Package Question - First Timer

Going on first cruise - the Princess Packages are on sale for 60% off. Even then it will cost us over $1400 because we are doing the 12 day British Isles cruise. It include crew appreciation which would normally be $500 (based on what I have read). My partner and I are not big drinkers but we do enjoy a cocktail or two. I am curious about the value of the specialty dining, can anyone share what that is? also do you think this deal will be available up until we cruise or is 60% off really more of a standard offer? thanks!

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Secondactsailor said:

Going on first cruise - the Princess Packages are on sale for 60% off. Even then it will cost us over $1400 because we are doing the 12 day British Isles cruise. It include crew appreciation which would normally be $500 (based on what I have read). My partner and I are not big drinkers but we do enjoy a cocktail or two. I am curious about the value of the specialty dining, can anyone share what that is? also do you think this deal will be available up until we cruise or is 60% off really more of a standard offer? thanks!

The packages are not on “sale”.  The 60% savings is versus what you would spend if you bought the items included in the package a-la-carte.  
Princess Plus is $60 US a day, Premier is $80 US a day (there has been a recent rumour that the price will increase).

It does appear that Premier has changed to $90 US a day (just changed on Princess website).

Edited by Abercrombie2019
Update
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

For us it is worth getting a package.  We then know that almost everything we would want on the cruise is paid for - fully inclusive holiday.  We do not have to think about if we want a drink and have to pay for it, we paid for it up front and know how much the total holiday will cost (apart from shopping and possibly some bingo)

with the plus package you receive 2 casual restaurant meals (e.g. posh pizza, vines, etc) and with the premier you receive unlimited casual restaurants and 2 speciality restaurants (e.g. steak, seafood, etc).  The buffet and main dining room are included in all fares so there is always plenty of food.

If you want internet and you have 2-3 drinks a day then plus usually is a good deal.  Premier is good if you like higher end wines and want to go to the speciality restaurants.

Edited by Mara4166

1 hour ago, Secondactsailor said:

So, you're looking at the Plus Cruise Package, with that pricing.

Which does not include Specialty Dining.

Specialty Dining are the more upscale, multi course restaurants, that run $35-45usd, depending on ship and restaurant.

Plus Cruise Package includes 2 Casual dining meals. These are more casual, walk-up, table served fast casual dining.   They are prix fixe meals, $14.99 if you purchase independent of a package, 3 courses : app, main, dessert (based on specific restaurant).

As we don't know what ship you're looking at, can't say specifically which you would have aboard, but they're places like O'Malley's, Alfredo's, Vines, Planks, Ocean Terrace Seafood, Steamers, Salty Dog Gastropub, etc.  

The Cruise Packages also include Wi-Fi Internet access, with the Plus Cruise Package including one device (at a time) access. Buying independently, WiFi for one device costs $24.99usd per night, if purchased for entire sailing.. 

So, with crew appreciation at $16-18 pp per night, depending on cabin, and WiFi at $24.99, you're at $41-43usd per night already..with $19-17 leftover daily that is drinks including non-alcoholic, premium desserts, casual dining,. premium exercise classes, room service delivery, Ocean Now delivery, and so forth.  With alcoholic drinks averages $10-15, that's 2 drinks a day to "break even".  Throw in a few nonalcoholic drinks and that amount goes down.  Use room service a few times, and the amount of drinks on average to break even goes down further. And so forth.. 

You'd have to do the math for yourself if it makes sense or not.

And the packages aren't in sale at 60% off. That's the savings with buying a package over buying the various components individually...

The Plus standalone beverage package is $64.99-18% gratuity daily, for $77 a night. WiFi is $25. Crew appreciation, $16-18. And so forth... bundled together, it's cheaper.

• Like 1

No dale but if each person is going to drink 3-4 cocktails a day plus waters and barista coffees the it is a good deal.  Not drink that much not a good deal. just my opinion

You might have noticed another thread on the topic of changes to what is covered in the packages, price and covered things, internet optional speeds. This change seems to be within the last day. You should review these changes on the Princess website. It may answer your question of value. 

You ask specifically about the specialty restaurants which you would now need to go Premier at $90, or $2160 for two for the 12 days. If you don't buy the packages, I think specialty dining is $39pp plus 18% gratuity. I may off on current price, but it's close.  Most ships offer a steak house or Italian. Some ships a seafood place. To us, food is good, but not worth the expense considering we've already paid for the main dining room.

• Like 3

For me, the break-even point is two alcoholic drinks a day plus some bottles of sparkling water. I will occasionally have one of the premium teas as well. I don't drink coffee, but you could add specialty coffees into your calculations if you do as well as soft drinks. Having Plus makes things easier because I've paid upfront for my drinks, gratuities, and internet.

That said, I did not have it a couple of years ago because I had so much in onboard credit to spend. Between my free Elite minibar items, the couple of bottles of wine I brought onboard, and taking advantage of any free drink opportunities (champagne waterfall, Captain's Circle party, etc.), I ended up with less than $80 in charges for drinks in 16 days.

4 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

The packages are not on “sale”.  The 60% savings is versus what you would spend if you bought the items included in the package a-la-carte.  
Princess Plus is $60 US a day, Premier is $80 US a day (there has been a recent rumour that the price will increase).

It does appear that Premier has changed to $90 US a day (just changed on Princess website).

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Secondactsailor welcome to Cruise critic and your first Princess cruise. Lots of threads out there if you look about all the packages. Go to Princess.com, it will tell you what is included and some prices. Basically just look up a la carte prices of what you would want in the package and see if it’s worth it for you.
Not everyone drinks, alcohol, soda, specialty coffees, nor do they want the Internet, etc.

So only you can decide what you would want on a cruise and if it’s worth it for you to get a package.

Standard cruise fare works out for a lot of people and then the plus and premier packages are very popular as well.

Specialty dining is about $39 per person. Lots of menus out there with the price on them depending on what ship you’re on and what venue.

The dining room ( seated waiter/waitress service) is available everyday and it’s complimentary for breakfast and dinner and lunch on sea days.

Buffet,lido deck pizza or grill, & International café if your ship has one is also included.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 6:13 AM, Secondactsailor said:

$60/day

$25/day wifi (tho this could be shared...so potentially $12.50 value)

$16/day gratuities

Leaves $19-$31.50/day each for drinks: specialty coffees, sodas, alcohol, water bottles.

Alcoholic drinks run $8-15 plus tip (tip is included in the $60), so 2 alcoholic drinks/day EASILY get you there, without even considering the others drinks you may want.

We have enjoyed the 2 casual dinner options as well.

We find the 2 fitness classes nice but not that big of a deal.

The desserts are a waste (truly WAY TOO MUCH), tho gelato was included on Regal so that was nice. 

We find Princes Plus one of the best deals at sea--the drink package alone is more than $60/day on most lines! (NCL's Free at Sea compares, sort of--$20/day for drinks, but water & coffee NOT included, and tips aren't included, internet is not unlimited, but you get a specialty dinner or 2, and $ off shore excurisions...which are so overpriced it's pretty much a joke)

We really liked having the Plus Fare on our cruise in July. Almost everything we wanted was included. We had $100 in OBC and I had trouble finding something to spend it on. We paid for our laundry tokens and bought some souvenirs and still had money left so I put it into a slot machine, played for a little while and cashed out what was left. It was so nice to walk off of the ship with no bill!

• Like 1