest in having trouble between servers and guests - they avoid ANYTHING to confront guests and yet they would breach all kind of laws to create such a list? NO way!

They list that some claim to be "the list" might be anything from an excuse list to who ordered steak that nicht....but it is used to push an agenda and create fear and more smoke and mirrors! What a sick system it is - but apparently it still works!

• Like 4

Yes makes a huge difference.

A service charge is usually an extra madated charge for services, eg would say 10% service charge added. 

Gratuities is an optional charge usually given for services above the usually expected service received.

At the minute the cruise line calls them Gratuities therefor they are optional and means for services above the expected level of service. 

So the terminology makes a huge difference. 

Call it a service charge add it to the cruise fair and it would 

A, Ensure the staff get a set wage each month

B, Stop all the arguing between keepers and removers. 

Or lets go wild and how about the multi billion dollar cruise companies with mult millionaire CEOs actually pay the staff a decent wage and accept they will have to keep prices competitive with other cruise lines or holiday locations........then let us passengers decide who to tip, when to tip and how much......

PREACH!!!!!

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I need some clarification on the point where the former crew member stated that they would lose half their salary if half the customers remove their gratuities.

I was under the understanding that when the crew signs their contract, they are guaranteed a minimum amount based on a small base salary plus "expected" tips. If the "expected" tips portion falls short due to people removing their gratuities. isn't the cruise line responsible for making up that portion?   So they are not really losing "half" of their salary, just not making more than the contracted amount, which can be substantial if enough people tip above & beyond the auto grats.

If that's accurate, it seems like that former crew member is stretching the truth a bit.

You are 100% correct.  The crew base salary is GUARANTEED by the cruise line and international labor laws.  Your auto gratuity goes to making this happen, if the "fund" falls short then the cruise line makes up the difference.  Your participation in the auto gratuity makes little to no difference in the pay packet of the crew members included in the pool.

Cash on the other hand makes a big difference.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Exactly! Totally useless and will only cause trouble! Royal has absolutely no interest in having trouble between servers and guests - they avoid ANYTHING to confront guests and yet they would breach all kind of laws to create such a list? NO way!

They list that some claim to be "the list" might be anything from an excuse list to who ordered steak that nicht....but it is used to push an agenda and create fear and more smoke and mirrors! What a sick system it is - but apparently it still works!

What laws would be breached if a list was created? Creating a list of cheap passengers who removed gratuities would not violate any kind of law(s), at least in the USA. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What laws would be breached if a list was created? Creating a list of cheap passengers who removed gratuities would not violate any kind of law(s), at least in the USA. 

That's the problem - not only USA passengers....might not be problem with US passengers...